Chicago Record Store Help

Podge

Anyone help me out here please, been working in the US for the last week and am going to be spending the weekend in Chicago,unplanned !

I know a couple of stores like Beverly but are there any others from the whole list I can see on the web that are worth a visit ?

Not expecting to find rarities although would be nice LOL, I collect totally across the board.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nick

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Steve at the Record Dugout on W63rd St

Out of the past on Madison...but dont go there at night!

You will find some nice Lps at places listed in the Yellow pages...

The Hillside show is well worth checking out...I think it is the 3rd Sunday of the month

More importantly try some Pizza from Leonas...best I have ever tasted!

Chris

Social source share

Nice Lps at Old School records, about 2 miles down the road from out of the past...but a million miles in terms of the the area! They have 45s too but mostly out of sleeves and well picked over...

Hyde park records, opens late, worth a look...the old second hand tunes store on Clark and another big store further up the street are ok for Lps too...

Remember most of these guys (not Steve) are ebay guys and the best stuff goes straight on the net....that doesn`t mean you wont find anything though!

Good luck Nick...

Chris

Social source share

Nice Lps at Old School records, about 2 miles down the road from out of the past...but a million miles in terms of the the area! They have 45s too but mostly out of sleeves and well picked over...

Hyde park records, opens late, worth a look...the old second hand tunes store on Clark and another big store further up the street are ok for Lps too...

Remember most of these guys (not Steve) are ebay guys and the best stuff goes straight on the net....that doesn`t mean you wont find anything though!

Good luck Nick...

Chris

Social source share

Good call Joe....Oh Yeah Mr Peabody, just down from Beverlys..had Arnold Blair off his wall for $5.00!

Great for Lps...not that cheap but real quality stuff, nice guys too...bit scary to start with but great guys...and quality records

11832 S. Western Av

Chris

ps. off to bed now before I give away all of my Chicago secrets!

Social source share

More importantly try some Pizza from Leonas...best I have ever tasted!

what is up with brits and leonas, that place is disgusting with shitty service and like 10 locations. you're the second person to post that here.

for good chicago style pizza go to lou malnatis or giordanos. there are also some good upscale type pizza places in the city.

unfortunately i can't recommend any record stores, don't really spend any time going to any stores anymore. the most likely one to get soul 45s at is record dugout on 63rd. that new direction lp isn't common but it isn't really anything.

Edited by boba
Social source share

I like the pizza at Leona's. Would agree with you about Lou Malnatis. Wouldn't recommend Giordano's though- had one of the worst pizzas and worst service at the one near Rush- might have been an off night though.

You've got some good leads- good luck on your visit !

it is true that some giordanos are worse than other ones and it is also a big chain in chicago. their pizza is what i consider the most stereotypical "chicago style" pizza though.

Social source share

it is true that some giordanos are worse than other ones and it is also a big chain in chicago. their pizza is what i consider the most stereotypical "chicago style" pizza though.

Like it. The one in Westchester is good, at least. There's another place downtown called Uno or Number One or something along the lines that I enjoyed, too.

Edited by Dante
Social source share

you're thinking of pizzeria uno, also a famous chicago pizza place

I used to eat at Pizzeria Uno occasionally when I lived in Mass. It was tasty and heavy but I'm guessing like Starbucks Coffee is to people here in Seattle, good for what it is but considered a gateway to the better stuff. Crap, now that I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't mind having some of that pizza again.

Social source share

To Boba - is Bob Miner(Minor?) still around? I remember him selling records at the old Boston record show. At that time he was rather overweight and would consume a large sub or two at the table, often decked out in Cubs gear. He had a lot of good records though in his uniquely dated sleeves.

Social source share

While we are talking anyone know of an lp by The New Dimension on Neptune?NLSP200, picked it up in a thrift store, anything of note on it by way of good tracks ?

Popsike gives a last sold @$24 so not anything rare..................

The New Direction features Terri Bryant on vocals

"Teardrops And Heartaches" is a good ballad...........rest of the LP is in a Fifth Dimension kinda groove........ I love it ! :rofl:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

To Boba - is Bob Miner(Minor?) still around? I remember him selling records at the old Boston record show. At that time he was rather overweight and would consume a large sub or two at the table, often decked out in Cubs gear. He had a lot of good records though in his uniquely dated sleeves.

Bob Miner is still at the Record Dugout.

Social source share

Anyone help me out here please, been working in the US for the last week and am going to be spending the weekend in Chicago,unplanned !

I know a couple of stores like Beverly but are there any others from the whole list I can see on the web that are worth a visit ?

Not expecting to find rarities although would be nice LOL, I collect totally across the board.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nick

last time i was in beverlys records the coloured guy that shows you around wher to look etc real cool guy he was dancing around and singing word for word to lou courtneys "what do you want me to do"but anyway he told me that Patti Hamilton visits that shop every other day so it might be worth visiting just to bump into Patti I sent a message to her via Jack shop owner but he said she didnt seem to believe there was much interest in uk about her!!!good luck and hope you bump into her if you go

dave

ps Im going to philadelphia soon anyone any tips for there much appreciated

Social source share

Thanks again guys for the info, I was in BR's last year and there was no coloured guy and that explains why, sad in anycase. Never picked up anything mega rare in there but lots of good 70's stuff, run of the mill but nice on demo's, will check out Peabodys for sure as keen on the 80's/90's 12's.

One tip from me for any UK guys heading this way, check out any antiques malls while you are on your travels, have picked up some lp's from these places. I also do the thrift/Goodwill stores, not as good as they were years ago but you never know. Have picked up things like Jeanett Harper, Collins and Collins, Apollas(creator) 45's and all at 99 cents. Don't make special trips to them these days but if I pass one I always pop in ,,,,,,,,,, you never know whats in the boxes !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert