Crookes W.m.c. Fri. 18Th Feb

Guest Barry Holland

Guest Barry Holland

Started off what turned out to be a great weekend of soul.:thumbsup: The evening started with Bob H, taking it nice and easy after his stay in hospital (get well soon my old).:lol: Then myself playing a few, followed by Russ Winstanley, and the night being finished off by Paul (Ace) Richards.:hatsoff2:

A decent, appreciative, crowd in for the size of the venue.:hatsoff2: Dancefloor busy all night. :thumbsup: Thanks for having me again and look forward to the next one on the third friday in April.:thumbsup: (No event in March due to club being allready booked).

Thanks to Nigel :hatsoff2: for excellent work on the sound system.:thumbsup:

Thanks to Bob H and Paul (Ace), till next time, all the best, Barry, KGB, KTF.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Next up Barnbrough saturday.:yes:

Edited by Barry Holland
  • Replies 16
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

First time for me at the Crookes club and May I say its like the Doctor Who's tardis massive inside great dance floor nice and smooth Great spots from the dj's although personally I didnt rate Mr Russ Winstanleys spot. But other than that will deffo be returning keep up the good work lads. thumbsup.gif

Started off what turned out to be a great weekend of soul.:thumbsup: The evening started with Bob H, taking it nice and easy after his stay in hospital (get well soon my old).:thumbup: Then myself playing a few, followed by Russ Winstanley, and the night being finished off by Paul (Ace) Richards.:hatsoff2:

A decent, appreciative, crowd in for the size of the venue.:hatsoff2: Dancefloor busy all night. :thumbsup: Thanks for having me again and look forward to the next one on the third friday in April.:thumbsup: (No event in March due to club being allready booked).

Thanks to Nigel hatsoff2.gif for excellent work on the sound system.:thumbsup:

Thanks to Bob H and Paul (Ace), till next time, all the best, Barry, KGB, KTF.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Next up Barnbrough saturday.:thumbup:

well its the first time since i have been a member of soul source that i have felt the need to respond to a few posts,,, Barry, its the first time for our little gang to attend crookes,, after it being recommended,, £75 was spent on a taxi to get us there, £4 each to get in ( 6 of us) so a total of £99 was spent before any drinks were bought,,,,, and in our opinion it was £99 poorly spent,, the building was "off the main track " and easily missed,, the music and sound system was of poor quality,, and as for the dance floor being busy all night,, well you must have been at a different venue, cos if 10 people max on a dance floor is busy,, i would not like to see a quiet one,,,, sorry guys,,, first time and last time for us

Guest smudgesmith

well its the first time since i have been a member of soul source that i have felt the need to respond to a few posts,,, Barry, its the first time for our little gang to attend crookes,, after it being recommended,, £75 was spent on a taxi to get us there, £4 each to get in ( 6 of us) so a total of £99 was spent before any drinks were bought,,,,, and in our opinion it was £99 poorly spent,, the building was "off the main track " and easily missed,, the music and sound system was of poor quality,, and as for the dance floor being busy all night,, well you must have been at a different venue, cos if 10 people max on a dance floor is busy,, i would not like to see a quiet one,,,, sorry guys,,, first time and last time for us

If this is a genuine post ,then its nice to see a bit of honesty. I appreciate different people see things differently and have varying views on their night out.I read all the look-backs from up and down the country and it appears no one has a bad night\!!!!

hiya smudge,,, yep genuine, true n honest opinion pal,, we travel up n down at the wkends, if its blackhearts ( good venue) grosvenor ( cliquey) or carl pipers gig at kingsway (good venue) to drax ( yep,, at the power station,, and an excellent gig on this fri actually) to Tadcaster, Halifax, Harrogate n York,,, we attend most wkenders (roll on prestatyn,,, brids getting to be " same as same as" but will give it one last try this year) so it was disappointing to attend a poor venue such as crookes ( and so poorly attended) but hey,,, you never know till you go,,,ktf !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest dazzzzler

got to agree with the.honesty quote.but we all have our likes and dislikes on venues.this one as only just taken off and will have teething problems like most new events,do sympathise with you for the long journey ,i av bin told in pass that a venue got big dance floor(small)etc etc.its just the wayit is that promoters will say anything to get the crowds in .i like the dance hall at crookes .but cant comment on anything els didnt go.good luk with future gigs lads at crookes.sure you will get some positives out of negative if you no wot i mean laugh.gif .

just like to thank the lads up at Crooks club last friday, had a great night, I got there after nine it was filling up then, got the last of barrys spot, then Russ finished of with ace. this could be the club to fill the JVs polish club space in anyones soul night out !! I really hope this night is here to stay,

to the lad who did not enjoy his night it sounds to me as your night started out bad paying all that money out to get there £75 ? around £12.50 each I pay £7 from london rd to get to crooks club, £4 in to see Russ + 3 DJs not to bad Ive paid out lot more and only listen to local DJs I dont know how much Russ charged but you pay a lot for a dj who has a radio show , not made my mind up about his spot, though Contact was a bit off, then it did fill the dance floor ?

I will be at the next one thats for sure KTF

Guest A WAY OF LIFE NS

First time for me too at crookes really enjoyed it djs played good sets not sure about the contact record though but like you said people danced to it its got a great floor and will visit again . :thumbsup: KTF........

Guest Barry Holland

Just thought i'd reply to a few things brought up by Tilerbob. First of all i am really sorry if you think you wasted a lot of money travelling on friday night.

No. 1 The venue was off the beaten track.

200 yds off the main road going through Crookes is not really off the beaten track, and in this day and age most people have sat nav or access to the internet.

No.2 Music and sound system poor quality.

Music was as advertised, classic northern and motown. The sound system was set up by a qualified sound engineer

No.3 dancefloor busy.

O.K. you got me, the first hour not many people up dancing, but i think this is quite common at most venues, but after that i can't remember the dancefloor being empty. If you'd have stayed till the end, because i'm sure you must have left early, you'd have got an overall view of the entire night, and for the last hour and half the dancefloor was full. About 40/50 people dancing to many records (there will be some photos put up soon to show this)

Also 40/50 people dancing out of a crowd of 100 is a good percentage.

No.4 you say Brid's getting same as same as.

Brid's got 5 rooms to choose from, nuff said.

No.5 Crookes club was poorly attended.

There were approx. 100 people in, in a room that holds 400+, so it may look a bit empty. I know lots of promoters who would love to get 100 people in.

This is myself expressing my own, honest, points of view, in no way are they the views of the promoters.

I wish you many happy hours souling wherever you go and if we happen to meet i would be more than happy to share a beer and a chat, all the best, Barry, KGB, KTF.

I also agree with Smudgesmith, it does appear as if no one has a bad night.

Happy souling to all soul sourcers.

:thumbsup: We enjoyed Crookes.

We attend various venues up and down the country and have been known to pop abroad on occasions for soul events. We enjoy each venue for different reasons - the dance floor at Crookes is superb and it was a pleasant surprise to find a lovely big dance floor the minute we walked in. :yes: All venues have teething problems when they first start up and yes a few more through the door would not have gone a miss with it being such a big place but its not the be all and end all. Personally I couldn't care less how many were actually in the place - I enjoyed the music being played (even sang along to Contact although only ever heard it in the disco a long long time ago - but it did make me smile). 5 of us once travelled to a venue where only 18 people attended and we had a brilliant night and that was because the music was excellent. We will definitely go back to Crookes and we are looking forward to it going from strength to strength.

Hi Barry - agree with your comments about Brid - 5 rooms to choose from - just perfect and love my fix of Brid ;-)

Thank you all

As Ringo Starr would say - "Peace and Love, Peace and Love"

;-)

Guest Barry Holland

Thanks for all the positive feedback, i'm sure the promoters will be chuffed. Nigel, Mark, Dave, Daggsy,Little Al and Miss Wasperella. Yes it is what you make it. Next one Dave, is the third friday in April, no event in March due to another event on in the club. See you at the next one, all the best, happy souling, Barry, KGB, KTF.

Source Advert