Eugene (Gene) McDaniels R.I.P

Guest Dante

Guest Dante

Just read this: https://www.beachamjournal.com/journal/2011/07/gene-mcdaniels-composer-of-compared-to-what-dies-in-maine.html

Anyone can confirm?

If it's true, one of the greatest songwriters of all time has left us. Both his early big city stuff and his early 70s output (Headless Heroes Of The Apocalypse is one of my favorite albums of all time) is great.

Rest in peace...

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Beeks

Parasite is possibly one of the most moving tracks of all time..reduces me to tears every time I listen to it..

RIP to a true revolutionary

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I was only talking to Ady last week about how he was still in great voice and what a coup it would be to get him for Cleethorpes (Ady agreed, incidentally...)

Another giant of black American music departs. I wonder how many people who have posted a tribute to another recently demised singer will bother to come on here and say goodbye to Gene?

However many it is, it won't be enough...

How fantastic was that?

Social source share

I'm very sorry to read that he has died. I'm old enough to remember his early Liberty hits lilke A 100 Pounds Of Clay and Tower Of Strength, and the way the British cover versions beat him into the top 20. From that era I think Point Of No Return is very good, but for me Another Tear Falls is his top tune. Featured in the British movie It's Trad Dad. I've got a feeling that he toured the UK in one of those package tours, and I may have seen him live, but my memory is not what it used to be.

I'm not familiar with his 70s material, will see if I can find some of it.

RIP Gene.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

'Compared To Waht' is his main classic self penned track IMO, recently included on the latest John Legend CD. However, my favourite track by him is 'Anyone Else' on Liberty. A real cheesy song with a latin type intro and a big band backing with a white sounding choir! But it really appeals to the middle aged crooner lurking within me.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert