Proper Soulies

Your telling me you've never whitnessed outsiders get scawned at? Glyn was the same look at them over there, pointing at them and looking at them till i pointed out they were actually doing no harm and have paid there money same as us and have as much right to be here as any one else.

Sorry i happen to think the word soulie is a cheesy as you can get and just reminds me of bags covered with badges and the dreaded fancy dress, nothing to do with heritage. Im not living in the seventys im living today sorry if i happen to think some things are just plain strange or what ever thumbsup.gif

==========

Course I've seen soulies pour scorn on 'outsiders' but have also witnessed these same people taking the piss out of dancers, do you think thats ok? I'd still maintain it's not a typical view, most 'soul folk', just go out and enjoy themselves from what I've seen :D

Its a convenient word that describes people who go to soul events, can't see anything strange about it at all?? I think associating 'soulie' with bags and badges is strange considering how many people are on the scene that don't subscribe to either fashion.

Perhaps if we all carried light sabres we could substitute starship troopers for soulies? :(

While we're at it you always bring up bags etc, but don't the youth of today have uniforms? Hoodies jeans, trainers and of course baseball caps. Why oh why oh why don't they go and live in the ghetto if they want to dress like that........see its easy to make sweeping statements thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 158
  • Views 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

carried light sabres we could substitute starship troopers for soulies? :D

While we're at it you always bring up bags etc, but don't the youth of today have uniforms? Hoodies jeans, trainers and of course baseball caps. Why oh why oh why don't they go and live in the ghetto if they want to dress like that........see its easy to make sweeping statements thumbsup.gif

Ahem! To be fair... it was me that first brought up 'bags' and referred to both the trouser type and the 'allnighter' type in my post!

Let's not have anyone else taking the credit for my insults.

biggrin.gif

Sean

Social source share

Ahem! To be fair... it was me that first brought up 'bags' and referred to both the trouser type and the 'allnighter' type in my post!

Let's not have anyone else taking the credit for my insults.

biggrin.gif

Sean

=============

Doesn't really matter who brought it up, its just another example of people trying to create a two tier system within the soul scene and it just gets really tedious. Why anyone would want to foster an us and them scenario, and appear to be proud of it is beyond me. Its probably the main reason why I and many others don't visit the "pick your free superiority complex up at the door" venues very often.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

if you see on a flyer real soulies welcome only then we should all go and see who get lets in. they will prob judge us all. or ask questions which die hard fans would know from the top of there head.

Social source share

Glyn was the same look at them over there, pointing at them and looking at them till i pointed out they were actually doing no harm and have paid there money same as us and have as much right to be here as any one else.

Sorry i happen to think the word soulie is a cheesy as you can get and just reminds me of bags covered with badges and the dreaded fancy dress, nothing to do with heritage. Im not living in the seventys im living today sorry if i happen to think some things are just plain strange or what ever thumbsup.gif

I'm sorry??? do i know you?? I presume you're talking to me?

anyway, Then i'm paranoid.

Sorry like but I just don't like it. assholes just coming out for a theme disco night just don't do it for me.

I was at Rolls Royce a few Months ago and went for a pee in the loo - this bloke walked in and said 'good night innit' - not bad I said but not been in long - he then said to me 'Last weeks rock and roll was terriffic too, lots of women and danced my socks off"

Gimme a break from these tossers.

Look, I think some of you are getting me wrong - I have no problem with those who come in and like soul music- even if the women do dress up like Alma Cogan or have heels 6 inches long - but it's the piss artists / handbaggers and piss takers who just come into the 'theme night" that i can't stand and i know i'm not alone.

The soul scene was at it's best when it was underground - who bought these people in anyway? all they do is cause resentment and trouble IMO.

Edited by soultrader
Social source share

Sorry like but I just don't like it. assholes just coming out for a theme disco night just don't do it for me.

I was at Rolls Royce a few Months ago and went for a pee in the loo - this bloke walked in and said 'good night innit' - not bad I said but not been in long - he then said to me 'Last weeks rock and roll was terriffic too, lots of women and danced my socks off"

Look, I think some of you are getting me wrong - I have no problem with those who come in and like soul music- even if the women do dress up like Alma Cogan or have heels 6 inches long - but it's the piss artists / handbaggers and piss takers who just come into the 'theme night" that i can't stand and i know i'm not alone.

The soul scene was at it's best when it was underground - who bought these people in anyway? all they do is cause resentment and trouble IMO.

The Rolls Royce CLub , if I'm not mistaken is a social club for the work force at Rolls Royce therefore they are surely members of there own club so who are the outsiders ?. Last time I went it was not purely NS , Rob Kaye & co had to play to the masses so to speak. Glyn you know what my policy on music is , I do and always will love ' oldies' and I will always attend my local soul nights as all soulies ( hate that word) do up and down the country. Maybe if more of the ' oldies' ( hate that word )made an effort to broaden there minds a bit and take in the lesser/rare soul we would not be so divided , therefore there would be no need for stupid words like proper soulies, oldies , newies , rarestuff ranting_1.gif after all we all have one common love and that is SOUL MUSIC. Lets embrace it not feud over it

Edited by MAK
Social source share

The Rolls Royce CLub , if I'm not mistaken is a social club for the work force at Rolls Royce therefore they are surely members of there own club so who are the outsiders ?. Last time I went it was not purely NS , Rob Kaye & co had to play to the masses so to speak. Glyn you know what my policy on music is , I do and always will love ' oldies' and I will always attend my local soul nights as all soulies ( hate that word) do up and down the country. Maybe if more of the ' oldies' ( hate that word )made an effort to broaden there minds a bit and take in the lesser/rare soul we would not be so divided , therefore there would be no need for stupid words like proper soulies, oldies , newies , rarestuff ranting_1.gifafter all we all have one common love and that is SOUL MUSIC. Lets embrace it not feud over it

===========

Couldn't agree more, but if you don't want to feud, why say, soulies (I hate that word) it's the recognised description, most of us aren't worried about it, what would you use it its place? Then you say, as if its a solution, if oldies fan broaden their minds....... Well I know how that reads to me. You don't get hordes of oldies fans coming onto SS and saying this is all we should listen to, they actually do go out, listen to soul music and enjoy it. They don't spend all day defining what's right and wrong regarding playlists, that's for the 'supremists', not the proper soulies.

Heres the thing, on a personal level, I like hearing new stuff, I like modern rooms, I like oldies. What I don't like is being led because someone thinks they know better than me. Let these people DJ, let them play their tunes, and then the audience will decide whether they've liked it or not. If they haven't they haven't. Its not because they want to hold the scene back, it's not because they're ill informed, its not because they don't visit upfront venues often enough, its because it hasn't floated their boat. Now that may disappoint the DJ playing them, but he/she should have the good grace to realise, that his/her taste is NO better or NO worse than anyone elses. That brings me back to your statement, "we all love soul music", so lets try to drop the leaders and followers doctrine.

Social source share

Bloody hell you are paraniod, i was reffering to my good friend Glyn W, watch out the people in your computer moniter are making face at you. :D

Prime example of soulie mentality, what did said person do so wrong to be a tosser, talk to you? or the fact that he said he's having a good night, at your sacred club with sacred people, or the fact he likes rock and roll? mental!

You refer to being underground im sorry but a local night in a local club aint underground laugh.gif

Social source share

=============

Doesn't really matter who brought it up, its just another example of people trying to create a two tier system within the soul scene and it just gets really tedious. Why anyone would want to foster an us and them scenario, and appear to be proud of it is beyond me. Its probably the main reason why I and many others don't visit the "pick your free superiority complex up at the door" venues very often.

:( Oh dear....

Cheer up. It's MONDAY! biggrin.gif:Dbiggrin.gif:(:D

Social source share

Bloody hell you are paraniod, i was reffering to my good friend Glyn W, watch out the people in your computer moniter are making face at you. tongue.gif

Prime example of soulie mentality, what did said person do so wrong to be a tosser, talk to you? or the fact that he said he's having a good night, at your sacred club with sacred people, or the fact he likes rock and roll? mental!

You refer to being underground im sorry but a local night in a local club aint underground :D

=========

Baz,

You keep doing this and you're completely wrong. Its NOT a prime example of soulie mentality, its that individuals view, not everyone elses. If you want to use words like prime and typical, then you need to have hard evidence to back them up. Would agree live and let live, if the guy liked rock and roll as well, well he could have just have hung about for the R&B spot, maybe thats how he got mixed up whistling.gif But just liking rock and roll is not a reason to shun him, IMO, but thats all it is my opinion.

Also think you're wrong about the scene not being underground because its a local night in a local club. Ponds forge, Beds Athletic, Greatstone, We got soul, these old shoes, notts brit, Sheridans and many more. All are or were smallish clubs with decent music policies, (Mark E, with Ponds more talking about the actual dancing area, rather than including the lounge/record bar area) so would definitely class as underground in my opinion.

Social source share

=========

Baz,

You keep doing this and you're completely wrong. Its NOT a prime example of soulie mentality, its that individuals view, not everyone elses. If you want to use words like prime and typical, then you need to have hard evidence to back them up. Would agree live and let

why is it not? i said this to glyn (not soultrader) once about soulie mentality towards 'outsiders' and he agreed with me, im not saying its in abundance, but at more local nights it does happen a bit, and that comes from all types of soul folk, hard evidence would be to see it cuuaght on film, but i've enough evidence with my own two eyes to back it up.

Social source share

why is it not? i said this to glyn (not soultrader) once about soulie mentality towards 'outsiders' and he agreed with me, im not saying its in abundance, but at more local nights it does happen a bit, and that comes from all types of soul folk, hard evidence would be to see it cuuaght on film, but i've enough evidence with my own two eyes to back it up.

========

You can't come up with a phrase like typical, and attribute it to talking to one guy, even one as wise as Glyn. I said earlier have you never witnessed the reverse, outsiders taking the piss out of the dancers. Should I think thats a typical example of outsider behaviour, or more reasonably assume its just those particular individuals with a problem. You're tarring everyone with the same brush when you say 'typical', and without hard facts, I'd say its inaccurate. I've grumbled about people messing about on the dancefloor, and been told many more times to shut up and stop being a grouch, than I have, oh yes I agree with you. You're missing a vital point in all of this, outsiders, particularly if they're young blokes, don't want you to go up and chat about how it all came about, or about records, so what do you do, generally let them get on with what they're doing and avoid talking to them. If they're young girl 'outsiders' and you go and talk to them, you're likely to have some clever tw*t on here call you a perv, so it's really a no win situation.

Social source share

when did the type or style of music come into this? - i didn't say anything about the musical style or taste which as you know Tony I like across the board anyways and a bit of this and a bit of that suits me fine.

I also was not knocking Rolls-Royce. I go there often and like it for a change - i know what to expect also with the locals - i was using it as an example and not singling out the club.

But they are now appearing at EVERY club - townies everybloodywhere means there are hardly any bastians of soul loving crowds left. Its now becoming just another piss up night with a twist for assholes who have no intrest in soul at all aside from having a laugh.

It's not the music , - it's the erosion of the Northern night into a townie night.

and yes, i'm paranoid ..... 'where's my Camel?' smile.gif

Social source share

But they are now appearing at EVERY club - townies everybloodywhere means there are hardly any bastians of soul loving crowds left. Its now becoming just another piss up night with a twist for assholes who have no intrest in soul at all aside from having a laugh.

It's not the music , - it's the erosion of the Northern night into a townie night.

and yes, i'm paranoid ..... 'where's my Camel?' smile.gif

Social source share

[

============

Definitely agree that this is happening more and more. I tend to think that via motown revival nights, and motown weekenders, other people our age have been alerted (via flyers for full on northern nights) that there is a scene where they won't feel out of place age wise, and they'll be able to get a late drink and leer at women to their hearts content..... I'm sure someone will say we're playing 'pass the paranoia', but it is definitely happening as far as I can see.

Social source share

[

============

Definitely agree that this is happening more and more. I tend to think that via motown revival nights, and motown weekenders, other people our age have been alerted (via flyers for full on northern nights) that there is a scene where they won't feel out of place age wise, and they'll be able to get a late drink and leer at women to their hearts content..... I'm sure someone will say we're playing 'pass the paranoia', but it is definitely happening as far as I can see.

Perhaps then, instead of for "proper soulies" the flyers should say "For married couples and males not interested in the opposite sex. :D

=============

Why would males not interested in the opposite sex be part of your target audience Maark? ph34r.gif

Social source share

I also was not knocking Rolls-Royce. I go there often and like it for a change - i know what to expect also with the locals - i was using it as an example and not singling out the club.

' :)

Just out of interest, how do you know who's a "townie" and who's not? In many ways I'd guess I may look like one and do have a tendency to mess around and take this p$ss out of my mates (and what's wrong with that, they're a right bunch of tw&ts) :yes: . I always wear trainers, Jeans look different to many on the scene and have been mistaken in the past for being (a cold chill wind blows through the room) an outsider ph34r.gif

Social source share

Just out of interest, how do you know who's a "townie" and who's not? In many ways I'd guess I may look like one and do have a tendency to mess around and take this p$ss out of my mates (and what's wrong with that, they're a right bunch of tw&ts) :yes: . I always wear trainers, Jeans look different to many on the scene and have been mistaken in the past for being (a cold chill wind blows through the room) an outsider ph34r.gif

f**k me we must look a like u sure we're not brothers or related :D

I think there is some special handshake you have to use to let people know 'your in the know' :)

Social source share

But they are now

============

I havent seen this at the Brit, lifeline etc. Is it just the more oldie orientated nights were "the others" :yes:ph34r.gif are entering the doors with their grab a granny cock a snook tomfoolery?

Social source share

f**k me we must look a like u sure we're not brothers or related :D

I think there is some special handshake you have to use to let people know 'your in the know' ph34r.gif

I've seen your photo on here Baz, your not purdy enough to be my brother :):D:D:yes:

Social source share

==========

Haven't you answered your own question when you're describing why you may look like one??

Social source share

==========

Haven't you answered your own question when you're describing why you may look like one??

Not really, that's what I'm guessing some may see as a townie - but I'd like to know what others think. How do people know who's of the town and who's one of the chosen few?

Social source share

post-1535-1164030652.jpg

God is not pleased with thee! :angry:

Thou must seek forgiveness! :)

Travel to the bleak desert where the Temple of Wigan once stood and for 40 days and 40 nights thou shalt chant the chorus of Right Track!

(And do that strange fast clapping bit as well!) :D

Social source share

f**k me we must look a like u sure we're not brothers or related :)

I think there is some special handshake you have to use to let people know 'your in the know' :yes:

===================

Baz you're in the wrong thread mate, try Ian's conspiracy one, you should feel right at home there. Isn't it time Dave dropped in and said something about Bags/badges/holding the scene back etc? tongue.gif

Social source share

post-1535-1164030652.jpg

Thou must seek forgiveness! :yes:

Travel to the bleak desert where the Temple of Wigan once stood and for 40 days and 40 nights thou shalt chant the chorus of Right Track!

(And do that strange fast clapping bit as well!) :D

:):D:D

shhh.gif

Social source share

Not really, that's what I'm guessing some may see as a townie - but I'd like to know what others think. How do people know who's of the town and who's one of the chosen few?

=========

You're guessing? Amazing instincts you have :yes:

I think the people in question were being referred to as 'outsiders'. Most are fine and just get on with having a good night, but some are wankers who get very pissed, take the mick out of people dancing, and hit on women. But as you say you've never come across anybody like this cos you go to lifeline and the Brit wicked.gif

Social source share

post-1535-1164030652.jpg

Thou must seek forgiveness! :yes:

(And do that strange fast clapping bit as well!) tongue.gif

============

Alternatively.......

God is not pleased with thee.

You have failed in your duty to pretend to like upfront to impress your friends.

Travel to a small venue, listen to something very obscure, observe your peers, and try and stroke your chin at the correct time. Only in this way shalt ye be forgiven.

If right track is played thou shalt express your distaste by chanting the mantra "played out oldies, equal the death of the scene", you can say this at what pace you like, the important thing is that the right people hear you :)

Social source share

============

Alternatively.......

God is not pleased with thee.

You have failed in your duty to pretend to like upfront to impress your friends.

Travel to a small venue, listen to something very obscure, observe your peers, and try and stroke your chin at the correct time. Only in this way shalt ye be forgiven.

If right track is played thou shalt express your distaste by chanting the mantra "played out oldies, equal the death of the scene", you can say this at what pace you like, the important thing is that the right people hear you :)

Unusual for you, I know... but you're missing the target a bit there :D

The music I enjoy the most is R&B, so the standard Rock & Roll comments would be more pertinent. wicked.gif:yes:

Social source share

Unusual for you, I know... but you're missing the target a bit there :D

The music I enjoy the most is R&B, so the standard Rock & Roll comments would be more pertinent. :):yes:

============

I know you have a preference for R&B, but you don't ram it down peoples throats Dave, so after careful consideration I think I chose my target wisely :D Used your post cos it offered the 'alternative' option thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Also think you're wrong about the scene not being underground because its a local night in a local club. Ponds forge, Beds Athletic, Greatstone, We got soul,
these old shoes
, notts brit, Sheridans and many more. All are or were smallish clubs with decent music policies

Thank you Winnie
:yes:
Martin, PTP, Alan H, Andy Faulkner and myself tried very hard to play stuff and introduce tunes that would interest and delight....some fresh, some familiar and some just far fetched....but we tried.

As for the door policy, I was the Head Door Whore and would try and make sure that no 'booted suited office bods' who were only interested in a late drink got in....a subtle 'It's members only, people' or 'do you dig that crazy Northern beat' normally sorted that problem out..
:)
BUT, any nervous first-timer types who thought they'd turned up at the wrong place (small smelly basement with a slopping dancefloor in a pub SARF of the river) always got a warm welcome. New faces, old, new, young etc etc were enthusiastically relieved of their £3, pushed down the stairs through the badly swinging doors and actively encouraged to become part of the TOS family regardless of their dress code or newspaper reading habits - I embraced them all personally - but hey, that was just a perk of the job
:D
....All was perfect apart from the party of German tourists that got in one night and kept asking for Abba...
huh.gif
LOL, Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Don't know if it will get a response but occasionally you get flyers advertising a night for 'proper soulies' or 'soulies only' . These seem to revolve around the events where those who consider themselves 'True northern fans' gather.

So can somebody tell me what a Real Soulie' , Proper Soulie or 'for soulies only' is,

I'm intrigued?????? cause I'm begining to think that since 1971 I thought I was a 'proper soulie' but maybe i was wrong

Hi Bridget

Ive seen the one advertising for "dancers only "

doesn't that alienate the record collectors... the listeners and all the other soulies who dont dance?

Sometimes I question my weather Iam a proper soulie because

I dont travel hundreds of miles from home ( but I do travel ) been to pilsley on occasion

I dont have a huge vinyl collection and I do like oldies ( for which folks get slated on here at times )

But Iam a dancer!!! :yes:

I think any of the above makes you a soulie

Mand xx biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Hi Bridget

doesn't that alienate the record collectors... the listeners and all the other soulies who dont dance?

I dont travel hundreds of miles from home ( but I do travel ) been to pilsley on occasion

I dont have a huge vinyl collection and I do like oldies ( for which folks get slated on here at times )

But Iam a dancer!!!
yes.gif

Mand xx

I'm not sure, Mand....I'll have to consult the Big Soul Book of Rules
I don't dance - my knees are too old.... I have been known to wear a Cure T-shirt, a Jamariqui T-shirt and assorted flip-flops to venues - very non derigeur
but I like what's in the grooves...I think that's the only credentials you need
:)
Jo

Social source share

Hi Bridget

But Iam a dancer!!! :yes:

Mand xx :D

But Mandy your supposed to dance in front of the decks , not on top of them wink.gif:)

Social source share

I'm not sure, Mand....I'll have to consult the Big Soul Book of Rules
I don't dance - my knees are too old.... I have been known to wear a Cure T-shirt, a Jamariqui T-shirt and assorted flip-flops to venues - very non derigeur
but I like what's in the grooves...I think that's the only credentials you need
yes.gif
Jo

Jo

Just seen a piccy of you and your face is familiar !!! (back the subject tho eh?)

Hands up guilty of wearing the old comfy shoes to dance in ( townies usually wear stillettos and carry small handbags don't they??? :) PMSL)

I carry a fred perry sports bag to put my knee length boots in when Im dancing in the comfy shoes and also my beer towels !!!!!

My nickname is Mand the happy soulie ( which now Im reliably informed is "cheesy") :D

Are we typecasting what a soulie should look/act like??

I must admit I dont like folks who come into venues late (afterhours drinkers)

stagger onto the dancefloor fag in one hand bottle in the other bumping into us

while were dancing and taking the piss out of us ( which winds me up greatly )

Smaller clubs who are not town based tend not to get these folks in ( IMO) because of the travelling involved

Clubs in main town areas tend to attract these folks beacause they can stagger in off the streets

Some of the clubs I visit have the odd joe public who come to see what its all about

and usually sit and watch the dancers and behave themselves even may venture onto the dancefloor towards the end of the night so we dont notice them

If I havent seen folks before I always smile and be polite

I do know ( having encountered it first hand ) that it can be a very bitchy and hostile scene at times too I try not to have a "them and us " attitude

Afterall we are a dying breed are we not???

Mand the happy soul appreciator :D

Social source share

Mand...you have said it all IMO...there seems to be this quest on the Northern scene( is this expression too cheesy now??) to turn it into something akin to a Methodist church meeting.. no clapping...no listening to oldies...must welcome all waifs and strays...turn the other cheek if they take the mickey....wear your sunday best when going to worship at the temple of Soul etc etc etc...me. i would much rather enjoy rare soul in all its forms in my own way....I couldn't give a flying fig if people think I am not a proper soulie... excuse me, soul lover or not..it'sworked for me for 33 years and i am not about to change that to suit anybody...so there :yes:wink.gif delxx

Social source share

=========

You're guessing? Amazing instincts you have :yes:

I think the people in question were being referred to as 'outsiders'. Most are fine and just get on with having a good night, but some are wankers who get very pissed, take the mick out of people dancing, and hit on women. But as you say you've never come across anybody like this cos you go to lifeline and the Brit wicked.gif

Don't see what your getting at with the comment on Lifeline and the Brit, are you implying my amazing instincts letting me down? Perhaps there are the hair jelled beasties that are townies in our midst and I have missed them? Perhaps I should keep any eye out just in case.

Also on the term Soulie, I do think it sounds crap (as does casual, another crap term). I also don't think I've ever heard one of my mates describe themselves as a Soulie?

Social source share

=============

===========

Couldn't agree more, but if you don't want to feud, why say, soulies (I hate that word) it's the recognised description, most of us aren't worried about it, what would you use it its place? Then you say, as if its a solution, if oldies fan broaden their minds....... Well I know how that reads to me. You don't get hordes of oldies fans coming onto SS and saying this is all we should listen to, they actually do go out, listen to soul music and enjoy it. They don't spend all day defining what's right and wrong regarding playlists, that's for the 'supremists', not the proper soulies.

Heres the thing, on a personal level, I like hearing new stuff, I like modern rooms, I like oldies. What I don't like is being led because someone thinks they know better than me. Let these people DJ, let them play their tunes, and then the audience will decide whether they've liked it or not. If they haven't they haven't. Its not because they want to hold the scene back, it's not because they're ill informed, its not because they don't visit upfront venues often enough, its because it hasn't floated their boat. Now that may disappoint the DJ playing them, but he/she should have the good grace to realise, that his/her taste is NO better or NO worse than anyone elses. That brings me back to your statement, "we all love soul music", so lets try to drop the leaders and followers doctrine.

sorry Winnie

but have to say if anything its your constant banging this drum that to me seem to be dictating how things are

the site is all about talking about current things and as such surely discussion on plays, policy, styles, cover ups, and all that is part of it

claiming it is some sort of elitist thing? well are you not just doing what you are arguing about and putting up divides

"that's for the 'supremists', not the proper soulies."

"pick your free superiority complex up at the door" venues

looks like from here its you whos dishing out the name calling and trying to foster a two tier thing

Social source share

Don't see what your getting at with the comment on Lifeline and the Brit, are you implying my amazing instincts letting me down? Perhaps there are the hair jelled beasties that are townies in our midst and I have missed them? Perhaps I should keep any eye out just in case.

Also on the term Soulie, I do think it sounds crap (as does casual, another crap term). I also don't think I've ever heard one of my mates describe themselves as a Soulie?

==========

I think in a previous post you mentioned lifeline and the Brit, and said you'd never seen any of these, so I assumed that you were implying that these particular venues don't attract outsiders?

It's obviously your prerogative to think the term soulie is crap, I would hazard a guess that most of don't mind, as we realise it's just a handy descriptive word that encompasses what we all are. Nobody as yet has come up with an viable alternative, so I'll continue to use the term myself :unsure:

Social source share

Mand...you have said it all IMO...there seems to be this quest on the Northern scene( is this expression too cheesy now??) to turn it into something akin to a Methodist church meeting.. no clapping...no listening to oldies...must welcome all waifs and strays...turn the other cheek if they take the mickey....wear your sunday best when going to worship at the temple of Soul etc etc etc...me. i would much rather enjoy rare soul in all its forms in my own way....I couldn't give a flying fig if people think I am not a proper soulie... excuse me, soul lover or not..it'sworked for me for 33 years and i am not about to change that to suit anybody...so there :(:hypo: delxx

Very well said dear girl :unsure:

Mand :unsure: the happy soulie!!!!

Social source share

sorry Winnie

but have to say if anything its your constant banging this drum that to me seem to be dictating how things are

the site is all about talking about current things and as such surely discussion on plays, policy, styles, cover ups, and all that is part of it

claiming it is some sort of elitist thing? well are you not just doing what you are arguing about and putting up divides

looks like from here its you whos dishing out the name calling and trying to foster a two tier thing

===========

Look through the threads Mike that include these sort of references. You'll generally find I say something after someone has for the millionth time told us that oldies are holding back the scene, or certain items or clothing are making youngsters think twice before trying it out. Nothing is ever said about that for some reason, personally I think its rude to the people who like oldies or want to wear bags etc to hold them up to ridicule because of their personal choice. And yes I does think it sounds like they have a superiority complex and that they think they know best. I think the scene is big enough not to have to alienate an already dwindling population of soulies. Its been said many times on here that the music is what really counts, and I've always held soul source in high regard for that view, now that isn't always the case other agendas have come into play.

I'll give you an example, the thread re: the alnighter on against Lowton. There have been a number of prominent posters on SS that have said the way forward is to put nighters on in big clubs, with great sound systems and this will attract youngsters. So a promoter does this, and do any of these prominent posters say, well done......No, and that's purely because of the person doing the promoting. I know the argument will come forward, no we're supporting Lowton, but the event isn't trying to steal their punters, just get loads of new ones in. To me politics and agendas have come to the fore more and more, and at times the soul, seems secondary.

Social source share

===========

Look through the threads Mike that include these sort of references. You'll generally find I say something after someone has for the millionth time told us that oldies are holding back the scene, or certain items or clothing are making youngsters think twice before trying it out. Nothing is ever said about that for some reason, personally I think its rude to the people who like oldies or want to wear bags etc to hold them up to ridicule because of their personal choice. And yes I does think it sounds like they have a superiority complex and that they think they know best. I think the scene is big enough not to have to alienate an already dwindling population of soulies. Its been said many times on here that the music is what really counts, and I've always held soul source in high regard for that view, now that isn't always the case other agendas have come into play.

I'll give you an example, the thread re: the alnighter on against Lowton. There have been a number of prominent posters on SS that have said the way forward is to put nighters on in big clubs, with great sound systems and this will attract youngsters. So a promoter does this, and do any of these prominent posters say, well done......No, and that's purely because of the person doing the promoting. I know the argument will come forward, no we're supporting Lowton, but the event isn't trying to steal their punters, just get loads of new ones in. To me politics and agendas have come to the fore more and more, and at times the soul, seems secondary.

bad example

you're assuming a lot

"I know the argument will come forward"

smacks to me of an arrogant attitude

take it you are aware of all the facts in this matter

"purely because of the person doing the promoting."

again assuming a lot

do you read your own words?

you are telling people what they are going to post and why!

I would say most if not all sides of most matters get discused on here

using words such as agendas and the tired old phase"politics" which is surely just another word for dodgy/illegal going ons is to me a way of knocking this site, discouarging open discussion and to be blunt doing exactly what you claim everyone else is doing

Social source share