Funked Up Souled Out - Hertford - 5 June

Steve, one of the guys who runs Funked Up, Souled Out! kindly asked me to do a set so I was most happy to oblige.

After parking I strolled along to Bar 11, a nice modern bar in Hertford. Steve spotted me when I walked in, probably looking around for someone I knew.

He took me to the record booth with the decks, introduced me to the other guys. My set was from 9.30 to 10.00pm.

Jimmy, the guy on before me played a nice mix including Help Me by Sonny Boy Williamson, a classy bit of Chicago R&B. Also some Motown.

Then it was my turn, and no real problems with the decks, I always feel a bit nervous, but things went okay. As I had been there before I knew what to play, Northern and 60s. My playlist was a follows:

Dreamlovers - You gave me somebody to love - Warner Bros

Sugar & Spices - Have faith in me - Kent

Charlie Rich - Don't tear me down - Kent

Shirley Ellis - Soul time - Columbia

Tyrone Davis - What if a man - Stateside

Continental Four - The way I love you - Jay Walking

Garnet Mimms - Prove it to me - United Artists

Jackie Ross - Jerk and twine - Chess

Jerry Butler & Betty Everett - Ain't that loving you baby - Stateside

Ike & Tina Turner - Finger Poppin' - Warner Bros

Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back - FIP

Deon Jackson - Ooh baby - Carla

Miracles - What's so good about goodbye - Tamla

I played the Jackie Ross, Jerry Butler & Betty Everett and Ike & Tina for Lewis, a young chap who's a Mod and a member of a Yahoo group I belong to, thought he'd like some early Mod sounds.

Then it was time to relax with a drink (non alcoholic because of driving) and listen to others doing the work. More nice music played.

At 11.00pm I was invited to double deck with Steve, as the bar manager wanted to close earlier than scheduled. I haven't done much double decking but it went well. I played the following:

Jackie Wilson - Baby workout - Coral

Five Stairsteps & Cubie - Stay close to me - Curtom

Embers - It ain't necessary - Bell

O'Jays - Looky looky - Neptune

Barbara Lynn - Take your love and run - Atlantic

At 11.30 one of the other regulars took over, think it was Dave. I decided it was time to hit the road, I was driving to John Stubbs' house in the morning, so needed to get some sleep.

It was very good of the guys to let me DJ there, thanks very much, I really enjoyed it.

• Replies 1
  • Views 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Source Advert