"going Once? Going Twice?"

please, no one be offended.

Are John Manships Auction prices the new price guide?[/b]

On two occasions over the last 2 months Ive had a pop at a couple of tunes on Johns website, imo they both went for a price that exceeded my value, if i'm honest my bids exceeded my value.

Didn't win either of them, no problem as imo a rare record on an auction is going to fetch what one individual is prepared to pay ie "a record is worth as much as YOU want to pay for it.

Now auctions are open to abuse, blokes selling asking mates to bid to bump the price up etc however when two blokes or lasses(sorry) go head to head and have cash to burn and WANT it then prices do and will contine to go through the roof, thats the beauty of an auction.

There have been too many occasions where records that have a universal value give or take £50 have fetched double in some cases more due to two indviduals 'having a go' so why should those that are selling use Johns final auction price the NEW PRICE for said vinyl...

ie Paul I have XYZ and if you offer me Johns auction price -15% you can have it, can we stop offer prices on soul source, name your price and be damned.

I

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

please, no one be offended.

Are John Manships Auction prices the new price guide?[/b]

On two occasions over the last 2 months Ive had a pop at a couple of tunes on Johns website, imo they both went for a price that exceeded my value, if i'm honest my bids exceeded my value.

Didn't win either of them, no problem as imo a rare record on an auction is going to fetch what one individual is prepared to pay ie "a record is worth as much as YOU want to pay for it.

Now auctions are open to abuse, blokes selling asking mates to bid to bump the price up etc however when two blokes or lasses(sorry) go head to head and have cash to burn and WANT it then prices do and will contine to go through the roof, thats the beauty of an auction.

There have been too many occasions where records that have a universal value give or take £50 have fetched double in some cases more due to two indviduals 'having a go' so why should those that are selling use Johns final auction price the NEW PRICE for said vinyl...

ie Paul I have XYZ and if you offer me Johns auction price -15% you can have it, can we stop offer prices on soul source, name your price and be damned.

I

PAUL Like you say mate, each to is own, you only pay the price you feel is worth it to you.. and the sellers takin the piss, then dont use um.. martyn

Social source share

JM's prices, both in auctions & the price guide, are just that, a guide...........everyone I deal with in the UK is more than aware that John can get more for a record than most & i have never come across anyone asking Johns finishing prices for the same items personally.

I do think that on certain discs in Johns auctions, people are just plain lazy & with a little effort could get them cheaper else where, altho' not all. There was a disc recently in auction & at the same time on ebay, same disc in similar condition ended at half the finishing price of JM.........it was not listed as Northern Soul, but with very little effort could have been tracked down. I think John provides a great service on the whole & there are records that do not normally hit the open market occasionally, its down to the individuals to decide what these discs are worth to them. I think what Paul is saying is that other dealers then try to get the same price & this is not always realistic in the real world...........I personally would avoid them if Im not happy with this situation. With certain discs tho, it may be the only opportunity you may ever have to own said disc so you bite the bullet & go for it, if you have the funds.

Another side of this is, people who pay well over the odds in ebay auctions, for discs that are readily available in the UK at reasonable set sale prices on websites in the UK........complete laziness.

Two records that have taken off recently down south & have now appeared on play lists in other parts of the country are both cheap records, that were available for well under fifty quid in the UK, so I think people should maybe do a little research & stop chasing the same records. I played a record at the 100 Club at the weekend that cost me ten quid last week.........at least half a dozen people enquired about it & the dance floor was rammed.

Russ

Social source share

JM's prices, both in auctions & the price guide, are just that, a guide...........everyone I deal with in the UK is more than aware that John can get more for a record than most & i have never come across anyone asking Johns finishing prices for the same items personally.

Then you need to look through more boxes Matey. :D

I do think that on certain discs in Johns auctions, people are just plain lazy & with a little effort could get them cheaper else where, altho' not all. There was a disc recently in auction & at the same time on ebay, same disc in similar condition ended at half the finishing price of JM.........it was not listed as Northern Soul, but with very little effort could have been tracked down. I think John provides a great service on the whole & there are records that do not normally hit the open market occasionally, its down to the individuals to decide what these discs are worth to them. I think what Paul is saying is that other dealers then try to get the same price & this is not always realistic in the real world...........

It's not just 'dealers' though it seems many of the average Joe collector/sellers now quote the latest auction prices as a start point. I ony have to hear the "it went on (insert whatever) last week for blah blah blah" and that's the end of my interest in anything the guy has in his sales box.

Of course many of the folks ("DJs") who constantly buy from auctions then have to try and recoup their 'investment' when they move stuff on from their 'hotboxes'. Another reason I avoid certain sellers. They paid too much in the first place! :lol:

Russ

Social source share

I do think that on certain discs in Johns auctions, people are just plain lazy & with a little effort could get them cheaper else where, altho' not all. There was a disc recently in auction & at the same time on ebay, same disc in similar condition ended at half the finishing price of JM.........it was not listed as Northern Soul, but with very little effort could have been tracked down. I think John provides a great service on the whole & there are records that do not normally hit the open market occasionally, its down to the individuals to decide what these discs are worth to them. I think what Paul is saying is that other dealers then try to get the same price & this is not always realistic in the real world...........I personally would avoid them if Im not happy with this situation. With certain discs tho, it may be the only opportunity you may ever have to own said disc so you bite the bullet & go for it, if you have the funds.

Another side of this is, people who pay well over the odds in ebay auctions, for discs that are readily available in the UK at reasonable set sale prices on websites in the UK........complete laziness.

Two records that have taken off recently down south & have now appeared on play lists in other parts of the country are both cheap records, that were available for well under fifty quid in the UK, so I think people should maybe do a little research & stop chasing the same records. I played a record at the 100 Club at the weekend that cost me ten quid last week.........at least half a dozen people enquired about it & the dance floor was rammed.

Russ

oh oh so the snake is going big again russ, :D:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Social source share

Can't blame 'em for trying... Those people 'll have to lower their prices sooner or later if they want to actually sell their records. I think most NS vinyl buyers know how to 'read' Manny's prices and I for one rarely pay more for a record than what I think is a fair price.

Social source share

Im with Dave on this. Many a time I've had a few quid to spend and began to look through a box. No prices on sleeves and I walk away. First scratched up knackered 45 I see with Mint price IMO I walk away. Maybe a bit drastic but if you go to buy something you want to see the price, and not waste your own or the seller's time.

Whilst selling myself I've witnessed hours of haggling resulting in no sale. I guess some people do like to do it that way as it passes the time and you get to meet people you might not otherwise.

ROD

Social source share

Im with Dave on this. Many a time I've had a few quid to spend and began to look through a box. No prices on sleeves and I walk away. First scratched up knackered 45 I see with Mint price IMO I walk away. Maybe a bit drastic but if you go to buy something you want to see the price, and not waste your own or the seller's time.

Whilst selling myself I've witnessed hours of haggling resulting in no sale. I guess some people do like to do it that way as it passes the time and you get to meet people you might not otherwise.

ROD

a.k.a. priced to keep :thumbsup:

Social source share

ROD

This seems to be quite a common thing these days (no prices on sleeves) - can't understand it really unless the records are really rare and would normally be auctioned. Don't see the point of not pricing a record that everyone knows the rough price of.

I think the problem is that some people fill out sales boxes with records that they don't want to sell but think they will make their box's contents look better quality. A similar thing with buyers is people will look through boxes and even haggle when they have no intention of buying records but just want to be seen doing so. At the last prestatyn I went to (2003?) some guy went through my sales box (200) whilst talking to (and looking at) his mate :P - just wasting both our time.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert