Remember Roger Eagle

Guest kav

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Next Monday, May 4th, is the tenth anniversary of the passing of Roger Eagle.

Some of you might find this interesting ...

Memories, stories, interviews and music.

https://caughtbytheriver.net/2009/04/remember-roger-eagle/

Thanks,Kavel

I worked for Roger at Erics late '76 till '78, and when it came to choosing bands to play at the club he had a nose for talent like you wouldn't believe. And what a great boss, always on your side...I do remember he grabbed Billy Idol by the throat for swearing at one of the bar staff (Anne?). One of the nicest people I ever met in my life and if you look up "modest" in the dictionary you'll find Rogers picture. Incidentally, even though Erics was a punk/new wave club, the first record played every night was 'Heatwave". RIP Roger... a lovely lovely man.

Social source share

I worked for Roger at Erics late '76 till '78, and when it came to choosing bands to play at the club he had a nose for talent like you wouldn't believe. And what a great boss, always on your side...I do remember he grabbed Billy Idol by the throat for swearing at one of the bar staff (Anne?). One of the nicest people I ever met in my life and if you look up "modest" in the dictionary you'll find Rogers picture. Incidentally, even though Erics was a punk/new wave club, the first record played every night was 'Heatwave". RIP Roger... a lovely lovely man.

Thank you SO much for sharing that with us, I really mean that. Brilliant!!!

Social source share

Thank you Isis, lovely little story.

I hope a few people from here sign up for the download, I think it will be a nice collection.

Best,

Kavel

Social source share

Thank you Isis, lovely little story.

I hope a few people from here sign up for the download, I think it will be a nice collection.

Best,

Kavel

You just fill in the blank with your email address, right?

Hope so 'cos that's what I've done.

Social source share

You just fill in the blank with your email address, right?

Hope so 'cos that's what I've done.

Yes it's as simple as that!

Thanks Denbo.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

He was a smashing fella.

I did know him before Eric's, but not very well, and I only really got to know him better when Eric's was up and running and some of us used to travel up quite regularly from the South to see bands on Saturday night. I liked the way that he made the support come on after the main bands, so that people who had distances to travel could make their last buses, trains or whatever. In fact - and I wish I could remember which of the bands I saw at Eric's it was now (think it was probably Penetration) - I can remember him specifically telling one main band to go on about 15 minutes earlier than 'showtime' so that those of us who'd come up from London could get back to Lime Street in time for the night train to Euston.

Great bloke, with great taste, and it's a real shame that he had to pass before his time...

Social source share

Roger was probably the most influential DJ/promoter the North if not the whole UK has ever had.

From introducing R&B and soul fans to records they would never have heard otherwise, from the obscure mod sounds to future northern soul clasics.He established contacts with the Duke,Peacock,Backbeat labels so that the Twisted Wheel received all their new releases.

He was responsible for booking the fantastic acts that appeared there and left a legacy that is still relevent to this day.

After leaving he went on to DJ at the Blue Note and later a couple of other lesser known clubs.

In 1967 he opened the Magic Village the first "underground" club of its kind up north featuring progressive rock- blues etc where he booked all the up and coming future legends of rock.This was incidently previously a soul club The Jigsaw where I use to frequent and before that The Cavern a simular club to the Wheel.

He the went onto Liverpool where he was responsible for the best promotions and later setting up Erics again introducing the kids to all the best in new wave and being the major reason most of the Liverpool groups of 80's formed.

On returning to Manchester he again was resonsible for promoting the best in quality artists via The International and the International 2.

I personally have got so much to thank Roger for, a true legend a man who did it for the music and not the money.SIMPLY THE BEST

Brian Phillips

Social source share

Thanks for letting us know about this Kav , I've signed up for the download , although I'm a little too young to have attended The Wheel , I realise what an incredible influence he must have been on the early Soul scene , and indeed other scenes as well .Look forward to learning more about this legendary guy .Best,Eddie

Social source share

Proof that a man can live within two musical sphere's, champion them both and still gain respect from people that would normally knock a man for being open to anything other than a singular anorak movement .

I didn't know Roger but am well versed to his input.

Sir Freddie Viadukt, whom I am collaborating with at the moment regards putting his life down on the page, who I respect more than most said it all for me when at one point Sir Freddie (Gerry) dropped his 'avant'-guard for a moment and almost tearfully said:

"I miss Roger more than anyone - I miss him like a motherf*cker!"

Roger Eagle's legacy kind of blows all this 'You can only love NS and NS alone' shit out the water.

And for that alone I will always love him.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Roger was probably the most influential DJ/promoter the North if not the whole UK has ever had.

I think that Roger himself would have ceded to Guy Stevens on the 'most influential UK DJ ever' point, Brian, but otherwise I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

I'm really looking forward to the Hideaway's RE tribute night at the end of the month...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

I think that Roger himself would have ceded to Guy Stevens on the 'most influential UK DJ ever' point, Brian, but otherwise I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

I'm really looking forward to the Hideaway's RE tribute night at the end of the month...

Was wondering how and why you managed to get bookings arranged for this one.

Didn't realise myself that this one was going to be a Roger Eagle tribute night. Must pick up more flyers in future. :yes:

After our chat the other night, I wasn't expecting you back up until about July.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Was wondering how and why you managed to get bookings arranged for this one.

Didn't realise myself that this one was going to be a Roger Eagle tribute night. Must pick up more flyers in future. :yes:

After our chat the other night, I wasn't expecting you back up until about July.

...Only noticed on the Hideaway site, after we'd had a pint, that they were doing something in tribute to Roger on the 30th.

I got amazingly cheap rail tickets - eight quid each way, Euston to M'cr Piccadilly! Gave me a bit more to splurge on the hotel for the night...

Will do the La Louisianne thing for you when I'm in at Ace next week. Sailor Vernon link coming via e-mail...

TONE

Social source share

Tony, Thats why I put North/uk I am aware how influential Guy was I think the pair of them are miles ahead of everyone else.

Hope to make The Hideaway myself.

Regards Brian

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert