Proper Soulies

===========

Nothing wrong with educating a crowd, as long as the record they're pushing works on the dancefloor. Chalky pushes lots of underplayed stuff, but in general when I listen to one of his sets I'm never off the floor. He understands what a dancefloor wants, unfortunately can't say that for all would be educators, some seem to want to put thier personal choice before what the punters want. Not a dig at anyone in particular, but I do think there are too many wannabe DJs, yeah keep the scene fresh and interesting, but not at the expense of the musical ethic.

Winnie;-)

Examples?

I dont think i've herd any one play anything at the expense of 'musical eithic' Soul sam is an educator but im not keen on 70% of his playlists, doesn't mean its at the expense of musicle ethic does it :thumbsup: I thought putting your personal choice was what its all about? you wouldn't have a tune in your box that you dont like, but have it because it packs the floor would you?

Any way back on the original topic, i did see a flyer the other day with ......nah im not going to say it :thumbsup: i'll proberly get shot down in flames

Social source share

• Replies 158
  • Views 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Examples?

I dont think i've herd any one play anything at the expense of 'musical eithic' Soul sam is an educator but im not keen on 70% of his playlists, doesn't mean its at the expense of musicle ethic does it :thumbsup: I thought putting your personal choice was what its all about? you wouldn't have a tune in your box that you dont like, but have it because it packs the floor would you?

Any way back on the original topic, i did see a flyer the other day with ......nah im not going to say it :thumbsup: i'll proberly get shot down in flames

=============

Examples would be adding fuel to a fire, wannabe DJs is all that needs to be said. Examples of good educators.... Arthur Fenn, Soul Sam, Butch, Chalky, Mick H, Carl Fortnum, Andy Rix, Andy D, Keb D, Jo Wallace, James Trouble, Ady C, there are others, but these are all people that if they were playing something new I'd give it a listen, and probably think yeah I'd dance to that. Most of them have 25/30 years experience on the scene, not that thats imperative as James proves, but they know their audiences.

Personal choice is what its about, but sometimes with some DJs IMO they put their personal choice above the level that it actually is at. Again I'm not going to name anyone because as I said its a just my own viewpoint.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

=============

Examples would be adding fuel to a fire, wannabe DJs is all that needs to be said. Examples of good educators.... Arthur Fenn, Soul Sam, Butch, Chalky, Mick H, Carl Fortnum, Andy Rix, Andy D, Keb D, Jo Wallace, James Trouble, Ady C, there are others, but these are all people that if they were playing something new I'd give it a listen, and probably think yeah I'd dance to that. Most of them have 25/30 years experience on the scene, not that thats imperative as James proves, but they know their audiences.

Personal choice is what its about, but sometimes with some DJs IMO they put their personal choice above the level that it actually is at. Again I'm not going to name anyone because as I said its a just my own viewpoint.

Winnie:-)

I cant argue with that :thumbsup:

But like my original point is that you have listed some of the top DJ's in the world (in northern soul terms) and they all have one thing in common they are educators and put there personal touch which is what its all about imo :thumbsup:

Social source share

Point out Dennis with all respect where it became one on one. I thought you may have known who Spinner is because you have taken an interest in wanting to know why his account was closed. There are some who are gullible and some who are not. I don't think the tone of the last post was 'nice'.

Just trying to provoke comment. Lets not take things so personally a? Its not life and death this its just a night out!! :thumbsup:

The only thing I saw that guy Spinner said was its Pilsley badge & who who are you two comments which I could not see what harm he did?who ever he or she is

Regarding taking it personal your debate asked about flyers that you have seen "night for 'proper soulies' or 'soulies only' that means you were querying about what other venues mean when they put such statements on there flyers I thought you asking for a personal view. Other comment progressed as you have seen & some of them you have agreed with, one were about politics & too what they ware do you think the 1000s that read all what said, some would not take it personal?

But Mr & Mrs Bridget I would not and have not tried to insult you because I have great respect for you & yours regardless of what you have been told.

What other people do and say about me or you should not matter because the soul lives on in all of us, as you well know there are some out there trying to spoil the soul scene with statements like he said you said she said please ignore them if I had anything to say I would say it ask any one that knows me.

]K.T.F PAL

dendog

Edited by Dendog
Social source share

The only thing I saw that guy Spinner said was its Pilsley badge & who who are you two comments which I could not see what harm he did?who ever he or she is

Regarding taking it personal your debate asked about flyers that you have seen "night for 'proper soulies' or 'soulies only' that means you were querying about what other venues mean when they put such statements on there flyers I thought you asking for a personal view. Other comment progressed as you have seen & some of them you have agreed with, one were about politics & too what they ware do you think the 1000s that read all what said, some would not take it personal?

But Mr & Mrs Bridget I would not and have not tried to insult you because I have great respect for you & yours regardless of what you have been told.

What other people do and say about me or you should not matter because the soul lives on in all of us, as you well know there are some out there trying to spoil the soul scene with statements like he said you said she said please ignore them if I had anything to say I would say it ask any one that knows me.

]K.T.F PAL

dendog

Hi Dendog,

sorry mate but the thread doesn't ask a question about 'whats on the flyer' , secondly it didn't question the group offering the flyer or the promoters intentions. Maybe you missed the point, I don't care who promotes what, where, why or when or what language they use on their flyers, my question was and still is 'whats a proper soulie'.

Whatever folks make of that is up to them but it will not change the reason I posted the thread and it is quite clear as you read through the thread that the debate has moved on from my original post :thumbsup:

Edited by bridget
Social source share

Hi Dendog,

sorry mate but the thread doesn't ask a question about 'whats on the flyer' , secondly it didn't question the group offering the flyer or the promoters intentions. Maybe you missed the point, I don't care who promotes what, where, why or when or what language they use on their flyers, my question was and still is 'whats a proper soulie'.

Whatever folks make of that is up to them but it will not change the reason I posted the thread and it is quite clear as you read through the thread that the debate has moved on from my original post :thumbsup:

just sent you an email but i do agree its gone form one thing to something els i cant be a proper soulie for not understanding the question i may need educating in a different format

Social source share