'live' Soul In West London. 'northern Soul 2009'

On Monday 21st Sept, myself and my partner who is a a black girl of West Indian background and who loves her Disco-Soul and funk, attended the launch party of a certain album that has been the cause of much bitter debate and personal bile on this site recently. I do not intend to comment on any of that or the personalities, motives, agendas or behaviour of the protagonists. The reason I attended was because as a serious fan of Black Music for around 40 years, I wanted to assess the viewpoints and perspectives of the actual Black Artists involved with this project and to make a rational judgement with my own ears and eyes as regards their feelings/involvement.

As a Soul fan, I feel that this is the single most important aspect regarding this subject. Sadly, it has been something that the high level of emotion surrounding the topic has managed to obscure.

Let me make it absolutely clear right now that the principles outlined above are the SINGLE reason I attended and this post is of my own conception. I am not fighting anybody's battles and I most certainly am not a Puppet. Not by a long shot. Due to the sensitivities of the subject, any negative or deliberately confrontational responses will recieve a 'no comment' response so perhaps they are pointless. It would be nice to imagine that people could respond rationally and in a civil manner, whatever their view, particularly in regard and RESPECT to the aforementioned Artists.

The launch party for 'Northern Soul 2009' took place at The Cobden Club which sits right underneath the famous Trelleck Towers in West London. We did not get there until 9 pm, so we missed a few acts including STEVE BROOKSTEIN (The X-factor winner 'Steve' just in case anybody does not realise), who apparently had performed his track earlier in the evening. Once inside and suitably armed with alcohol, we took up a position amongst the 150 or so people and watched the show.

I have to say it was a pleasant evening and one lacking in the hyperbole some people might have expected. It is fair to say that certain speeches were delivered with an air of relative humility and there was most certainly not an ounce of spite or negative reflection on display. There was certainly a tangible sense of good spirit amongst the Artists involved who had turned out in force to perform their tracks. The truth is, we were treated to some decent 'Live' Soul performances - which taken in their individual context - would have to elicit applause from anybody with a true love for this type of vocal style. For me, the stand outs were British Soul Musical Virtuso NAT AUGUSTIN, (Former lead singer of LIGHT OF THE WORLD) doing his track 'Stand in the rain', LYNN GERRARD who delivered a very soulful and emotive rendition of 'Gurantee of a lifetime', THE FLIRTATIONS, simply for their terrific vocal harmonies and PETER LAMARR, who not only performed a track from the album but gave an impromptu acapella performance of improvised vocal tribute to the late CLIVE SCOTT.

Whatever people's perceptions, nobody could have listened to that performance without realising they were listening to a genuine quality Soul Singer. LAMARR'S track 'Holding my heart in your hands' was probably the best performance of the evening for me, a nice midtempo groove and a blinding 'live' vocal performance. If this record had been produced by some unknown British Producer, I am afraid I have to admit I believe 99 per cent of people on this site would have no problem with it. Which is sad, but that is the way history has unfolded. Hearing the guy do it 'live' actually enforced the genuine 'soul' credentials at play and it would have been hard for any Soul fan to say anything but - if they'd witnessed it, that is.

As far as the artists concerned, they all seemed very happy to be involved and, on speaking to some of them afterwards, they did appear genuinely grateful for the platform these projects give them, which is perhaps something that needs to be fully acknowledged. When the storm rages about the Production aspects, when people focus on personalities and ego's involved, the very heart of the matter does constantly appear to be sidelined. The Artists concerned here are bona-fide Black Soul Singers, many of whom would not be cutting records currently, were it not for the work undertaken in projects like this. That fact , for me personally, is enough to ensure that all other elements fade into irrelevance.

These might not be the greatest Soul records of all time in your book, but they are the work of genuine US and UK Black Artists that still struggle for commercial success and recognition. The most relevant line from the stage came when somebody pointed out the sheer injustice of the level of vocal talent on display here , as opposed to the continuing crap that gets force fed to the nation via supposed 'Talent' shows. There are undoubtedly Artists involved here who could be big stars if they were given the chance and promotion but even in 2009, the opportunities for Soul singers still remain limited.

It would be fantastic if more of the UK's Record Producers decided to tap into the rich vein of Soul vocal talent that still exists. Whilst people chase easy bucks with One-riff Drum and bass dirges, petulant indy posturing and meaningless boy band drivel, the tradition of Soul vocalisation - as inspired originally by Black Gospel, continues to exist in a seemingly defiant cultural sidestreet. Nobody is going to get rich off this project or other projects like it, thats for sure with current market trends. But at the end of the day, people who condemn them need to remember one thing.

The most important people as regards Soul Music, are not DJ's. They are not record dealers, collectors, or promoters. They are not even Record Producers or Company Moguls. The most important people when it comes to Soul Music are the Artists themselves. Especially those who belong to the here and now, the ones who are still alive and still trying to bring their musical gift to others, in a way that no other form of 'popular' vocalisation can emotionally match.

Ultimately these Artists - in one way or another - deserve the moral support of Soul fans and I personally am not in the slightest bit interested in the petty squabbling and bitching that surrounds their work.

For that reason, I am glad my girl and me bothered to venture across to West London on a bloody Monday night. It's easy to 'keep the faith' when you shell out a oner for a classic Northern record from 1967 that you've adored for thirty years. But the truth is that it's a personal indulgence and does little or nothing to ensure that todays Soul Artists feel valued and cherished. In it's own particular way, if I have to be completely honest, I think this album actually does celebrate contemporary Soul talent and that is how it should be ultimately judged. For whatever failings it carries, it is a creative platform for Soul Singers and that is what actually matters most.

Everything else is a melodramatic sideshow.thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Good review Richard and I'm sure a lot of people agree with you, but as there's no controversy, there are no replies. Glad you had a good night out, I was in Mancland sorting out my lad as a student.

Thanks ADY. Manchester? Place was the ruination of my youth! Be careful, he might come back from there, obsessed with some weird All-night dance scene that we are not hip enough to know about yet!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert