Vessie Simmons Lp

Sjclement

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Can't do soundfiles but you might enjoy this pic from the back sleeve of the album :ohmy:

...and I've just noticed that "Make It" isn't on this album anyway. Does she have two? (Albums I mean, of course. It's pretty obvious that she has two 'other things'...)

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest biggray1

Simco Records KGB 824 Vessie Simmons On my own Lp...Loads of covers to be had on the Lp even a bit of Motown...The Track you mention last for 5:oo mins so dig out the 45 and check time. Sorry cant do sound file cant be arsed at this time..track listing as follws

Side One

I cant make it on my own

Shiftless,shady,jealous kinda people

Let me be the other woman

Back in my arms again

Side Two.

Never too late

Cold Fire

When your down

Last mistake

Ps I have just played the ICMIOMO from this Lp and it does have a little more too it as i can remember..Lp aint that hard to locate,she does have some other Lps out but none as good as the above...I think the label is from San Fran Sisco!! I wonder if the Label is the same label that Gene Toones recorded on!! Graham

Social source share

Simco Records KGB 824 Vessie Simmons On my own Lp...Loads of covers to be had on the Lp even a bit of Motown...The Track you mention last for 5:oo mins so dig out the 45 and check time. Sorry cant do sound file cant be arsed at this time..track listing as follws

Side One

I cant make it on my own

Shiftless,shady,jealous kinda people

Let me be the other woman

Back in my arms again

Side Two.

Never too late

Cold Fire

When your down

Last mistake

Ps I have just played the ICMIOMO from this Lp and it does have a little more too it as i can remember..Lp aint that hard to locate,she does have some other Lps out but none as good as the above...I think the label is from San Fran Sisco!! I wonder if the Label is the same label that Gene Toones recorded on!! Graham

Thanks,maybe someone can do a soundfile? Simco was Vessie's own label

Nice photo Tony

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Just noticed a Vessie Simmons album go on e bay for just over a tenner(cheap IMO)

I believe the album vers. of Make It on my own is Different from the 45 mix

Anybody got a sound file?.... of the album vers.

:ohmy:

THE LP VERSION IS DEFINATELY LONGER THAN THE 45. IT HAS A GREAT INSTRUMENTAL [sTRINGS AND THINGS] BREAK, WHICH ISNT ON THE 45. BRILLIANT SOULFULL DISCO, RIGHT UP MY STREET..I CAN EMAIL YOU OVER THE LP MIX [i DONT KNOW HOW TO UPLOAD ONTO REFOSOUL----------- INFO ANYONE?].

TO TONY ROUNCE, YES THERE ARE TWO LPS ON SIMCO. THE ONE WITH ICMIOMY IS GREAT,LOTS OF SUPER SLOW TRACKS TONE.........

LOVE AND KISSES, IVOR :lol:

Social source share

• 9 years later...

To update,  

I have an acetate of Shiftless Shady which is a different take .Intro  features a twangy guitar (sitar?),which also takes the place of the horns in the recording .

Have to thank Trev (Tricky) for the nudge to check it ... ✔

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Indeed you are right Chris.

As I have written in my ongoing Volume 2 of Spinning Around: The History Of The Soul LP (which will be published in March or April 2018):

" I don't have On My Own which features“I Can't Make It On My Own”, a sprightly and invigorating side that also came out as a 45. Discogs puts the LP as 1970 but that is unquestionably incorrect. Firstly, the single is aurally obviously some years later than that, and second, the album includes a version of “Shifty, Shady, Jealous Kind Of People” and The O'Jays didn't cut that until 1972."

Best

John

Social source share

3 minutes ago, johndelve said:

Indeed you are right Chris.

As I have written in my ongoing Volume 2 of Spinning Around: The History Of The Soul LP (which will be published in March or April 2018):

" I don't have On My Own which features“I Can't Make It On My Own”, a sprightly and invigorating side that also came out as a 45. Discogs puts the LP as 1970 but that is unquestionably incorrect. Firstly, the single is aurally obviously some years later than that, and second, the album includes a version of “Shifty, Shady, Jealous Kind Of People” and The O'Jays didn't cut that until 1972."

Best

John

Thanks John, very odd - wonder where they got that from

Social source share

On Friday, June 09, 2017 at 09:40, mecca74 said:

To update,  

I have an acetate of Shiftless Shady which is a different take .Intro  features a twangy guitar (sitar?),which also takes the place of the horns in the recording .

Have to thank Trev (Tricky) for the nudge to check it ... ✔

The sitar thing was all the rage when released and on many invictus records

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert