Songs with different versions

Go to solution Solved by Tlscapital,

A couple of songs I have heard recently,  a vocal version of Frantic Escape by the Innocent Bystanders and a version of Shing-A-Ling by The Cooperettes, with different lyrics and Artist. Any idea what the song titles are ?

Social source share

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Shing-A-Ling by The Cooperettes could have been the Irma & the Fascinations 'you need love' cut that was previously unissued until issued by goldmine on a Sevens 45.

Innocent bystanders 'frantic escape' ?

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Mrmick said:

Can't recall a vocal version of frantic escape.. would love to hear it.. I've just checked my Atlantic and Pameline copies, both got crime doesn't pay on flip a funky sound.. 

Not sure a vocal could easily fit over that full-on frantic instrumental of a tune. Luther Ingram 'if it's all...' is a rare prime example of such a smart successful fit. But for the rest most of the times I find the instrumental versions to work better.

The Kaddo Strings over the shabby some Duke Browner 'cringing' singing who struggles to stay fit over the powerful drive of the tune is a good example of a not so good fit IMO. Even if the vocal still has the favor of the dee-jays to this day.

FWIW I first had my Atlantic issue of 'frantic escape'. My then 'find memory' sticked to it emotionally but once I got a Pameline issue I heard how the louder and deeper mastering worked there. Instantly I sold my Atlantic copy never to regret.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Not sure a vocal could easily fit over that full-on frantic instrumental of a tune. Luther Ingram 'if it's all...' is a rare prime example of such a smart successful fit. But for the rest most of the times I find the instrumental versions to work better.

The Kaddo Strings over the shabby some Duke Browner 'cringing' singing who struggles to stay fit over the powerful drive of the tune is a good example of a not so good fit IMO. Even if the vocal still has the favor of the dee-jays to this day.

FWIW I first had my Atlantic issue of 'frantic escape'. My then 'find memory' sticked to it emotionally but once I got a Pameline issue I heard how the louder and deeper mastering worked there. Instantly I sold my Atlantic copy never to regret.

Agree about instrumentals in general better than vocals.  “As Long As You Love Me - Ronnie & Robyn ” is a decent vocal too though a different title to the “Sidra’s Theme” instrumental.   I wonder how many others use the instrumental for the vocal but change the title ? 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Soulsider said:

Agree about instrumentals in general better than vocals.  “As Long As You Love Me - Ronnie & Robyn ” is a decent vocal too though a different title to the “Sidra’s Theme” instrumental.   I wonder how many others use the instrumental for the vocal but change the title ? 

Ronnie & Robyn vocal was initially planned as is. The instrumental came out just after. But am not found of the very 'not so soulful' vocals there. And the instrumental is immense so that gets my vote...

The unissued Mayfield 'don't start none' as instrumental is weak-ish in comparison. As it is clearly only a backing track instrumental full of 'nothing happens' holes awaiting the vocals it was cut for.

Without the necessary vocals fillings it loses my listener's listening attention and to dance to it is a bore IMO. Although the Mayfield Singer "amateurish" vocal treatment is sadly not up to the task either IMO.

Title changes for instrumentals over vocals or vice versa are not that many as far as "northern soul" sounds are concerned I reckon. Beside this 'Sidra's Theme' nothing actually comes to mind on the spot...

Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulsider said:

I wonder how many others use the instrumental for the vocal but change the title ? 

Here's a few more 

Checkerboard Squares- "Double Cookin' " , Magicians - "(Just A Little) Faith and Understanding" or Tandells "Is It Love Baby" 

Jo Armstead "I Feel An Urge Comin' On" , Jo Armstead and Band- "The Urge Keeps Coming (Dance, Dance, Dance)"

Laura Lee "To Win Your Heart" San Remo Strings "Festival Time"

Doni Burdick "Bari Track", Rose Battiste "I Miss My Baby" or "This Heart Is Lonely"

Luther Ingram - "If It's All The Same To You..." , Luther Ingram Orch. - "Exus Trek" 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Whilst already owning the Jimmy Delphs version of "Almost" on US Karen, heard the Betty Lavette version at a recent Ashton Ukranian club played by Luci Jones, and it sounded superb.....Happily recently acquired from Zanetti on here... Thanx to both!

Social source share

2 hours ago, The Yank said:

Here's a few more 

Checkerboard Squares- "Double Cookin' " , Magicians - "(Just A Little) Faith and Understanding" or Tandells "Is It Love Baby" 

Jo Armstead "I Feel An Urge Comin' On" , Jo Armstead and Band- "The Urge Keeps Coming (Dance, Dance, Dance)"

Laura Lee "To Win Your Heart" San Remo Strings "Festival Time"

Doni Burdick "Bari Track", Rose Battiste "I Miss My Baby" or "This Heart Is Lonely"

Luther Ingram - "If It's All The Same To You..." , Luther Ingram Orch. - "Exus Trek" 

Double Cookin' and Festival Time I could never keep these close in my mind in both incarnations as they're that distant from my heart. Ever since, but doggone you're right they're sitting right up there in the NS TOP500 wall with the Good, the Bad and the Ugly... selective memory...

Jo Armstead titles are merely variations on the same words in title in my book. But let's say O-kay-ish... Doni Burdick and Rose Batiste are different recordings. Although both versions are utterly fantastic. Vocally and instrumentally. Top ! Luther was mentioned above. Top too.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!