Chess/checker 45 Repros Or Originals Help

Guest souldaddy

Guest souldaddy

hello friends

today i purchased from a local shop 2 sonny by williamson 45s on checker, and a jimmie rogers 45 on chess...paid steep for them because they are in near mint shape...looking at them tonight, i have become skeptical as to whether they are original or not. i know these are blues records and we deal with northern here, but can anyone guide me along to finding out if they may be repros or boots?

"don't start me talkin'" / "all my love in vain" sonny boy williamson, checker 824 (deadwax) 45-7891 4))

"keep it to yourself" / "the key" s.b. williamson, checker 847 (deadwax) 45-8205 4))

"you're the one" / " blues all day long" jimmie rogers and his rocking four, chess (deadwax) chess 45-7591 4))

no other marks in dead wax of any of them...

please help!

cheers

brian

Edited by souldaddy
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hello friends

today i purchased from a local shop 2 sonny by williamson 45s on checker, and a jimmie rogers 45 on chess...paid steep for them because they are in near mint shape...looking at them tonight, i have become skeptical as to whether they are original or not. i know these are blues records and we deal with northern here, but can anyone guide me along to finding out if they may be repros or boots?

"don't start me talkin'" / "all my love in vain" sonny boy williamson, checker 824 (deadwax) 45-7891 4))

"keep it to yourself" / "the key" s.b. williamson, checker 847 (deadwax) 45-8205 4))

"you're the one" / " blues all day long" jimmie rogers and his rocking four, chess (deadwax) chess 45-7591 4))

no other marks in dead wax of any of them...

please help!

cheers

brian

I don't think these were bootlegged at all but Chess reissued many of its titles many different times on many different label versions. what style of chess label (e.g. color, design, etc) is on each one?

Social source share

Guest souldaddy

I don't think these were bootlegged at all but Chess reissued many of its titles many different times on many different label versions. what style of chess label (e.g. color, design, etc) is on each one?

hello

both the checkers are the maroon with silver letters and checker board at top

the chess is that with silver top half with blue writing and 2 chess pieces, and bottom half a blue background in silver writing.

some further research thru ebay last night has me thinking these are 70s repros...

totally appreciate your ideas and help!

Social source share

Guest Mr T L C

hello

both the checkers are the maroon with silver letters and checker board at top

the chess is that with silver top half with blue writing and 2 chess pieces, and bottom half a blue background in silver writing.

some further research thru ebay last night has me thinking these are 70s repros...

totally appreciate your ideas and help!

Well, it sure sounds like the label designs are right for these issues! I take it that you by "checker board at top" mean the web top design. Those dead wax etchings could also very well be correct. When comparing the dead wax etchings to my copy of Checker 867 it is pretty similar. 45-7968 4, but with an additional beta number. What makes you think they are repros or boots? How thick is the vinyl? How narrow is the trail in? How is the indentation on the label? It´s hard to tell without seeing it...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert