Henry Moore, Anyone?!?

Guest Mr T L C

Guest Mr T L C

I happened to discover Henry Moore by chance a couple of years ago. I bought the Crazy Cajun album "It´s My Own Tears That´s Being Wasted" after reading the describition "60´s Texas Soul". The pressing on this album isn´t very good and the recording quality isn´t very pleasing either. Some of the songs sound more or less like demos with just piano backing and some kind of "percussion"... That Huey P. Meaux sure is/was one Crazy Cajun! However, what a beautiful voice he had, Mr. Henry Moore. There are two wonderful ballads on there along with a couple of good uptempo material. I have since then begun collecting all records I can find with Henry Moore and have managed to find one 45 on Hermitage, one on Fada and one on King.

Now to the questions; does anyone know how much he has recorded and

does anyone have ANY info on him?

I´m still looking for THE perfect record by him, t.i. good material, well produced and so on...

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I happened to discover Henry Moore by chance a couple of years ago. I bought the Crazy Cajun album "It´s My Own Tears That´s Being Wasted" after reading the describition "60´s Texas Soul". The pressing on this album isn´t very good and the recording quality isn´t very pleasing either. Some of the songs sound more or less like demos with just piano backing and some kind of "percussion"... That Huey P. Meaux sure is/was one Crazy Cajun! However, what a beautiful voice he had, Mr. Henry Moore. There are two wonderful ballads on there along with a couple of good uptempo material. I have since then begun collecting all records I can find with Henry Moore and have managed to find one 45 on Hermitage, one on Fada and one on King.

Now to the questions; does anyone know how much he has recorded and

does anyone have ANY info on him?

I´m still looking for THE perfect record by him, t.i. good material, well produced and so on...

I have a nice little 45 by him on Athens "She`s A Lover"...early 6ts Soul, uptempo. Let me know if you need and wnat this :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Mr T L C

Thanks for the offer but I´ve got that one. I belive that 45 was reissued on Hermitage...or the other way around. A bit confused right now, anyway I have that track on Athens.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I know of a dozen singles by a Henry Moore (possibly several of them) - recorded between 1961 and 1972.

The three on Jetstream date from 1966 and 1967, and are Huey Meaux productions, the one on both Afada and Fada from the early 70s might not be as it's a Valdosta, Georgia label. However the Afada/Fada man might be the same as the Athens/Hermitage man, as there's an Athens and a Hermitage in GA - although that single is from 1960, which is a big gap between releases. The Henry Moore on Lluvia (also from 1961) is probably the same as the Jet Stream man, being as his one Lluvia single was recorded in Houston at the same studios that Meaux used and eventually bought. Moore's Lluvia single was apparently reissued on Dodge, Billy Lee Riley's label out of Ferriday, Louisiana - not much more than a hop, step and jump from Houston as an American crow flies.

I know this is all very confusing, but the next part isn't - the Henry Moore on King is almost certainly not the same man, being that three sides of his two King 45s are instrumental and the fourth features a guest vocal by Hank Ballard.

And I doubt that the HM on Master (from 1967) is the same as the Jet Stream man, too...

Now I've really muddied the waters for you!

TONE :shhh:

Social source share

Guest Mr T L C

Wow, thanks a million! :thumbsup: That´s reeeeaally helpful! Confusing, yes! But it still helps a lot. Another piece to the puzzle. I still haven´t recived the King 45, so I haven´t heard it yet, but to me the Fada, Athens and Crazy Cajun guy all sound like the same man. Very different in style, but the voice is always there. Americans don´t seem to mind travelin either. I have learnt that the Henry Moore I´d probably would want the most is of the Jet Stream/Crazy Cajun-variety. I belive that two tracks from my CC album were released on a Jetstream 45; I´m Losing You/You Really Grabbed Me. How´s the sound quality on your Jet Streams? I´ve read somewhere that the Athens/Hermitage label was run by Hoss Allen in Nashville?!? :thumbsup: Well, thanks again! The hunt for Jet Stream 45´s has begun...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Wow, thanks a million! :unsure: That´s reeeeaally helpful! Confusing, yes! But it still helps a lot. Another piece to the puzzle. I still haven´t recived the King 45, so I haven´t heard it yet, but to me the Fada, Athens and Crazy Cajun guy all sound like the same man. Very different in style, but the voice is always there. Americans don´t seem to mind travelin either. I have learnt that the Henry Moore I´d probably would want the most is of the Jet Stream/Crazy Cajun-variety. I belive that two tracks from my CC album were released on a Jetstream 45; I´m Losing You/You Really Grabbed Me. How´s the sound quality on your Jet Streams? I´ve read somewhere that the Athens/Hermitage label was run by Hoss Allen in Nashville?!? :) Well, thanks again! The hunt for Jet Stream 45´s has begun...

...Sorry, yes, you're quite right, the Athens and Hermitage labels are both Hoss Allen-related and the Athens label does indeed have a Nashville address on it (Nashville is actually known - among other things - as "The Athens Of The South", and there's a huge replica of 'The Parthenon' there...)

All three of the Jet Stream singles are currently for sale on GEMM - "You Grabbed Me" from Craig Moerer at $35.00 and the other two from Voices From The Shadows at a considerably higher price (one at over $100.00). I don't have all three but the sound is fine on the two that I do have, they're obviously finished masters. I've never seen that album, but I suspect that Meaux filled it out with demos, he wasn't beyond that sort of thing...

I'm off work for a few days but when I go in again I'll send you a full list of all the Henry Moore 45s I know of...

TONE biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert