Da' Soul Recordings Presents Gary Brown

CDBABY GARY BROWN, JOURNEY garybrown.jpg

GARY BROWN: - Journey

(US Da'Soul Recordings, 2004)

How Do I Feel (Intro) - For You - In Love - Make Me Your Lover - Love Hurts Sometimes - Come To Me - How Do I Feel (Interlude) - If You Wanna - So Into You - Can't Turn Away - What Can I Do - One Time - Be Alright - How Do I Feel (Outro)

Firstly, 2 things to mention. Firstly, just to say that this is NOT the same Gary Brown of "Somebody's Been Sleeping In My Bed" fame and, secondly, to say that Da'Soul Records is a new label to watch out for. This is a small label with big ideas and a wealth of talent signed up for release. This release is a real pleasure from start to finish, bar the odd track, and I really dig the ballads which allow Gary to entertain us with his soulful vocals which are more akin to classy 80s soul solo singers than today's hip-hop orientated world.

Whilst flicking through the new releases on CD Baby I came across this and hooked into "For You". Within 30 seconds I thought "yes, this is what I'm looking for!" An irresistible melody, a quirky bassline and fine, smooth and soulful vocals are the order of the day and paves the way for other superb efforts such as "Make Me Your Lover" with a great mid 80s indie feel and catchy keyboard hook. Again, great vocals from Gary. Following in this tradition is the downtempo "Love Hurts Sometimes" which is completely and utterly charming. I particularly like the arrangements within "Come Do Me" where the quirky beats neatly express the anticipation of some serious bedroom action with the object of his affection. You go for it, old chap! Fill your boots! You've got the right idea.

And there is the tasty interludes, three in all, called "How Do I Feel". These are very nice indeed. From the blatant hormonal thrusts of the aforementioned song the mood slips into a lower gear with the more sensitive "So Into You" and the jazzy groove of "Can't Turn Away". "One Time" is another favourite - this has a Kevin McCord kind of vibe. I can almost see the silver "Chance" label going around as I listen to this. Very nice indeed.

My personal tastes more favour the ballads on here, but do not overlook the dancers, the best for my particular taste being the unashamedly 80s "Be Alright". Keep an eye on this label. I will be highlighting the Chazz Dixon CD soon as that is another very fine recording.

- Barry Towler

SOUL EXPRESS ONLINE

SOUL EXPRESS ONLINE

Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!