Soul Jazz & Vocal Soul Jazz

Hello Everyone,

I host a weekly Soul Jazz show in TX. I play a variety of Soul music based around the Soul Jazz genre. I was wondering if anyone here would like to through out and list a few of their Soul Jazz favorites? I came across Ramsey Lewis "Wade in the Water" on Cadet by accident while out diggin. Paid a few cents for it, got home and completely fell in love with the single. As I did more research, I learned that this single got a few spins on the Northern scene. This got me going and thinking, what other Soul Jazz / Dancers are out there??

For starters:

Not sure if this made it's way onto to dancefloors but Philip Upchurch's "You Can't sit down" is a storming dancer. IMHO.

anyone? thanks.

soulful,

JJ-

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I love this style of music and you can't go wrong with the Mod Jazz series on Kent.

My own faves are a bit predictable:

Smokey Joe's La La - Googie Rene Combo

Sack Of Woe - Ray Bryant Combo

Jericho - Booker T & The MGs

My Train - Merl Saunders

Brother Ray - Willis Jackson

Then you have early 60s Latin Boogaloo stuff like Mongo Santamaria's "Yeh Yeh", "Get The Money" etc

Can anyone point me in the direction of other Mod Jazz/Latin artists/CDs to be looking out for?

I've got all the easy to get stuff like Mongo, Ray Barretto, Joe Bataan, Wille Bobo, Pucho and the various comps that appeared on labels like Harmless in the mid to late 90s.

Cheers

Gordy

Social source share

What time and day does your show air JJ?

Is it online? I'll check it out.

Thanks

Gordy

Excellent!! Mod!! Thank you and thank you for the recommendations. I've not heard of them and will certainly look into them!

listed on my signiture is a link to the archive show of the week. So the link posted is this past Saturday's show.

I'm live on the net

Sat. afternoon

1pm - 3pm CST

I'll post this past week's playlist in the next day or so. I just happend upon a stock of Soul Jazz 45's. The next show is going to feature some really special finds, imho.

Johnny Lytle "The Man" Constellation

Big Moose & The Jams "Off the Hook" Age - big more of an R&B swinger, but great Soul Jazz none the less

and a few other nice selections from the find.

Social source share

Guest TonyCrampton

I love this style of music and you can't go wrong with the Mod Jazz series on Kent.

My own faves are a bit predictable:

Smokey Joe's La La - Googie Rene Combo

Sack Of Woe - Ray Bryant Combo

Jericho - Booker T & The MGs

My Train - Merl Saunders

Brother Ray - Willis Jackson

Then you have early 60s Latin Boogaloo stuff like Mongo Santamaria's "Yeh Yeh", "Get The Money" etc

Can anyone point me in the direction of other Mod Jazz/Latin artists/CDs to be looking out for?

I've got all the easy to get stuff like Mongo, Ray Barretto, Joe Bataan, Wille Bobo, Pucho and the various comps that appeared on labels like Harmless in the mid to late 90s.

Cheers

Gordy

Check out Louies Ramirez In the heat of Spanish Harlem and Mongo's best L.P IMO Mongo's Way.

Cheers Tony.

Social source share

I love Latin Boogaloo / Soul Jazz. I try as often as possible to feature local and regional material as well. most of the time they are Key-loc features. Sunny & The Sunliners, Little Jr. Jesse, etc. This week, or maybe next I have a little local pressed Latin Chicano Soul thing on the Jox label. Really nice mellow Soul Jazz, very sweet.

thank you for the recommendations gents.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

A lovely vocal soul jazz track I regulalry spin is the wonderful "Get With it" by Billy Parker & 4th World on the legendary Strata East label. The vocals to the track are provided by Dee Dee Bridgewater.

Another great example of soul jazz is Deirdre Wislon Tabacs "I cant keep from crying sometimes" on Rca.

Bobby Hebb's "Evil Woman" is also a fantastic record.

Of course theres loads but I think these three are great starting points. :D

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

A lovely vocal soul jazz track I regulalry spin is the wonderful "Get With it" by Billy Parker & 4th World on the legendary Strata East label. The vocals to the track are provided by Dee Dee Bridgewater.

Another great example of soul jazz is Deirdre Wislon Tabacs "I cant keep from crying sometimes" on Rca.

Bobby Hebb's "Evil Woman" is also a fantastic record.

Of course theres loads but I think these three are great starting points. thumbsup.gif

Excellent!! Thank you everyone for your recommendations, they are very much appreciated.

Social source share

So i checked out the Kent releases "Mod Jazz." wow, I was suprised at how much Soul Jazz was featured on the cd's. Actually, that is all it was. I don't know much about the Mod scene. Was that the core sound for the movement?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert