• Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

And why the Roy Wright flip?

wink.gif

So im told????--the bloke who formed Jerhart records was previousley a P.A.(?) man for Mica

Which makes the James Robbins the original (and better imo) version---only so im told--dont know if thats correct

Social source share

I'm not so sure about that at all. Jimmy Robins was based in California at the time of the recording of "Just Can't Please You" (and in fact for most of the 60s). The original release of the record is on Impression, which was basically a pop/garage label from Los Angeles. The Jerhart release is a straight 're-issue' of that take of the song.

Because the tune had the classic sound of Chicago hard soul in the Harold Burrage/Otis Clay vein it became a hugely popular radio record in Chicago and eventually a big seller all over the country. I wonder if the Mica version wasn't an attempt to sneak a version out for the Midwest before the Jerhart deal to release the record was officially signed. Mica and Jerhart were both Bob Lee owned or operated labels I think I'm right in saying. The fact that there's a different artist on each side of the Mica release leads me to believe it might have acted as a kind of promo, but with it being a different version wasn't persevered with once the tapes of the 'proper' version turned up.

As an aside a light blue label copy of the Jerhart 45 turned up on ebay last week which was stamped 'DJ COPY' and was accompanied by it's original "Angie Promotions" stamped mailer. An interesting artifact.

I know some people prefer the Mica version but in my opinion it's nowhere near as good. Plus it doesn't have the incredible "I Made It Over" on the flip. No disrespect to Roy Wright but he couldn't really replace one of the very greatest soul records made by anyone, ever.

Social source share

I'm not so sure about that at all. Jimmy Robins was based in California at the time of the recording of "Just Can't Please You" (and in fact for most of the 60s). The original release of the record is on Impression, which was basically a pop/garage label from Los Angeles. The Jerhart release is a straight 're-issue' of that take of the song.

Because the tune had the classic sound of Chicago hard soul in the Harold Burrage/Otis Clay vein it became a hugely popular radio record in Chicago and eventually a big seller all over the country. I wonder if the Mica version wasn't an attempt to sneak a version out for the Midwest before the Jerhart deal to release the record was officially signed. Mica and Jerhart were both Bob Lee owned or operated labels I think I'm right in saying. The fact that there's a different artist on each side of the Mica release leads me to believe it might have acted as a kind of promo, but with it being a different version wasn't persevered with once the tapes of the 'proper' version turned up.

As an aside a light blue label copy of the Jerhart 45 turned up on ebay last week which was stamped 'DJ COPY' and was accompanied by it's original "Angie Promotions" stamped mailer. An interesting artifact.

I know some people prefer the Mica version but in my opinion it's nowhere near as good. Plus it doesn't have the incredible "I Made It Over" on the flip. No disrespect to Roy Wright but he couldn't really replace one of the very greatest soul records made by anyone, ever.

Mica was not a bob lee label, mica was an al benson label. Bob lee started working with al benson toward the end of his label run and started putting out stuff on mica and crash (bob lee labels).

Social source share

Thanks for clearing that up Bob. Does this mean that Bob Lee had an interest in Jerhart himself?

Do you know the answer to the original question? At what point was the Mica version cut and was it simply a cash-in? Could it be a case of Impression selling the master of the 'classic' version to Jerhart and Robins himself selling the master of the other version to Al Benson?

Robins released records on a multitude of labels, with only really Federal (four or five singles) seemingly having him as a contracted artist for any period of time. The majority of his other records seem to have been one-off leasing deals to the likes of Convoy, Kent, 20th Century, Tangerine etc.

It's a shame that he could never really commercially capitalise on the success of "I Just Can't Please You" as his recorded body of work places him as one of the great underground soul voices.

Social source share

Thanks for clearing that up Bob. Does this mean that Bob Lee had an interest in Jerhart himself?

Do you know the answer to the original question? At what point was the Mica version cut and was it simply a cash-in? Could it be a case of Impression selling the master of the 'classic' version to Jerhart and Robins himself selling the master of the other version to Al Benson?

Robins released records on a multitude of labels, with only really Federal (four or five singles) seemingly having him as a contracted artist for any period of time. The majority of his other records seem to have been one-off leasing deals to the likes of Convoy, Kent, 20th Century, Tangerine etc.

It's a shame that he could never really commercially capitalise on the success of "I Just Can't Please You" as his recorded body of work places him as one of the great underground soul voices.

Jerhart was Bob Lee's publishing. As I learned on this forum (I originally thought he was from Chicago), Jimmy Robins was from LA, but Bob Lee must have republished the track under his Jerhart publishing as that was by far Bob Lee's biggest success. Bob Lee owned a ton of tiny labels -- Vick, Toi, Big 3, etc. but failed to score any big hits other than the Jimmy Robins track.

Social source share

The publishing credit on all three releases in the US is Ramshorn Music BMI. Sometimes this is expressed as Ram's Horn on some of the different presses (there are at least four distinct Jerhart runs: light blue, light green, light green with 'Tomorrow's Hits Today', light green with the Jerhart logo in slab-face capitals etc.) as the pressing run would have been over quite an extended period and quite a wide geographical area, not uncommon with a truly independent release which sold in large quantity.

Social source share

The publishing credit on all three releases in the US is Ramshorn Music BMI. Sometimes this is expressed as Ram's Horn on some of the different presses (there are at least four distinct Jerhart runs: light blue, light green, light green with 'Tomorrow's Hits Today', light green with the Jerhart logo in slab-face capitals etc.) as the pressing run would have been over quite an extended period and quite a wide geographical area, not uncommon with a truly independent release which sold in large quantity.

by the way, robins also record on ala in the 70s. my friend licensed "trust your child" by patrizia and jimmy from jimmy robins himself for the kiddie soul comp on numero group (which was good that it was an independent production licensed to ala, otherwise he would have had to deal with richard pryor's estate).

Social source share

A yes or no answer would have done :wave: just kidding boys, cheers for that info, the knowledge on here is mind blowing :thumbup: now please put your anaraks back on the hangers :wicked:

wink.gif

Social source share

Once again, cheers for the info, different credits on the MICA release (B.Horton) Jerhart, Impression and UK President all credited to James Robins. Variations of the Jerhart label layout, one with just the word JERHART, one has JERHART RECORDS, and the "Tommorows hits today"

Also....the times (on the label) vary enormously, MICA 2.31, Jerhart 2.27, 2.26 & 2.36 (even differs on same label colour) Impression (demo)2.45 Impression (issue)2.30

I love both cuts...the Jerhart is more polished, but the rawness of the Mica cut has the edge for me. I have a 60`s Jerhart company test press (I made it over on flip) and the Mica one.

:yes:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert