Chapter Five - You Can't Mean It

macca

At a recent 60's weekender over here, I heard one of the 'white' DJs play this, & on a European P/S, which may have been a Dutch or Italian copy, he wasn't sure either! The dancefloor reaction was positive, considering they weren't Soul fans as such. Are these easy to come by? Might be a nice alternative to the mega rare UK jobbie.

M

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

At a recent 60's weekender over here, I heard one of the 'white' DJs play this, & on a European P/S, which may have been a Dutch or Italian copy, he wasn't sure either! The dancefloor reaction was positive, considering they weren't Soul fans as such. Are these easy to come by? Might be a nice alternative to the mega rare UK jobbie.

M

There as been such a thread not long back,anybody know where.

Social source share

I think I might have told this before but I can remember as a young office clerk in the late 8ts / early 9ts sitting at my desk in my lunch hour absorbing a soulzine wondering as to how I could pick a copy of this 45 without paying too much for it...so I placed an ad in the local rag up in Carlisle telling some porkie about looking for a copy of "You cant mean it" saying it was my Dads fave 45 and wanting to obtain a copy for his birthday!

Ok it was slightly dishonest but hey needs must and bingo...ended up with 5 copies for a total of about £100...including an absolute minter which was £60. 4 copies were sold on and the proceeds went on buying Les Chansonettes I think, the mint copy remains tucked away.

Don't surpose anybody ever saw the ad ?

Social source share

I think I might have told this before but I can remember as a young office clerk in the late 8ts / early 9ts sitting at my desk in my lunch hour absorbing a soulzine wondering as to how I could pick a copy of this 45 without paying too much for it...so I placed an ad in the local rag up in Carlisle telling some porkie about looking for a copy of "You cant mean it" saying it was my Dads fave 45 and wanting to obtain a copy for his birthday!

Ok it was slightly dishonest but hey needs must and bingo...ended up with 5 copies for a total of about £100...including an absolute minter which was £60. 4 copies were sold on and the proceeds went on buying Les Chansonettes I think, the mint copy remains tucked away.

Don't surpose anybody ever saw the ad ?

I got my mate to do the same, he got 2 or 3 copies, I got one, though he also worked with the bloke who actually wrote the record, Dave McGerty, who was a security guard at the time...

Social source share

bet there's a stack still underneath someone's stairs then. thanks for the info guys...

will ask the DJ in question for full scan & info of his copy 'cos I'm sure it said chapter

five on the picture sleeve.

What is the picture on the picture sleeve? Perhaps someone has just been a bit artistically creative with a copy of a 'Sevens' press of the tracks? There were also some blank label presses of those two together in recent years - 'Sevens' test presses?.

I can't see it being anything other than a recent-ish 're-press' aimed at the northern scene. YCMI was the B side to the 'plug' side 'Anything That You Do' in 1966. OIAM was the A side to 'Hey Hey' in 1967. If it was a legit re-release, surely they would some for the UK, as it would potentialy the bigest market for it?

Anyone seen a CBS issue of OIAM?

Social source share

Anyone seen a CBS issue of OIAM?

There aren't any. I had that confirmed to me by members of the band many many years ago.

Tell you what though, I might be imagining this but I swear Dave Flynn has a 10" acetate of Kenny Bernard doing One In A Million, using the Chapter Five backing track, he played it at Brighton once. Bernard and C5 probably had the same manager.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

just got this p/s scan from a mate who played this at a 60's weekender over here recently. I was surprised to hear it 'cos the guy in question is a psyche/freakbeat chap. sometimes the line is very thin. that awesome intro did sound cool amongst all the swirly, twirly stuff though.

post-122-1197493730_thumb.jpg

Social source share

just got this p/s scan from a mate who played this at a 60's weekender over here recently. I was surprised to hear it 'cos the guy in question is a psyche/freakbeat chap. sometimes the line is very thin. that awesome intro did sound cool amongst all the swirly, twirly stuff though.

Last time this was up on eBay it went for £460.00

Interesting little Q&A went as follows:

Q

Hi, Just seen this on ebay. I am Dave McGerty, the keyboard player with Chapter five, and I wrote "You Can't Mean It" We were not aware that this record had been released. John St John is in fact our vocalist John Ritson, and it's his picture on the sleeve. I can only assume that the record company decided to release this record after the band broke up in the sixties. It's very interesting to say the least. Cheers, Dave McGerty 22-Ott-07 R:

Are you really a CHAPTER FIVE member? i can¡t believe it!!!! thanks a lot for info as i knew John Ritson was your vocalist but i did not find any info regarding to john st john as i did not think they were the same person thanks ed

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!