Northern / Mod Tunes Quiz

Guest soul99 easylay

Guest soul99 easylay

Hi all,

I'm doing a quiz for the folks at work (who are all non-soulies) and I want to do a round on Northern and Mod tunes, along the lines of artists who they would be able to have an informed guess at, but, that they wouldn't know the actual songs/clips played to them (i.e the artist would be better known to them in another guise or for much more widely known songs).

I'm struggling a bit at the moment, so am seeking your expert help! :lol:

What I have at the moment is:

1. The Night - Frankie Valli

2. Just Like A Yo Yo - Cilla Black

3. Stop get A Hold Of Myself - Gladys Knight

4. I dig everything - David Bowie (as David Jones) - yep, you guessed it that's the Mod one :D

5. Lonely teardrops - Jackie Wilson

but I can't think of anymore (other than maybe slipping a Carl Douglas one in but that's getting really tenuous).

Can you think of any???

If you can, can you also post MP3 clips for me please???

Any suggestions gratefully received :ohmy:

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi all,

I'm doing a quiz for the folks at work (who are all non-soulies) and I want to do a round on Northern and Mod tunes, along the lines of artists who they would be able to have an informed guess at, but, that they wouldn't know the actual songs/clips played to them (i.e the artist would be better known to them in another guise or for much more widely known songs).

I'm struggling a bit at the moment, so am seeking your expert help! :lol:

What I have at the moment is:

1. The Night - Frankie Valli

2. Just Like A Yo Yo - Cilla Black

3. Stop get A Hold Of Myself - Gladys Knight

4. I dig everything - David Bowie (as David Jones) - yep, you guessed it that's the Mod one :D

5. Lonely teardrops - Jackie Wilson

but I can't think of anymore (other than maybe slipping a Carl Douglas one in but that's getting really tenuous).

Can you think of any???

If you can, can you also post MP3 clips for me please???

Any suggestions gratefully received :ohmy:

Elvis - Rubberkneckin'

Dusty Springfield - What's it gonna be

Tom Jones - Stop breaking my heart

Ray Charles - I don't need no doctor + others

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Dusty Springfield - What's it gonna be

:lol: How could I forget Dusty! :ohmy:

Cheers Simon

Have you got any clips of tom Jones or Ray Charles?

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Steve Brookstein / Four Vandals

Rowly, I mean this in the nicest possible way - but the Four Vandals :thumbsup:FOOK OFF laugh.gif ...I wouldn't inflict that pile of pish on any one, let alone my work colleagues :(

Social source share

Rowly, I mean this in the nicest possible way - but the Four Vandals :thumbsup:FOOK OFF laugh.gif ...I wouldn't inflict that pile of pish on any one, let alone my work colleagues :P

:(:lol::lol:laugh.gif

Social source share

Anything by a well known Motown act would fit the bill? Early Tina Turner too?

The Contours " Do You love Me " will possibly throw non - soul people , as they will be possibly more familiar with the version by Brian Poole & The Tremeloes .....

Another good track is Dee Dee Warwick's excellent version of The Mamas & The Papas " Monday Monday " .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

God you're gonna look like a right spod Cooler King laugh.gif

I happen to know that quite a few of your colleagues are in their 20s/early 30s and won't have a clue who any of these artists are, while the older ones are sort of mainstream pop punters - not pub quiz types.

What's the point of playing tracks by the Contours or Dee Dee warwick when they'll have never heard of them. Doubt many of them will remember Russ Abbott, Anita Harris or ancient boxers for that matter and the nippers will probably me amazed that Cilla was ever a singer as they'll only know her from crap TV.

It's probably best I keep schtum about the fact that you used to have 4 Vandals as your ring tone... :thumbup:

Oops - Too late!

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

It's probably best I keep schtum about the fact that you used to have 4 Vandals as your ring tone... whistling.gif

MODERATOR, MODERATOR

*********LIBEL ALERT**********

THIS IS NOT TRUE! :D

You can go off people you know, Godz, I don't know how you could put something like this when I've kept your Credence Clearwater Revival secret for years!! :D

I DEMAND A FULL RETRACTION :thumbup:

Social source share

MODERATOR, MODERATOR

*********LIBEL ALERT**********

THIS IS NOT TRUE! :ohmy:

You can go off people you know, Godz, I don't know how you could put something like this when I've kept your Credence Clearwater Revival secret for years!! :wicked:

I DEMAND A FULL RETRACTION :rolleyes:

Wow that's pretty shouty - raw nerve mate :lol:

I distinctly remember you buying some sort of godawful I*n L*v*ne related CD and playing it in your car raving about said track. I had to give you the whole 4Vs story and to your credit you did an about face sharpish like.

As for CCR, well I don't mind Bad Moon Rising, can sometimes put up with Proud Mary and if Born on the Bayou is one of theirs I like the intro. Otherwise, not a fan. I ran away from John Fogerty live at Glasto a couple of years ago cause he was feckin' horrid.

Now stop being such a revisionist or I'll reveal more unsavoury stories... :D

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Wow that's pretty shouty - raw nerve mate :wicked:

I distinctly remember you buying some sort of godawful I*n L*v*ne related CD and playing it in your car raving about said track. I had to give you the whole 4Vs story and to your credit you did an about face sharpish like.

As for CCR, well I don't mind Bad Moon Rising, can sometimes put up with Proud Mary and if Born on the Bayou is one of theirs I like the intro. Otherwise, not a fan. I ran away from John Fogerty live at Glasto a couple of years ago cause he was feckin' horrid.

Now stop being such a revisionist or I'll reveal more unsavoury stories... :D

I'm not biting Godz! :rolleyes:

You insist that I liked the track in the first place - but I never did (you git) :lol:

as for your knowledge of CCR - I'm impressed mate - I would have thought that Born on the Bayou was waaaayy to thin & white for you :yes:

now bugger off and do some homework or something :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert