Sad Night At Willington

Guest baby bunions

Guest baby bunions

15th of May turned out to be a sad night when Austin of the East Midlands Soul Crew announced that it would be the last monthly gathering at the Willington Power Station Club. Over 13 years the EMSC have bought a hell of a lot of pleasure to loads of people, indeed although numbers were low again on Saturday the dance floor told the story of Willingtons great music policy. If you are one of those people who liked to listen to the same 100 or so tunes every week you would not have liked Willington, but if you believed thet great soul music was still being made after 1970 and up until the present day you would have loved the place. EMSC said there music policy was Across The Board and they were 100% genuine in that statement. The only good bit of news on Saturday was that they would carry on with mini allnighters, starting on June 19th 8 o,clock till 4a.m with Sean Chapman as guest DJ. Get down there and see what a great Across The Board night is all about. Thanks for the memories guys, you will be missed

• Replies 8
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Northern PhanTom

Can only echo the feelings for this night, I've had some great nights here as for over 10 yrs this place had been the perfect ATB venue for the East Midlands. I can't help feeling that there's a big lesson to be learnt here though. For years this place had a perfect balance across all gendres, with each preference fully respected by all the attendees ( I even tolerated RnB played here huh.gif ). A couple of years back a group of returnees started coming and demanding more oldies, the promoters refused and suddenly the oldie crowd faded away, to get them back they faded out the modern & crossover sounds, but they never came back, and the modern & crossover crowd dissappeared.

Suddenly the night was out of fashion and gone. I don't want to pick sides or point fingers as I still regard the promoters as friends. I just wish they had realised at the time that what made Willington special to a lot of us was the diversity of the sounds played there and the respect given by the regulars back then to each others tastes.

Just a pity that some people attending across the board venues can't tolerate across the board music

John

"DITTO" sad.gif

Tom

"DITTO" sad.gif

Tom

Totally agree. My observations over recent years are that the crossover/modern crowd are far more tolerant and respectfull of all other genres of soul music whilst the oldies crowd are not prepared or allow the scene to move out of the late 60's/early 70's. I'll probably get shot down in flames now but I'm just expressing an opinion. Paul

The only good bit of news on Saturday was that they would carry on with mini allnighters, starting on June 19th 8 o,clock till 4a.m with Sean Chapman as guest DJ. Get down there and see what a great Across The Board night is all about.
I had always liked Willington's across the board formula, appreciated why it had been tried to bring more oldies back to the regular monthlies, however the oldies were already being well catered for on the same dates of 3rd Saturdays at the Grosvenor Rooms at Sutton in Ashfield. I'd thought for a while that the mini allnighters were what really brought out the best in this venue, and as I do not live in Derby but just visit family there, I was more inclined to pick mini allnighter dates rather than the normal monthlies. I think many monthly venues struggle at the moment, and its often said "less is more." Hopefully will get there for this date in June, Sean Chapman has done many great spots there before.
Guest rennie

Totally agree. My observations over recent years are that the crossover/modern crowd are far more tolerant and respectfull of all other genres of soul music whilst the oldies crowd are not prepared or allow the scene to move out of the late 60's/early 70's. I'll probably get shot down in flames now but I'm just expressing an opinion. Paul

I totally agree with your observations and an opinion very well put Paul.

Guest gouldensoul

I totally agree with your observations and an opinion very well put Paul.

I must totally agree with all sentiments.

this place was very special and the music superb pity certain promoters seem to be very greedy and wish to have the monopoly on the midlands scene. This in my opinion has also contributed to the numbers falling off not only at willington but every other venue as well.

I can only say that it's a sad loss and eventually soulies will realize what they have lost in the area

A massive thank you to all who have helped in the past.we have had some great nights with a fabulous crowd of people.

Paul.

Can only echo the feelings for this night, I've had some great nights here as for over 10 yrs this place had been the perfect ATB venue for the East Midlands. I can't help feeling that there's a big lesson to be learnt here though. For years this place had a perfect balance across all gendres, with each preference fully respected by all the attendees ( I even tolerated RnB played here huh.gif ). A couple of years back a group of returnees started coming and demanding more oldies, the promoters refused and suddenly the oldie crowd faded away, to get them back they faded out the modern & crossover sounds, but they never came back, and the modern & crossover crowd dissappeared.

Suddenly the night was out of fashion and gone. I don't want to pick sides or point fingers as I still regard the promoters as friends. I just wish they had realised at the time that what made Willington special to a lot of us was the diversity of the sounds played there and the respect given by the regulars back then to each others tastes.

Just a pity that some people attending across the board venues can't tolerate across the board music

John

AGREE WITH TOM

Across the board access all areas and doesnt always access all musical likes

but should we tolerate single minded people and bow down to the wants of the few

and that goes both ways Modern Lovers RnB Lovers or Oldies Lovers

and as so many nights and Pub or Club owners want the beer And Drinks revenue

the music and the longer running venues off the beaten track are getting left behind as travel isnt always seen as the night out to enjoy

when you can go local or travel with the flock to the venues catreing to individual

and not neccesary the music lover

TRY AND PLAY TO THE ALL

DOESNT WORK

TRY AND PLAY TO THE FEW

DOESNT WORK

what does work

you tell every long running promoter

when johnny with the record collection wants to spin a few

he buys a little rig and finds a place and hires a guest

and gets to play

one more and then another one

1 million people go into 1 million venues average 1 each

it dont work

and we will all suffer in the long term

we are all in the sabre tooth tiger era

going to be extinct unless a million new bloods can be shown what Northern Soul is

WHO DOES KNOW

Very sad demise.

I was booked to DJ last Saturday but Austin caled to tell me not to bother and as i was due in work at 6.00 on Sunday morning i accepted his invitation not to turn up.

Had some great nights there, too many to mention, and thats how the venue should always be remembered.

Chris

Guest Northern PhanTom

Think most peeps who have been on the scene without a break have witnessed shifts in the ideology of fractions in the music genres cloaked under the name of "Soul Music" and most have shape shifted about in these genres over the years which are sometimes reflective of age, mood and life style. These peeps tolerate "Across the Board" venues well because at some point in their life they may well of been into the other genre's.

Peeps that dropped off the scene for whatever reason 25 - 30 years ago perhaps to get married, start a family or because Wigan closed could be a million reasons have not had the longevity of witnessing the shifts in music genre and have picked up where they left off.

Nothing wrong with this I might add each to their own and the scene belongs to no one person, but it's logical that they would not be as tolerant to an "ATB event because they have not had the time or been part of a movement within the scene when shifts took place.

I know this is not a definitive explanation as lots of peeps who were off the scene for years are highly energetic in their quest for sounds they have not heard before whether they be modern/70's/x over/mid tempo/60's rare or R&B which perhaps have been out the blocks 2/3 times already, to some.

Also you do get some regulars who are set in their ways and despite never having a break from the scene prefer one genre, but on the face of it those who have "Been there done it and worn the T Shirt" are more tolerant than those who have yet to wear the "T- Shirt"

Tom :wink:

Source Advert