Maxine Brown -let Me Give You My Loving

Am I getting old?

A pal of mine sent me an mp3 recently of Maxine Brown's Let me give you my loving. I first heard it on Mr. Levine's disco demand comp LP yonks ago - loved it to death. Trouble is, the mp3 I've got sounds different to how I recall the track on the album - mp3 seems to have a bigger backbeat?

Is my memory playing tricks, or were there two versions or mixes?

If there was only one then I'm certainly sueing Smith, Kline and French!

Thanks all

Colin

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The version of the track used on the first Maxine Brown album released by Kent in about '84 is rather different from the 45. This could be the source of your MP3.

A totally fantastic tune, whatever the version. 100% class, and a record which, if re-activated, could be bigger than it ever was in the 1970s.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The version of the track used on the first Maxine Brown album released by Kent in about '84 is rather different from the 45. This could be the source of your MP3.

A totally fantastic tune, whatever the version. 100% class, and a record which, if re-activated, could be bigger than it ever was in the 1970s.

link

Budgie played it at Staffstock last week, dedicated to me and our lass :) it always sounds good to me can't say as i've ever noticed different versions though :lol:

Trouty

Social source share

link

Of course thanks also has to go to Randy Cozens for being such a fan of Maxine's so we could listen to her.

This has always been one of my favourites of Maxine's and I believe is underplayed and underated.

After seeing her at the rehearsals with Randy in 2003, she can sing belt up those tunes!

Social source share

Guest rachel

Would love to hear the different versions if anyone has a chance to do mp3s. Play this out occasionally, lovely tune.

Social source share

This is the version my friend sent me. If my ears are correct, the intro is quite different to the version Ian Levine used on the Disco Demand LP. Does anyone have an mp3 of that one? I think it's a tad sweeter.

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Budgie played it at Staffstock last week, dedicated to me and our lass :( it always sounds good to me can't say as i've ever noticed different versions though  :)

Trouty

link

Funnily enough, it got spun at Exeter last Saturday as well, causing lots of murmurs of approval in the bar, and a full dance floor as well. The revival is on :lol:

Jerry.

Social source share

Funnily enough, it got spun at Exeter last Saturday as well, causing lots of murmurs of approval in the bar, and a full dance floor as well. The revival is on :lol:

Jerry.

link

Hippo - I don't recall it was ever what we used to call a "big sound", do you? I certainly never heard it before the Pye compilation came out and I don't think it ever had it's moment in the sun - agree?

Social source share

Hippo - I don't recall it was ever what we used to call a "big sound", do you?  I certainly never heard it before the Pye compilation came out and I don't think it ever had it's moment in the sun - agree?

link

Probably that compilation brought it to most peoples notice Colin, I think (from memory) that Ian L had played it at the Mecca but in those heady times it was possibly a little too - ummm - sophisticated for some with its tempo changes and floaty bits (every home should have some!). But as a mate of mine from Bolton rightly says "tha' can't put a price on quality - and quality tunes last!"

Jerry.

Social source share

Probably that compilation brought it to most peoples notice Colin, I think (from memory) that Ian L had played it at the Mecca but in those heady times it was possibly a little too - ummm - sophisticated for some with its tempo changes and floaty bits (every home should have some!). But as a mate of mine from Bolton rightly says "tha' can't put a price on quality - and quality tunes last!"

Jerry.

link

Agree Jerry. Heady times indeed, and with so many sounds coming through on an almost daily basis, it was all too easy for things like this to escape the radar. What a superb compilation that was for it's day. Levine should be applauded; could have played it safe but chose not to.

Social source share

Hippo - I don't recall it was ever what we used to call a "big sound", do you? I certainly never heard it before the Pye compilation came out and I don't think it ever had it's moment in the sun - agree?

It has been a major record in London, intitially through Randy's championing of Maxine, for more than twenty years now. It's a guaranteed floorfiller any time you play it so we have to use it sparingly and at the right moment.

Social source share

Superlatives are always in short supply for MB, utter class.

I'm still recovering from hearing 'Torture' for the first time 20 years (?) ago, as a spotty 14 year old. Rarely a week goes by without one of Maxines' toons being spun at Elliott towers. That night at the big 100 in 97 was just a wonderful experience. How lucky we are to have music such as this.

Regards

Jim.

Social source share

It's just a Class track.........100% N/Soul, makes the hair's on your head stand on end ( well it would if I had any ).......Think I'll give it a spin at Ponds Forge next Week......Or I might play "One in a Million",.......Decisions, decisions.

Social source share

This is the first time I have heard a guitar in the intro. This seems to be different from the Kent LP and the Soul Galore version. Were they both the same? Haven't knowingly heard either for at leat ten years. The guitar is very nice.

link

Pretty certain it's different to Soul Galore. The Soul Galore one as far as I can remember (not heard it for some 15 years) is the same as single release but no strings?????? Can someone verify?

The info I have on this one is it's just an unreleased version.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Pretty certain it's different to Soul Galore.  The Soul Galore one as far as I can remember (not heard it for some 15 years) is the same as single release but no strings??????  Can someone verify?

The info I have on this one is it's just an unreleased version.

link

I'm sure the Kent LP version is still different, backing singing differs a tad, Maxine slightly changes words (Instead of It's alright - It's alright on the the kent version she says its alright, it's ok)

I never tire of hearing any version which says a lot as I have the attention span of a nat

Social source share

This is the version my friend sent me.  If my ears are correct, the intro is quite different to the version Ian Levine used on the Disco Demand LP.  Does anyone have an mp3 of that one?  I think it's a tad sweeter.

link

Dayo - is this the Wand 45 issue or an LP cut? I actually prefer it now to the Tony Hatch version..

Excellent track :thumbsup:

Social source share

THIS IS WHERE I AM SO LUCKY

ON MAXINES FIRST VISIT TO CLEETHORPES,I HEARD THE ONLY ACCAPELLO VERSION,FROM THE BACK OF A VOLVO V70 WHILST TRAVELLING FROM HER SUITE AT A PLACE NEAR THE HUMBER BRIDGE ,TO THE BEACHOLME IN CLEETHORPES A JOURNEY OF NEARLY 45 MINS

SUCH BEAUTY SUCH A LUCKY B WAS I

DOUG

Social source share

Dayo - is this the Wand 45 issue or an LP cut? I actually prefer it now to the Tony Hatch version..

Excellent track  :thumbsup:

link

That's what I'm trying to establish!

And regarding my comment that it was never a "big" sound, yes of course it was, but my contention is that it was seldom played before the Levine compilation and never achieved wide acceptance during the so called heyday of N Soul.

Social source share

That's what I'm trying to establish!

And regarding my comment that it was never a "big" sound, yes of course it was, but my contention is that it was seldom played before the Levine compilation and never achieved wide acceptance during the so called heyday of N Soul.

link

Sorry Im not being horrible, but as I said before, if it wasnt for Randy, Maxine's music would never have been known as much as it is! No disrespect to others, but I find it upsetting to keep hearing about others getting the credit for this. Randy might not have set up record companies, etc., but if it wasnt for him, a lot of records might not have come to light - he done so much for the scene without making any money from it! Bobby Hutton - Lend a Hand plus many, many more, hopefully Ady C will comment on this please.

Social source share

Guest rachel

I still get goosebumps when I hear "Torture" in conjunction with Uncle Ady's sleeve notes (about discovering it) on the Kent album - probably not as many goosebumps as Ady must have got when HE heard it for the first time though!

Jerry.

link

Such an incredible unique voice and what a song (the one that got me into all this in the first place), don't hear it out much... in fact I've only heard it out four times in the last few years (and three of them when I was playing it!).. actually don't hear that many Maxine tracks at all, though I've never come across anyone who dislikes her [cue person who can't stand her :thumbsup: ]....

Edited by rachel
Social source share

If Ady sees this; is there anything you can add to the sleeve notes re hearing Torture for the very first time?

I'm sure we'd all forgive you for showboating a little! Must have been a sublime moment...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert