Vintage Soul Radio Show...milestone

Hi all,

The 'Vintage Soul Radio Show' reaches 250.

250 Shows....a milestone.....Sunday 19th October 2008.

How did that happen in this fast changing world....

Where do I start with thanks and reasons.....

Maybe the radio station first....I was asked 10 years ago if I was interested

in doing a show. Since then they have never told me what to play...a plus for any DJ.

I suppose if they had..then I would have left. So..it's a two sided coin.

Thanks go to many...too many to mention..who have helped, enthused, suggested,given, or just listened.

To those who have listened for most of the 10 years...many thanks for sticking with me.

There are others who joined later and sent emails wishing they had found the show earlier...

also the listeners who say they listen...and the 'silent' ones (come out of the closet).

Through the show there has been some wonderful side moments....

Ernie Shelby contacting me..saying he had heard 'Bend Over Backwards'...on the show...

The son of James Phelps on seeing a playlist...asking what I thought of James...

on hearing a resounding 'Great Singer'..he answered...that's my dad....

and I got to know and interview James.

Another listener contacted me that he had 'jammed' with Phillip Mitchell...which meant another interview...and the rest is history.

Paul Kelly's brother hearing the show..and sending me an email...we 'found' Paul Kelly again...

all wonderful moments.

When I started..I decided to try never to repeat any track... of course I have...and Show 250 will include some favourites....but 95% of the playlists are 'firsts' for the show.

About 5 years ago...even though my collection was large...I thought I would never keep it up. Forget it...due to wonderful releases and CD's from friends...the 95% will be kept for the next 10 years.

To anyone who has sent me 'rarities'...many thanks. Playing unknown..unissued..lost material always gives me a real buzz.

A couple of memories...Annette Snell's 'Promises'..sent to me by a Japanese collector...

Dan Penn's demo..courtesy of Rodney Hall...

The 250th show has another..thanks to Jimmy Radcliffe's son Chris.

May it never end.....this generosity.

A source of information have been some magazines..'The Beat'...'Juke Blues'..and of course 'In The Basement'...if I needed label/year..David Cole has been a constant help...

The basic format of the show has varied little..if it's not broke..don't mend it.

The Deep Soul Cellar winds the show down..Gospel Corner was a'new venture' about 5 years ago..

and the inclusion of even more wonderful gospel is down to some friends and contacts...

you know who you are.

I've been in 'show business' long enough...but 5 minutes before I do a show...I still get butterflies...but then I think..everything is organised...you know what you are doing...if you worry a little..then it means something to you.

Every show I have done has been LIVE. Should I have been away

(on tour with Phillip Mitchell, William Bell) then no show went out.

NOBODY (except my mum) has been with me in the studio....an absolute Taboo after a lady reporter never stopped chatting in the early days. My preparation...I turn the lights off..blinds down(even in summer)..headset on..and I am in a little world of my own..knowing out there is someone loving the track I am playing. An hour's show means careful planning. The playlist is played about 20 times running up to show day..to get a feel....and 60 minutes with an average 18 tracks...means no time to stutter and search. Those with 3 hour shows can take a bag of CD's into a studio..and spontaneously choose..although I would probably still use my system if I had a 5 hour show....

I did an interview a few days ago for a newspaper..to celebrate the milestone...after 30 minutes the reporter was staring at me...and when I asked why...the answer was 'You're Infectious'...at 62 years of age? What he meant was..that I love this music of ours...and it is catching when you talk to me!

If this rant gets you listening in the future...welcome...and I promise to rant again after 500 shows.

A repeated thanks for all the help, enthusiam and generosity. Collecting Soul Music is an endless hobby...being able to play it on Radio...is heaven on earth..believe me...

Regards

Barry

Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source