Proper Soulies

Don't know if it will get a response but occasionally you get flyers advertising a night for 'proper soulies' or 'soulies only' . These seem to revolve around the events where those who consider themselves 'True northern fans' gather.

So can somebody tell me what a Real Soulie' , Proper Soulie or 'for soulies only' is,

I'm intrigued?????? cause I'm begining to think that since 1971 I thought I was a 'proper soulie' but maybe i was wrong

Edited by bridget
Social source share

• Replies 158
  • Views 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest dundeedavie

Don't know if it will get a response but occasionally you get flyers advertising a night for 'proper soulies' or 'soulies only' . These seem to revolve around the events where those who consider themselves 'True northern fans' gather.

So can somebody tell me what a Real Soulie' , Proper Soulie or 'for soulies only' is,

I'm intrigued?????? cause I'm begining to think that since 1971 I thought I was a 'proper soulie' but maybe i was wrong

never seen a flyer that advertises for "proper soulies" or "real soulies"

Social source share

no such thing as a proper soulie in my opinion

you either are or your not a soulie

moldie

never seen a flyer that advertises for "proper soulies" or "real soulies"

ive had flyers with....real soul fans only... on them at my event in lightwater

moldie

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

no such thing as a proper soulie in my opinion

you either are or your not a soulie

moldie

ive had flyers with....real soul fans only... on them at my event in lightwater

moldie

in my opinion that is a PR disaster .... alienating people by questioning their soul credentials is ludicrous

Social source share

in my opinion that is a PR disaster .... alienating people by questioning their soul credentials is ludicrous

i couldnt agree more davie

its like putting no scooterists on the flyer...

moldie

Social source share

Think you read the advert wrong - should read "ARSOULIES" only.

Top sound would be "Up Ourselves" by The Pretentious Strings

Social source share

Think you read the advert wrong - should read "ARSOULIES" only.

Top sound would be "Up Ourselves" by The Pretentious Strings

Got thier own badge too Epic thumbsup.gif

post-5566-1163876303_thumb.jpg

Social source share

nah, betcha that well annoying avitar its not

laugh.gif Don't you like it, the christmas lights went on in Worcester this week so i thought i'd get into the festive spirit.

P.s.

Careful Moldie, don't wanna get sin binned again ! :D

Social source share

Cant say Ive seen a flyer saying "proper soulies"..and if i had Id be interested to know who was running the place..all the people I know are INTO there soul in a big way and have been for well "a lot of years"...hmmm interesting subject "proper soulies" !!!!!!!...

Social source share

Think a night for grey haired or balding overweight, beer bellied blokes who used to be able to dance & now want to act like teenagers again whilst making sure their partners are suitably refreshed with half a lager every thirty minutes whilst they themselve sift through boxes full of old & overpriced records.

Don't think it would catch on though

whistling.gif:D:hypo:

Social source share

Have seen things like a venue for soulies run by soulies, but never anything too cheesy,

Might put on a flyer a venue run by Umpalumpas for soulies tongue.gif

Don't knock em Baz, brilliant Stompers/Shufflers them Umpalumpas !

post-5566-1163877980_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Social source share

i think you know what old ground i mean so please lets just keep the faith

With great respect rednose and trying to prevent this thread being seen as a 1 on 1. Is it really `keeping the faith` ? The faith as in what? Being into northern soul? Surely thats what the majority are into so why try and be superior by inferring that if you do not attend or support a certain soul venue then you are not a 'soulie'?

Social source share

If I have to be totaly honest on this subject...lets just put it to bed and call it a day..every one has there own opions...mine well Id rather not mail them!!!! suffice to say I know whats TRUE and whats not true....

Social source share

ok bridget i know what you are saying but you have a great following at pilsley and i am one of them ,so you dont need to justify what a third party say "what is a real soulie." we all know what a real soulie is and i would like to think that we could rise above all the rubbish that is banded about and just concentrate on enjoying the music and having a great time at pilsley

Social source share

huh.gif Methinks i have got inadvertantly caught up in something here, I thought it was just a light hearted observation by the poster.

So please let me say i have no personal interest in either camp.

Social source share

Think a night for grey haired or balding overweight, beer bellied blokes who used to be able to dance & now want to act like teenagers again whilst making sure their partners are suitably refreshed with half a lager every thirty minutes whilst they themselve sift through boxes full of old & overpriced records.

Don't think it would catch on though

whistling.gif:D:hypo:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...i&img=17630

:D:D

"We dont allow no imitations here"

The by Invitations

:):)

Social source share

Strange thread, never seen any of those flyers myself, but you pay your money and you make your choice. A little bit of what you fancy does you good and if you don't like a venue or its music policy then you don't have to go. there are plenty of places to pick from at the moment and you can usually tell by the DJ line up what to expect.

Its a social scene go out and enjoy it !

Social source share

" Separating the wheat from the chaff "

I have seen these outrageous statements - " Real Soulie " / " Proper Soulie " , and " For Soulies Only " on flyers .

A brave statement - no , a blatant declaration - of a desire for apartheid * on the scene by the producers of the flyers .

( * Apartheid - a word of Afrikaans ( South Africa ) origin , a translation of the English word

" segregation " , designed to indicate a political , economic , cultural , spiritual and racial separateness , as apart from a physical or geographical seperateness )

Like yourself , I must now reconsider that I may not be a " proper or real soulie " , and that my being in to bat since early 1965 does not count .

I must now convey this shattering declaration to my better half , that I might not be a " real soulie " , and that I have been " playing at it " for all these years .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

" Separating the wheat from the chaff "

I have seen these outrageous statements - " Real Soulie " / " Proper Soulie " , and " For Soulies Only " on flyers .

A brave statement - no , a blatant declaration - of a desire for apartheid * on the scene by the producers of the flyers .

( * Apartheid - a word of Afrikaans ( South Africa ) origin , a translation of the English word

" segregation " , designed to indicate a political , economic , cultural , spiritual and racial separateness , as apart from a physical or geographical seperateness )

Like yourself , I must now reconsider that I may not be a " proper or real soulie " , and that my being in to bat since early 1965 does not count .

I must now convey this shattering declaration to my better half , that I might not be a " real soulie " , and that I have been " playing at it " for all these years .

Malc Burton

I can't say I have ever seen a flyer wth a statement like this on, not that I am doubting they exist. I don't personally care if people put this on the flyer but it is a bit daft as it can be misunderstood and may well lead to less reveue for the event.

If someone puts this on a flyer why would that lead anyone to reconsider if they are a 'real' soulie or not? If you are a real soulie why does it bother you? No one is saying you aren't (other than you showing some self doubt).

NB - The 'you' in this statement is not aimed at Malc but people in general.

I think regardless of what we think about our own credentials many of us will have seen people drinking on the dance floor, dancing round their handbags, bumping into people on the floor without even an acknowledgement let alone an apology etc etc.

Putting 'real' soulies on a flyer is a bit daft but I at least can determine what they mean. What I am not sure about is how the hell do you decide at the door who you are going to let in and who you are not unsure.gif Being a promoter is difficult enough without creating headaches for yourself IMO.

Social source share

how the hell do you decide at the door who you are going to let in and who you are not unsure.gif Being a promoter is difficult enough without creating headaches for yourself IMO.

Don't let anyone in unless they're wearing a Black Glove, sporting a well placed Beer Towel (hanging from the waistband of Baggy Trousers) and carrying a Fully Badged Up 'Allnighter Bag'.

That's how you can tell who the proper Soulies are.

:thumbsup:

:P

Sean

Social source share

Don't let anyone in unless they're wearing a Black Glove, sporting a well placed Beer Towel (hanging from the waistband of Baggy Trousers) and carrying a Fully Badged Up 'Allnighter Bag'.

:P

laugh.gif

Sean

:thumbsup: thats it then, I'm off to get my baggies, glove and fully badged up bag and well placed towel, anybody know anybody who sells them or can i get one from ebay?

I (mr Brigdet) posted this tongue in cheek but sean I owe you big time, i can now sleep easy knowing that when I hit the soul clubs next week I'll be in the groove and everybody will say, there goes a true soulie.

Lets end it here folks.

Edited by bridget
Social source share

never ever have been comfortable with that term.

Me neither.

Awful description.

Turns my stomach.

Can't we just be people who are into Soul music?

As for the original posters 'Flyer' question.

More fool the promoter who alienates his/her audience. That type of elitist fascism can only do more harm than good, decrease (not increase) numbers through the door... and deservedly so.

Sean

Social source share

Don't know if it will get a response but occasionally you get flyers advertising a night for 'proper soulies' or 'soulies only' .

I don't think I've ever seen this on a flyer. Does anyone know which venue is saying this.

Social source share

:thumbsup:

laugh.gif

Sean

There is a much easier method than that Sean, just don't let anyone with a full head of hair in ! You are bound to get just Soulies in then, whether they are proper ones or not :P

Social source share

Gotta say i know where you guys are coming from - most of the soul night in my area (inc pilsley) are full of 'proper soulies'

is it just me tho that's really pissed off with the influx of 'townies'? cos i'm really sick of seeing the wankers sneering cos they don't really fit in.

trouble is there are getting more of em then soulies at some venues now (mentioning no names) and soulies are starting to feel the alien.

Maybe its just me - but just because i'm paranoid doesnt mean they ARENT out to get me smile.gif

Social source share

Gotta say i know where you guys are coming from - most of the soul night in my area (inc pilsley) are full of 'proper soulies'

is it just me tho that's really pissed off with the influx of 'townies'? cos i'm really sick of seeing the wankers sneering cos they don't really fit in.

trouble is there are getting more of em then soulies at some venues now (mentioning no names) and soulies are starting to feel the alien.

Maybe its just me - but just because i'm paranoid doesnt mean they ARENT out to get me :P

And here is your typical 'soulie paranoia' ,whitnessed it plenty of times, its not the 'outsiders' (on most occations) that are the problem.............

God i hate that word soulie its far too cheesy laugh.gif

Social source share

And here is your typical 'soulie paranoia' ,whitnessed it plenty of times, its not the 'outsiders' (on most occations) that are the problem.............

God i hate that word soulie its far too cheesy :P

Said like a true Soulie Baz ! whistling.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

God i hate that word soulie its far too cheesy laugh.gif

===========

Baz,

What evidence do you have that its a typical view, that would imply a majority within the soul fraternity. I hate the phrase Played Out Oldie (new anacronym, POO just for the upfront boys) :D But it gets used over and over again. Guess thats why it goes into the northern soul dictionary, bit like soulie. You seem to have problems with almost everything that reflects the scenes heritage for some reason, gonna tell us all why?

Social source share

===========

Baz,

What evidence do you have that its a typical view, that would imply a majority within the soul fraternity. I hate the phrase Played Out Oldie (new anacronym, POO just for the upfront boys) :D But it gets used over and over again. Guess thats why it goes into the northern soul dictionary, bit like soulie. You seem to have problems with almost everything that reflects the scenes heritage for some reason, gonna tell us all why?

Your telling me you've never whitnessed outsiders get scawned at? Glyn was the same look at them over there, pointing at them and looking at them till i pointed out they were actually doing no harm and have paid there money same as us and have as much right to be here as any one else.

Sorry i happen to think the word soulie is a cheesy as you can get and just reminds me of bags covered with badges and the dreaded fancy dress, nothing to do with heritage. Im not living in the seventys im living today sorry if i happen to think some things are just plain strange or what ever thumbsup.gif

Social source share

===========

Baz,

What evidence do you have that its a typical view, that would imply a majority within the soul fraternity. I hate the phrase Played Out Oldie (new anacronym, POO just for the upfront boys) smile.gif But it gets used over and over again. Guess thats why it goes into the northern soul dictionary, bit like soulie. You seem to have problems with almost everything that reflects the scenes heritage for some reason, gonna tell us all why?

Cause he's a member of the Proper, Real, And, True, Soulies, arn't you Baz :D:(

Or he's scared of growing old whistling.gif:D

Social source share

Your telling me you've never whitnessed outsiders get scawned at? Glyn was the same look at them over there, pointing at them and looking at them till i pointed out they were actually doing no harm and have paid there money same as us and have as much right to be here as any one else.

Sorry i happen to think the word soulie is a cheesy as you can get and just reminds me of bags covered with badges and the dreaded fancy dress, nothing to do with heritage. Im not living in the seventys im living today sorry if i happen to think some things are just plain strange or what ever thumbsup.gif

hear hear, :D

Social source share

Your telling me you've never whitnessed outsiders get scawned at?

See what you are both saying here, & don't like it either in any walks of life.

But are you saying that this is something that is only synonymous with the oldies crowd ?

If you do, i beg to differ & would think it was more to do with the upfront crowd.

Edited by Bogue
Social source share