Cala Gran - An Australian Perspective

Guest chorleybloke

Guest chorleybloke

Just been reading all the various comments & reports on the Cala Gran event & thought I'd chuck my 2 penneth in. Its hard to be disappointed at any allnighter when you only visit 3 or 4 UK gigs each year, I caught up with hundreds of mates and had a reasonable dance (Saturday allnighter only). I say "reasonable" because (1) the dancefloor was treacherous - you can hire the tiled floors without the metal lips so the effect is quite seamless and (2) I fully expected a large helping of oldies but in my view there were way too many "top 50". I'll single out Neil Jones as the most imaginitive DJ plus the 2nd half of the nighter in general - I always like to leave an event having heard plenty of tracks for the first time. William Bell is undoubtedly a class act but I never was much of a live act fan at allnighters. Still glad I decided to go though.

Cheers...........Pete whistling.gif

• Replies 6
  • Views 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just been reading all the various comments & reports on the Cala Gran event & thought I'd chuck my 2 penneth in. Its hard to be disappointed at any allnighter when you only visit 3 or 4 UK gigs each year, I caught up with hundreds of mates and had a reasonable dance (Saturday allnighter only). I say "reasonable" because (1) the dancefloor was treacherous - you can hire the tiled floors without the metal lips so the effect is quite seamless and (2) I fully expected a large helping of oldies but in my view there were way too many "top 50". I'll single out Neil Jones as the most imaginitive DJ plus the 2nd half of the nighter in general - I always like to leave an event having heard plenty of tracks for the first time. William Bell is undoubtedly a class act but I never was much of a live act fan at allnighters. Still glad I decided to go though.

Cheers...........Pete whistling.gif

How about a Friday Review Pete?

Hi Pete,

Didn't make it to Fleetwood this year. Reasons (1) & (2) in your review had something to do with it.

Look fwd to meeting up at sometime in the future though.

My son phoned up from Oz today, he had a brilliant night at your club in Perth & asked me to fwd his best wishes.

Best regards

Col.

the friday night in the main room wasnt very good at all , except for snake davis and the suspicions

there werent enough "oldies" in the sets by the dj,s and so the actual night didnt live up to the expectations that we all had in our party, I stated this in my earlier review on this forum in the cala gran thread so have a read there

I also stated how good the saturday night was and was above all our expectations and I stayed from 2045 until about 5 am sunday, leaving just before soul sam would have finished. the artists and band were superb and the dj sets were also top notch with a good mix of well known and not so well known northern and motown. a shame they didnt do a similar job on the friday

and yes the weather was extremely cold and windy and wet !!!

the friday night in the main room wasnt very good at all , except for snake davis and the suspicions

there werent enough "oldies" in the sets by the dj,s and so the actual night didnt live up to the expectations that we all had in our party, I stated this in my earlier review on this forum in the cala gran thread so have a read there

I also stated how good the saturday night was and was above all our expectations and I stayed from 2045 until about 5 am sunday, leaving just before soul sam would have finished. the artists and band were superb and the dj sets were also top notch with a good mix of well known and not so well known northern and motown. a shame they didnt do a similar job on the friday

and yes the weather was extremely cold and windy and wet !!!

I think you will find Pete Came to Cheltenham on Friday and i was prodding for a review :thumbsup:
Guest chorleybloke

I think you will find Pete Came to Cheltenham on Friday and i was prodding for a review :thumbsup:

Yes Saracens in Cheltenham is a recommended gig if you're into predominantly 60s dancers, I thought the mix of old & new was just about right with some cracking sets throughout the night, in particular Ady Pountain who has always had a nack of pulling a few surprises, the one I can remember most being "The Trouble I've Seen" by the Volumes on Impact (its the lesser played flip to "That Same Old Feeling"). And the proprietor himself Mr French had the premier league out during his later set. Good dancefloor, friendly crowd, cheap beer, separate chillout & record area. Top start to the weekend.

Cheers............Pete back int sun whistling.gif

Yes Saracens in Cheltenham is a recommended gig if you're into predominantly 60s dancers, I thought the mix of old & new was just about right with some cracking sets throughout the night, in particular Ady Pountain who has always had a nack of pulling a few surprises, the one I can remember most being "The Trouble I've Seen" by the Volumes on Impact (its the lesser played flip to "That Same Old Feeling"). And the proprietor himself Mr French had the premier league out during his later set. Good dancefloor, friendly crowd, cheap beer, separate chillout & record area. Top start to the weekend.

Cheers............Pete back int sun :huh:

Nice one, good to get an "outsiders perspective"

We don't seem to get many write ups lately, even though we are the biggest regular event in the SouthWest

maybe its because once you've visited you know the score

I like to book ahead, So have just booked the Sixties Mafia for Xmas 2006

Keb & Guy Back to back!

and Modern in the Second Room for the night

Pete

Source Advert