Superlatives Bootleg

Jason S

Wondering if someone could clear this up once and for all as I've had two people 'reckoning' this copy is a boot. https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=270089338028

I bought it from a job lot from a US seller, it looks identical to a copy I bought from a UK seller who knows his onions and sold it as a real blue one. Either that guy sold us a boot or the two people who have contacted me are wrong. The run out info on the water damaged blue copy and the other one I have are identical.

One guy is saying that this one

490d_1.JPG

and the copy I have for sale

113.jpg

...are the same, when infact the font (especially the 'U' on the Uptite) are totally different

Oddly enough one guy who told me mine (the water damaged one) was a boot seems to be selling a few without stating that https://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZtrustforce1200QQhtZ-1

Thanks

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

No-one know?

Ok, here's a bunch of label designs - all orignals as far as I can tell.

100503498161.jpg

220050635047.jpg

4738242053.jpg

That one and the one above it most likely the same issue/colour label - label came out darker on the photo on the second one than on the scanned one)

(the blue one above came with the following

"NORTHERN SOUL SUPERLATIVES I STILL LOVE YOU (ORGINAL) THIS IS THE PLAIN LIGHT BLUE ISSUE (SEE MANSHIP GUIDE£75) ORIGINAL US UPTITE RECORDS

"Please note this is a guaranteed us original purchased by myself in the USA two months ago and i have sold an exact copy to j manship")

4868507411.jpg

Bootlegs

cc39_1.JPG

490d_1.JPG

Must be blindingly obvious that the font on Uptite on the second plain blue issue is markedly different to the font on the Uptite on the first one. Someone even claimed the water damaged copy I was selling and the last picture were the same. Obviously they're not :thumbsup:

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Yeah, I thought the first one (the bright blue copy) was obviously a boot. Must say I thought this boot/non-boot issue was more obvious than it seems to be.

Manship's bootleg guide states two boots...the styrene blue with lines across and the 'bevelled edge' italic Uptite issue (as shown in the first pic). Not sure if it makes mention of the Font style being different but it seems odd that the font style on the Yellow (defo original) and the plain blue are the same yet different on the plain bright blue issue...surely that's the boot if only because it shows someone tried to mimic the italic of the yellow/blue one but got it wrong.

There were apparently three originals, one yellow, one plain blue (both with italics) and a light blue one with lines.

Social source share

Pete's right the FIRST copy you show is CERTAINLY a bootleg. In fact if you look in the deadwax you should see (fingers crossed) JC scratched in. You see JC on a lot of Los Angeles legit presses as well as some bootlegs procured by that man..from L.A. who sent us tons of boots over in the early 70s.

Uptite is from New Jersey of coarse..

The bootleg copy should have a BEVELLED edge also..but you may have a bootleg of the bootleg if you get my drift.

john

Social source share

Pete's right the FIRST copy you show is CERTAINLY a bootleg. In fact if you look in the deadwax you should see (fingers crossed) JC scratched in. You see JC on a lot of Los Angeles legit presses as well as some bootlegs procured by that man..from L.A. who sent us tons of boots over in the early 70s.

Uptite is from New Jersey of coarse..

The bootleg copy should have a BEVELLED edge also..but you may have a bootleg of the bootleg if you get my drift.

john

John, my second post showed images of what are (apparently) originals. The copy I have on ebay

113.jpg

is identical to the copy the guy claims he sold to you (see my second post) except the blue on mine is faded thanks to water damage. How do you mean I could have a bootleg of a bootleg? Isn't it obvious that the plain blue bootleg has a different font on the Uptite to the real plain blue issue? Wouldn't that be the distinguishing factor? Otherwise there would be 3 boots, not the two you have in your guide (as explained to me by a mate - I don't have the guide myself) No?

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

it's a great record but why would anyone boot it? (not saying they're not boots btw, just asking the question genuinely)

i thought it was a 10 quid thing? have seen literally dozens of them

Social source share

John, my second post showed images of what are (apparently) originals. The copy I have on ebay

113.jpg

is identical to the copy the guy claims he sold to you (see my second post) except the blue on mine is faded thanks to water damage. How do you mean I could have a bootleg of a bootleg? Isn't it obvious that the plain blue bootleg has a different font on the Uptite to the real plain blue issue? Wouldn't that be the distinguishing factor? Otherwise there would be 3 boots, not the two you have in your guide (as explained to me by a mate - I don't have the guide myself) No?

Sorry my first post wasn't too clear. The water damaged one above is a legit press this also comes in the rarer yellow label. Same press - diff. colour.

The copy with JC in the deadwax and the different U on the logo is a bootleg!! All I was saying was the bootleg with the different U on the logo maybe have been booted more than just the once.. still today I find "rare" bootlegs of bootlegs. But I believe this was only bootlegged ONCE. (i was just covering myself)

The other guys question on " why would anyone bootleg it"? This was a HUGE MONSTER at the Torch & The Catacoombs and extremely hard to find in the early 70s. That's why our friend from L.A. booted it. Today any original authenic copy we would sell as follows.

I STILL LOVE YOU WE'RE SO LONELY UPTITE 250 Jersey City address two lines across the label 75.00 **

I STILL LOVE YOU WE'RE SO LONELY UPTITE 250 light blue label 85.00 **

I STILL LOVE YOU WE'RE SO LONELY UPTITE 250 yellow label 100.00

** = these have been bootlegged

The Jersey City address press (below) has a indistinquishable matrix stampin the deadwax. This has been COUNTERFEITED so beware it's NOT listed in my bootleg Guide, which to be honest desperately needs updating(over 8 years old now)

100503498161.jpg

The Jersey City bootleg has been done twice once in styrene with a darker blue label.and once in vinyl (COUNTERFEIT) but this does not have the matrix stamp..tiny hard to see but it's there in the authentic originals deadwax.

Hope that all makes this topic a little clearer..

John

Social source share

it's a great record but why would anyone boot it? (not saying they're not boots btw, just asking the question genuinely)

Because it was a real monster back in 1973-74, no copies around...then revived late 70's. Blue ones 40-50 quid, yellow ones 50-70 quid

Social source share

Sorry my first post wasn't too clear. The water damaged one above is a legit press this also comes in the rarer yellow label. Same press - diff. colour.

The copy with JC in the deadwax and the different U on the logo is a bootleg!! All I was saying was the bootleg with the different U on the logo maybe have been booted more than just the once.. still today I find "rare" bootlegs of bootlegs. But I believe this was only bootlegged ONCE. (i was just covering myself)

The other guys question on " why would anyone bootleg it"? This was a HUGE MONSTER at the Torch & The Catacoombs and extremely hard to find in the early 70s. That's why our friend from L.A. booted it. Today any original authenic copy we would sell as follows.

I STILL LOVE YOU WE'RE SO LONELY UPTITE 250 Jersey City address two lines across the label 75.00 **

The Jersey City address press (below) has a indistinquishable matrix stampin the deadwax. This has been COUNTERFEITED so beware it's NOT listed in my bootleg Guide, which to be honest desperately needs updating(over 8 years old now)

100503498161.jpg

The Jersey City bootleg has been done twice once in styrene with a darker blue label.and once in vinyl (COUNTERFEIT) but this does not have the matrix stamp..tiny hard to see but it's there in the authentic originals deadwax.

John

Ok, thanks John. As I thought (and as stated in my ebay listing) the copy I have IS an original plain blue issue, despite what three people claimed otherwise (through ebay, not here). Glad to get that sorted.

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

I Still Love You - The Superlatives - Uptite -

15008 refosoul Uptite_U-250a_Y.jpgUptite_U-250a_LB.jpg

These two are both from Soul Bowl, with approx 13mm Deadwax,

there is a very tiny Matrix Stamp, both sides very faint.

(Capital "R" on the Yellow, hard to distinguish on the blue.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

& Then there is this one, which only has a 5mm Deadwax.

Although it looks similar, I reckon It's almost certainly a Boot.

---------------(BOOT?)

Uptite_U-250a_LB_B.jpg

---------------(BOOT?)

I hope that this helps :thumbsup:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Ok, thanks John. As I thought (and as stated in my ebay listing) the copy I have IS an original plain blue issue, despite what three people claimed otherwise (through ebay, not here). Glad to get that sorted.

Did you sell it.....it looks like I have a Jersey City boot to replace :thumbsup:

John,So are you saying that all the Jersey City copies in vinyl are boots ?

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Hi Martyn

All the three that I have posted, the two originals and the suspected Boot are Vinyl. :wicked:

This is confusing..........The Jersey City copy I have has no matrix stamp (that I can see),is vinyl but the paper on the label is very 60's if you know what I mean.When were they booted in this format?

Social source share

100503498161.jpg

John

Hi,

Dear I ask, what is the matrix stamp in the Jersey City copy? Is it etched or mechanically stamped and what does it read?

Sorry to be a pain, I have a Jersey Cityt copy, allegedlly original but now youve got me wondering!!

Thanks in anticipation

Alamo

Social source share

Hi,

Dear I ask, what is the matrix stamp in the Jersey City copy? Is it etched or mechanically stamped and what does it read?

Sorry to be a pain, I have a Jersey Cityt copy, allegedlly original but now youve got me wondering!!

Thanks in anticipation

Alamo

Same as that mate..............

Mine has a etched U-250 A, same as the label number,(obviously u-250 B on the b side), with a very short 5mm run out.......The evidence seems to be stacking up against it being legit.

Perhaps John can throw some light on when they were booted (if they are boots)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Because it was a real monster back in 1973-74, no copies around...then revived late 70's. Blue ones 40-50 quid, yellow ones 50-70 quid

That's right! "I Still Love You" was a MASSIVE record in 1973 at the Catacombs, Pendulum etc. Was initially bootlegged with a yellow label on heavy vinyl I think, like the Canturbury/Soultown bootlegs. They were markedly different from genuine yellow 'uns though.

Incidently, peering over the decks, all the copies I saw being played in '73 were yellow labels. Pep's copy was yellow. Maybe the blue ones were found later?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Same as that mate..............

Mine has a etched U-250 A, same as the label number,(obviously u-250 B on the b side), with a very short 5mm run out.......The evidence seems to be stacking up against it being legit.

Perhaps John can throw some light on when they were booted (if they are boots)

Hi Martyn

John should be able to condifm the 5mm Deadwax copy.

The Matrix Stamp is very faintly stamped and is difficult to describe but it is a stamp.

My 5mm Deadwax copy didn't come from a reputable dealer, so ?

The other two were from Soul Bowl, as I stated, and I am 100% certain that they are genuine originals shades.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

A story about Peps copy(Northern history department)....Froggy Taylor had a copy,Paul Jeffries(Stroud) took it to the Mecca to sell, some Black guy from Leeds stole it(somehow) while looking through our pile of records! later on that night he offered it for sale ,cheeky bastard!somehow i managed to steal it back(only copy in there! definately ours) gave it to Jerry Lott as we legged it, got in the car and he sat on it!Craak....went on to Hilton Park met the gang from the Cats, Pep etc, record still played perfect(discotron) so he bought it,incidently to date this night........It was before Wigan had opened and was the same night Swish had his new cover-up stolen........Which was Dean Parish-I´m on my way.

Doesn´t help much really but just a nice anecdote about the scene

Professor Steve

Brill story...typical Gloster antics eh Steve?

Social source share

Hi Martyn

John should be able to condifm the 5mm Deadwax copy.

The Matrix Stamp is very faintly stamped and is difficult to describe but it is a stamp.

My 5mm Deadwax copy didn't come from a reputable dealer, so ?

The other two were from Soul Bowl, as I stated, and I am 100% certain that they are genuine originals shades.gif

Thanks

Mmmm,mine came from a US Ebay dealer about 4 years ago,cant remember which one though.I'm reluctant to bin it until I know for sure its a boot.

Social source share

Did you sell it.....it looks like I have a Jersey City boot to replace ranting_1.gif

John,So are you saying that all the Jersey City copies in vinyl are boots ?

Back on ebay with an essay accompanying it...which looks out of date now after all these New Jersey bombshells! wicked.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Brill story...typical Gloster antics eh Steve?

Great stuff! I love anecdotes like this (as you've all probably gathered...!) Let's have more of 'em! :wicked:

You should post it on my 'Catacombs' thread!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

The first one you asked about is definitely a boot...

post-4950-1172368218_thumb.jpg

These three are absolutely, definitely BOOTS! :wicked:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

• 11 years later...
On 22/02/2007 at 16:14, 45cellar said:

I Still Love You - The Superlatives - Uptite -

15008 refosoul Uptite_U-250a_Y.jpgUptite_U-250a_LB.jpg

These two are both from Soul Bowl, with approx 13mm Deadwax,

there is a very tiny Matrix Stamp, both sides very faint.

(Capital "R" on the Yellow, hard to distinguish on the blue.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

& Then there is this one, which only has a 5mm Deadwax.

Although it looks similar, I reckon It's almost certainly a Boot.

---------------(BOOT?)

Uptite_U-250a_LB_B.jpg

---------------(BOOT?)

I hope that this helps :thumbsup:

Times wrong too

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!