Terry callier

Jayboy

16 minutes ago, Jayboy said:

Went for £104.00 someone thought it was an original ??

Who would think it was a real one when it's clearly listed as otherwise , nothing suggests any wool-pulling but just another tool who either couldn't read or couldn't be arsed to do a little research , if I were the seller I'd be highly delighted ( and amused ) knowing that there are still stupid lazy folk out there hoovering up all the boots for silly money .

Social source share

2 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Who would think it was a real one when it's clearly listed as otherwise , nothing suggests any wool-pulling but just another tool who either couldn't read or couldn't be arsed to do a little research , if I were the seller I'd be highly delighted ( and amused ) knowing that there are still stupid lazy folk out there hoovering up all the boots for silly money .

Not just one.  Two other people bid over £100.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

went to an event with screens over the decks and saw a few 'not original' 45's being displayed, no one else seemed to care,  but we left very early

so maybe someone feels able to spin this out or are clueless, dunno

Social source share

1 hour ago, Shufflin said:

went to an event with screens over the decks and saw a few 'not original' 45's being displayed, no one else seemed to care,  but we left very early

so maybe someone feels able to spin this out or are clueless, dunno

Always play originals (as far as i'm aware) but even the best of us can get caught out occasionally, i'm just going to start a new thread on this subject so have a look in (and an opinion). 

Social source share

I assume 'unofficial' actually means counterfeit / booted?  Manship's Guide  7th edition doesn't mention a 70s version but then it doesn't mention Terry Callier's  'I Just Can't Help Myself' on Cadet 5697 as being booted either and I've always assumed my copy which cost me next to nothing is a boot. Perhaps both are originals! 

As for well-known DJs playing only originals I'd say its always been open to interpretation. An early 70s reissue is fast approaching fifty years old . I'd suggest only a few older pros would even know the difference. I recently played Sam Williams 'Love Slipped Through My Fingers'  at a local Sussex venue. A more senior punter mentioned to me that I wasn't playing the Tower original (I played a 70s UK Grapevine issue) . As a very occasional desk operative I just play what I have when I feel it is appropriate. The record was well received except by this chap who never attempted to dance during the whole evening.

If I owned the Tower original (with its excellent ballad B-side incidentally) I doubt I'd play it on some of the decks with which i am presented anyway. It'll be ruined in no time.

Social source share

On 05/11/2019 at 12:33, Firecrest said:

I assume 'unofficial' actually means counterfeit / booted?  Manship's Guide  7th edition doesn't mention a 70s version but then it doesn't mention Terry Callier's  'I Just Can't Help Myself' on Cadet 5697 as being booted either and I've always assumed my copy which cost me next to nothing is a boot. Perhaps both are originals! 

As for well-known DJs playing only originals I'd say its always been open to interpretation. An early 70s reissue is fast approaching fifty years old . I'd suggest only a few older pros would even know the difference. I recently played Sam Williams 'Love Slipped Through My Fingers'  at a local Sussex venue. A more senior punter mentioned to me that I wasn't playing the Tower original (I played a 70s UK Grapevine issue) . As a very occasional desk operative I just play what I have when I feel it is appropriate. The record was well received except by this chap who never attempted to dance during the whole evening.

If I owned the Tower original (with its excellent ballad B-side incidentally) I doubt I'd play it on some of the decks with which i am presented anyway. It'll be ruined in no time.

it would only be ruined if you played it on a sandpaper slipmat.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!