Universally Accepted Stuff

Guest Dan

Guest Dan

the gwenn douglass thread (where i have to accept i'm on the losing side!) got me thinking: are there any records that would unite ALL of us?

pyramid came close a week or two back though some aren't keen.

gareth's emperor's new clothes thread revealed that even things like the magnetics on bonnie aren't universally accepted.

when you factor in oldies v newies, 60s v 70s (and newer), r&b/r&r...very hard to satisfy everyone even when you're as open-minded as we are as a group.

so: what track does it for everyone?

how about:

the hytones - you don't even know my name - southern artists??

Social source share

• Replies 101
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

We already did this about 2 months ago, the thread went on over about 4 pages, started by Dayo I think. As ever, there was always someone who didn't like a particular record.

Like, I don't like The Hytones so that's that one out of the game :wicked:

So I'll go for an instrumental

BARI TRACK

Social source share

Guest the dukester

[so: what track does it for everyone?

Surely Gladys cant fail with NO ONE COULD LOVE YOU MORE :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Dan

We already did this about 2 months ago, the thread went on over about 4 pages, started by Dayo I think.  As ever, there was always someone who didn't like a particular record.

Like, I don't like The Hytones so that's that one out of the game  :wicked:

So I'll go for an instrumental

BARI TRACK

link

yeah you're right pete

just found the old thread

duff topic then, soz folks

but isn't taste a fascinating thing?

Social source share

Guest rachel

[so: what track does it for everyone?

Surely Gladys cant fail with NO ONE COULD LOVE YOU MORE :wicked:

link

Great intro, then it all goes wrong :shades:

Social source share

Guest Keep the Boy Happy

the gwenn douglass thread (where i have to accept i'm on the losing side!) got me thinking: are there any records that would unite ALL of us?

pyramid came close a week or two back though some aren't keen.

gareth's emperor's new clothes thread revealed that even things like the magnetics on bonnie aren't universally accepted.

when you factor in oldies v newies, 60s v 70s (and newer), r&b/r&r...very hard to satisfy everyone even when you're as open-minded as we are as a group.

so: what track does it for everyone?

how about:

the hytones - you don't even know my name - southern artists??

link

Isn't one of the attractions of this scene the fact that there is no such animal. If we all agreed on the same things there probably wouldn't be a scene by now.

Social source share

Guest Dan

Isn't one of the attractions of this scene the fact that there is no such animal. If we all agreed on the same things there probably wouldn't be a scene by now.

link

very fair point

Social source share

Guest Baz

I hate that  :thumbsup:

link

your a hard man to please mr smith :D:D

what about frank wilson ok i know coats on the rack i'll get it

Social source share

your a hard man to please mr smith :thumbsup:   :D

what about frank wilson  ok i know coats on the rack i'll get it

link

No good mentioning Frank Wilson because someone trying to be clever will say it's rubbish.

What about

George Blackwell - Can't lose my head

Robert Parker - Caught you in a lie

Inspirations - No one else can take your place

Bobby Hutton - Come see what's left of me

Dynamics - I need your love

Tim Tam - Wait a minute

Social source share

I thought about this one Pete, first one that sprang to my mind.

What about Al Kent-The way you've been acting lately? Not my favourite i must admit but i like it and most people i know "like it".

Social source share

dont like al kent never have and never will

goeorge blackwell could be a contender i rekscon

link

Well Als not the one :thumbsup:

Agree on george Blackwell though.

Edited by Gary
Social source share

I like that.

Bored of it by 1975 though.

link

=======

Think somebody said, we'll never all be united on any one record :-) What about Mull of Kintyre? Nice mid-tempo sort of sound, with a classic bag-pipe instrumental break, ideal for sword dancing.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

I thought about this one Pete, first one that sprang to my mind.

What about Al Kent-The way you've been acting lately? Not my favourite i must admit but i like it and most people i know "like it".

link

Fantastic record :thumbsup:

Social source share

=======

Think somebody said, we'll never all be united on any one record :-) What about Mull of Kintyre? Nice mid-tempo sort of sound, with a classic bag-pipe instrumental break, ideal for sword dancing.

Winnie:-)

link

When I used to work in an office there were about 10 of us in there and we all liked different sorts of music, like me with soul and reggae, someone was into heavy metal, couple of old dears into middle of the road music and so on, anyway we always used to take it in turns playing compilation tapes and we only ever agreed on one single record that all of us liked......

cruel to be kind by Nick Lowe :thumbsup:

Social source share

Coming from a modern perspective I would say The Constellations - Don't Know About You is very widely liked - and possibly Darrell Banks - Open The Door. Leaving aside the fact you may be bored of it !! One of the first northern I bought.

Girf

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Coming from a modern perspective I would say The Constellations - Don't Know About You is very widely liked - and possibly Darrell Banks - Open The Door. Leaving aside the fact you may be bored of it !! One of the first northern I bought.

Girf

link

B***OX TO BEING BORED WITH POSSIBLY THE 2 BEST TRAX MENTIONED YET, :thumbsup:

DUKESY'S MISSUS :D

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Got to be one I used in the old thread Spyder Turner " I Can't Make It Anymore"

RITA & THE TIARAS GONE WITH THE WIND

Social source share

Girf

link

No, never bored of Open The Door To Your Heart.

Constellations is very average though :thumbsup:

Social source share

J J Barnes 'Please Let Me In'  :D Until now I don't think I have heard anyone with a bad word to say about it. Sure someone on here will prove me wrong  :thumbsup:

link

Unbelievable record, I voted for it last time, got booed off :angry:

Social source share

Guest Dan

Unbelievable record, I voted for it last time, got booed off  :angry:

link

brilliant is right

great cheapie

'don't be sore at me' is in the same vein, what a ten pound sound

Social source share

It proves that rarety doesn't really matter with "Please let Me In", "Don't Be Sore At Me" and "I Can't Make It Anymore" being amongst the favourites. The rarety of sounds was usefull in the old days to maintain the exclusivity of the scene and individual clubs within it. Nowadays the scene remains exclusive because it is almost like a large secret club with people either choosing to be into it or not. And there is now a huge list of good sounds discovered in the last 40 years, so there should be no reason to play substandard tracks just because they are rare.(or anything recorded after midnight on the 31 December 1969 eh Pete. :thumbsup: )

Paul

Social source share

Guest Dan

was going to say that i still like rarities being played because their rarity means you don't hear them very often

but then as you say paul there's so much stuff out there now that rarely gets played that it almost knocks that one on the head. for instance, i don't think, in 20 years of attending venues on and off i have ever heard 'don't be sore at me' played but i must have heard mel britt (and many other rare records) 1000 times

there is something nice about owning a rare record but it's got nowt to do with quality...just extra nice when the two coincide

Social source share

It proves that rarety doesn't really matter with "Please let Me In", "Don't Be Sore At Me" and "I Can't Make It Anymore" being amongst the favourites.  The rarety of sounds was usefull in the old days to maintain the exclusivity of the scene and individual clubs within it.  Nowadays the scene remains exclusive because it is almost like a large secret club with people either choosing to be into it or not.  And there is now a huge list of good sounds discovered in the last 40 years, so there should be no reason to play substandard tracks just because they are rare.(or anything recorded after midnight on the 31 December 1969 eh Pete. :thumbsup: )

Paul

link

I think the three tracks above are perhaps not rare because they sold quite well, locally at least, when first released. Perhaps some people would rebel against such tracks just because of this but never the less the quality wins through. Not sure any one plays 'substandard' sounds just because they are rare its just the view of what is 'substandard' varies a lot. I don't buy records I don't like (well not on purpose, some blind buys turn out to be awful tho) So if I play a record its because I believe in it. Surely this is the only approach to take. I'm also not sure people 'choose' to be into the scene. Once it's got yer there's no getting away. There must be 100's of better ways to spend £x and x hours a year, but because the scene has got me I can't think of a single one.

Social source share

Guest Baz

Girf

link

Darrel Banks open the door to you heart must be one of the all time top soul records IMO a timeless piece and will always fit in at any soul night/niter

Social source share

Guest Baz

Who's that in your avatar Baz

link

It's 'Eastenders' Jim Branning in fancy dress as 'Michael Caine'

WOOF!

link

:thumbsup::D:D

Social source share

It proves that rarety doesn't really matter with "Please let Me In", "Don't Be Sore At Me" and "I Can't Make It Anymore" being amongst the favourites.  The rarety of sounds was usefull in the old days to maintain the exclusivity of the scene and individual clubs within it.  Nowadays the scene remains exclusive because it is almost like a large secret club with people either choosing to be into it or not.  And there is now a huge list of good sounds discovered in the last 40 years, so there should be no reason to play substandard tracks just because they are rare.(or anything recorded after midnight on the 31 December 1969 eh Pete. :thumbsup: )

Paul

link

Not forgetting Seven Souls - which is 'money' to be fair. Don't know anyone who doesn't like it (including Pete).

BTW, take it that's your scooter in the avatar? Was trying to work out what it was 200 forks, SX mudguard LI headlight. Is it a Special or a highbrid?

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

I don't like the Hytones, it's a bit cheesy and laid back and very much a 'show tune' to my ears, not very soulful I think. I have noted that some records that pretty much everyone like are the quality classics, authentic soul records that are also proper tunes, like "Open The Door To Your Heart" (by Darrell Banks of course). If you don't like that you don't like soul, period. Same goes for JJ Barnes "Please Let Me In". Many others like this and some of the better classic soulful 60's Detroit (and elsewhere) tunes seem universally liked. Constellations has instant appeal but it doesn't last in the long run, it becomes boring when you have heard it 50 times or more, still a good record but nowhere near Darrell Banks. In short, genuinely good traditional SOUL records appeals to most within most factions even if their favourite music may be something else.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert