Push Bar - 30th August

PUSH Bar Wednesday 30th August 2006

Dean Street, London, W1.

The Push bar is a small basement venue in the heart of Soho, with a wooden dance floor. No draught beer, but bottles are normally only £2 until late on. The residents are Mike Ritson (publisher of Manifesto), Simon White (Metropolitan Soul Show) and Neil Rushton, although Neil hasn't been in evidence much of late due to other commitments. You may have seen comments on here about the state of the toilets, but the quality of the music more than makes up for that. The night runs on the last Wednesday of the month from 8.30 till late. On previous nights this has extended to 02.30 and very much depends on the numbers through the door. Numbers have always been low but the advertised £5 entry fee has never actually been charged so it might be an idea to adjust the advertising Mike! Because the venue is small this has never really been a problem and the few regulars are treated to a wide spectrum of 60s and 70s tunes (and the very occasional track from the 80s). As the night generally coincides with the publication of Manifesto, Mike quite often hands a few copies out to the early arrivals - a nice touch!

Guests this month were Dave Cohen and myself. I arrived early and took to the decks to play a few out of my sales box for Mike 9 - 9.30: Not in play order

Major Lance - Dark & lonely - UK Contempo

Dunn & Bruce Street - Moment of Truth - Devaki

Firm of Hodges James Smith & Crawford - Let's pick up the pieces - Mpingo

Hollywood Flames - I'm gonna stand by you / I'm comin' home - Symbol

Sharon Redd - Half as much - Veep DJ

Embers - It ain't necessary / It ain't no big thing - Bell DJ

Fasinations - Mama didn't lie - ABC DJ

Dee Edwards - You say you love me - Tuba

Ruby Winters - In the middle of a heartache - Diamond

Jackie Wilson - It only happens when I look at you - UK Brunswick

Jaibi - What good am I - Kapp DJ

Tony Amaro & Chariots - Runnin' away / Hey baby - Loma DJ

Worth it cos I sold 2 of em!

Guest set about 11.30ish

Terry Callier - Ordinary Joe - Cadet DJ

Dells - Closer - Cadet

Terry Callier - I just can't help myself - Cadet DJ

Dramatics - Since I've been in love - Volt

Isley Brothers - Who's that lady - United Artists

Bobby Reed - If I didn't love you - Bell

Epsilons - The echo - Stax

Ed Robinson - Temptation's 'bout to get me - Atco DJ

Satin - Your love's got me - Shell DJ

Al Christian - I'm a lonely man - Chant DJ

Al Martin - Rome wasn't built in a day - UK Rio

Kenny Gamble - The joke's on you - Arctic DJ

Simon took over from me and played some great stuff. I packed up at 12.45 and got the Night Bus home with Wigan Dave. Got home about 2.15, 4 hours sleep and back up for work at 6.45. The things we do without for our passion!

The night could do with a few more attending - so if you're in the London area on the last Wednesday of the month you know where to go :lol:

• Replies 0
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Source Advert