Len Barry

Guest BRIDDER

regarding a brunswick lp by len barry, one of the tracks mentioned was "when you call me baby". I dont think I've heard this. So if anyone has a soundfile it would be much appreciated. thankyou ... Bryan

Edited by BRIDDER
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest soulmaguk

Dont think it came from an LP. Think it came fron a six track acetate recently auctioned on JMs and now all the tracks have been released on That Philly Sound.

Social source share

A Few Tracks have been released recently on E.P./ Single,

Very Short clip here >>> LINK <<<

I only heard Love Love and I'll Always need you ..... or did I miss something?

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Yeah it was on the LP.

These sound like ropey outtakes compared to Dean Courtney and Joey Heathertons versions.

know what you mean, very basic sounding, but i do think Love, Love Love is the better version to Bobby Hebbs, think Len actually co-wrote it.

Social source share

know what you mean, very basic sounding, but i do think Love, Love Love is the better version to Bobby Hebbs, think Len actually co-wrote it.

Yeah thats what I mean, they need to be really fleshed out, but even if they were they couldn't come close - Dean Courtneys record is one of the greatest 45's ever made, the production and arrangement is unbelievable - Bobby Hebb's Love Love Love isn't far behind - the problem with the Barry tracks (!) is lack of a big orchestra behind them. They're ok if you'd never heard another version.

Social source share

Yeah it was on the LP.

These sound like ropey outtakes compared to Dean Courtney and Joey Heathertons versions.

John Madara actually remastered all the That Philly Sound 45s and the sound quality is totally amazing! Don't judge the sound from a computer file..which never sound as good as the vinyl anyway.

I can assure you the sound on ALL "That Philly Sound" releases are more than PERFECT, as John Madara is the eternal perfectionist.

Joey Heatherton version was recorded in the very same session as the Len Barry.

Who's version is the best is a matter for interpretation and of course personal taste, but I've never heard a 60s Len Barry DECCA record I didn't like. No matter who recorded it later..

I think "ropey outtakes" is a strong comment, if you've never actually ever heard it from vinyl.

Social source share

John Madara actually remastered all the That Philly Sound 45s and the sound quality is totally amazing! Don't judge the sound from a computer file..which never sound as good as the vinyl anyway.

I can assure you the sound on ALL "That Philly Sound" releases are more than PERFECT, as John Madara is the eternal perfectionist.

Joey Heatherton version was recorded in the very same session as the Len Barry.

Who's version is the best is a matter for interpretation and of course personal taste, but I've never heard a 60s Len Barry DECCA record I didn't like. No matter who recorded it later..

I think "ropey outtakes" is a strong comment, if you've never actually ever heard it from vinyl.

See further comments above, they sound unfinished without a 'big city' production, I'm not on about the quality of the sound clips which are perfectly good. They're a bit..hollow sounding. if you check you'll see I've been saying that for years since it was first discussed, not just since you've had them in stock!

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Interesting opinions on this. Agree with Pete about Dean Courtney & Bobby Hebb - they are just perfect soul records - 2 of the best records ever played on the northern scene.

The Len Barry version has a "cool - laidback" feel in the vocals - can imagine him just stood in the studio with an open neck shirt on & just going for it as if he was singing in a nightclub. Like it.

Social source share

Did the LP / LPs have a proper sleeve? I think it has a proper label, doesn't it? Anyone know what the complete track listing is for both side?

If you manage to get a copy of JM's 'Christmas List 2007' catalogue, he does a great piece on the album - including scans of both sides of the actual LP and includes the track listing as follows:

Somewhere

I'm In Love

Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing

Love Is

The First Kiss To The Lat

When You Call Me baby

It's That Time Of The Year

I'll Always Need You

My Soul Concerto

It's A Crying Shame

Happily Ever After

Love Love Love

This LP is top of my wants so if any one out there owns a copy (or knows someone who does) and they would like a four figure cash sum for it then please contact me!!

As a continuation of the 'debate' concerning comparison of production etc on the different cuts I'm gonna throw in my two penny worth:

Len did, indeed, contribute to the writing of 'I'll Always Need You' ... funnily though, the Dean Courtney RCA 45 credits Leon Huff & Len Barry, whereas the Philly Sound 45 credits J Madara, L Barry and D White!?! maybe JM can throw more light on this.. John? As for the production... Pete, whilst we are all (quite rightly) entitled to our opinions - I can't see where you are coming from when you refer to 'lack' of producton on the LB Philly Sound 45's. Perhaps it is because these are digitally remastered you feel the production is lacking? I don't know... but I can tell you that even to my well beaten up eardrums the production is actually spot on! The orchestration is definately there, and in abundance! Maybe it is just difference in technology used on the different recordings that account for your apparent displeasure? Only my opinion, of course.

'When You Call Me Baby' - WOW!!! to me this pisses all over Joey Heatherton. Just an observation but, if the situation was reversed whereby the Len Barry cut was the 'historic' one and Joey's version was released on vinyl in 2007... just wonder what peoples 'honest' opinions would be then? I'm betting that the 'loyalty' factor would play a large part in their responses, with the 'classic' (in this case Len's) version being the preferred cut!

'Love Love Love' - well, to me, comparing William Bonney's version to that of Len Barry is like saying that Victoria Beckham could do a better version of, say, Betty Lloyd 'I'm Catching On'... :lol: they is not even in da same league man! Not even on da same planet or in da same universe!! Ditto comments on the reverse situation mentioned above.

To me, Len Barry is one of those few white artists (Turley Richards being another example) born with the wrong colour skin!

There... that feels better :P

Social source share

My favourite from the two record set lifted off the LP is "I'm In Love" which is total full on proper Northern Soul, which hasn't been recorded by anyone else.

Quick link if you want to hear it

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/search.php?Po...=27&sch.y=7

Defo epitomises 'Northern Soul', not suprised you include it in your current set John... totally top draw tune that grabs you by the proverbials and defies your feet not to move to the infectious stomping beat - even if your standing still! I, for one, will certainly included it in my set when appropriate!

Social source share

Mr. Ficklefingers, your comments below

"Love Love Love' - well, to me, comparing William Bonney's version to that of Len Barry is like saying that Victoria Beckham could do a better version of, say, Betty Lloyd 'I'm Catching On'... :D they is not even in da same league man! Not even on da same planet or in da same universe!! "

prompted me to dig out William Bonney's version to compare..

Although Pete is totally entitled to differ in taste, I agree William Bonney's version although good, compared to Len Barry it is truly Woeful and that includes the production not just Willie's pure-white vocal.

On the crediting front, Leon Huff, David White, Len Barry and John Madara were a team.."Doulble Diamond Publishing" who I think all had input into all the productions of that period.

Jimmy Wisner, Jerry Ross & Joe Renzetti were mates and associates of all the above. John Madara considers he wrote "Love, Love, Love" which is always credited to Jerry Ross & Joe Renzetti.

Jimmy Wisner, Jerry Ross & Joe Renzetti caputured the services of Len Barry from John Madara & David White in 1967. It seems who did what first and who wrote exactly which & when.. has been lost in a minestrone of friendship and mountain of associated work. John Madara actually never even knew Bobby Hebb or William Bonney recorded "Love, Love, Love", which is puzzling.

I just think Len Barry in the 60s was the greatest black vocal inside a white body.. and apparently Len thought that too.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert