Cracked Records

Guest allnightandy

Guest brianw70

i have a few cracked 45s , as long as they play through for djing then they are ok

what price for a toni basil on a&m and shawn robinson on minit? both play fine

Edited by brianw70
Social source share

I've found on here specifically, cracked records don't seem to be devalued that much if they play fine.

There was this hilarious ebay auction a few months ago where this dude was trying to sell a copy of the Sparkels on Old Town that had a cigarette burn 3/4 through, he said he was selling it so you could listen to 3/4 of the record fine. Also, the start bid was high, like at least $50 (I think even higher). He ran the auction a few times with no bids.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I have several styrene records that are cracked some that i bought on ebay where the seller says it was ok when he posted it

and some i bought knowing they were cracked all play fine

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of cracked records..one that has a super tight hairline going through 15% of the grooves otherwise virtually unplayed..I paid alot of money for it considering that theres only like 1 other known copy out there at least to my knowledge..with that being said if the record was not cracked I would have easily paid double the price

Social source share

i have bought some that have cracked but would not buy a cracked record knowingly

I would never buy a cracked record knowingly. i recently spent a lot on a record that had an extremely hard to see tiny edge crack that you could only see in indirect light for some reason (I tried to scan the 45 and it wouldn't show up). the seller did honestly grade the record and missed the crack. I kept the record (it's hard to let go once it's in my hands). Now I have to deal with the mental turmoil of having an expensive cracked record in my collection. And if I sell it I have to mention the crack even though most sellers and buyers would not see the crack in the first place.

I recently got another cracked record (the 7th house that's on debroussard, but on an ultra-rare earlier label). There really aren't any other known copies, my friend took a photo of it at lou ragland's house and that's how we even knew about it. I'm still torn about it. But I didn't pay a lot because the crack was disclosed atleast.

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

post-20010-0-63450800-1328931864_thumb.j

i have bought some that have cracked but would not buy a cracked record knowingly

IVE NEVER KNOWINGLY BOUGHT A CRACKED RECORD BUT HAVE BEEN SOLD ONE

Social source share

I actually get a surprising percentage of my records I buy on ebay with cracks (usually tiny edge cracks). I have no idea if the sellers are shady and didn't disclose them or if they didn't see them (since I am hypersensitive to them, it's a pet peeve of mine). It really sucks mainly because I have to waste a ton of time returning records to the seller and usually lose return shipping. Such a high percentage of sellers are shady though that if I actually want to find anything I have to deal with them.

Social source share

I suspect it may not actually be cracked. I've seen hundreds of styrene records show a line across the record or are discolored in such a way it appears to be cracked. if you bend it and it opens up then it's a crack otherwise it's usually just a line caused in the molding process. i've seen a 25 count box all with the same line. none were actually cracked and vinyl records never seem to have this line. the fact that he had two with the identical same line tells me it may not be a crack.

Social source share

I suspect it may not actually be cracked. I've seen hundreds of styrene records show a line across the record or are discolored in such a way it appears to be cracked. if you bend it and it opens up then it's a crack otherwise it's usually just a line caused in the molding process. i've seen a 25 count box all with the same line. none were actually cracked and vinyl records never seem to have this line. the fact that he had two with the identical same line tells me it may not be a crack.

Actually Carl, I know exactly what you're talking about, they look like stress lines on styrene going across the record. Someone on here once said that they formed as part of the pressing process. I actually used to consider those cracks and send those back. But so many styrene records have those that I have to deal with it and it's not like unstable where it will break more.

But what I was referring to was genuinely cracked records that are cracked at the edge. They are almost always tight cracks that the seller either missed or was hoping that I would miss.

Social source share

I actually get a surprising percentage of my records I buy on ebay with cracks (usually tiny edge cracks). I have no idea if the sellers are shady and didn't disclose them or if they didn't see them (since I am hypersensitive to them, it's a pet peeve of mine). It really sucks mainly because I have to waste a ton of time returning records to the seller and usually lose return shipping. Such a high percentage of sellers are shady though that if I actually want to find anything I have to deal with them.

Slight change of subject Bob, but I've got a Paul Smith on jacklyn, not cracked, but looks like a group of some kind of tiny bubbles on surface of vinyl, looks like could have been in the manufacting process. Record otherwise super clean & doesn't effect play. Have you come across this before? Always wonder what it is, if it's just mine or this could be common?

Aid.

Social source share

Slight change of subject Bob, but I've got a Paul Smith on jacklyn, not cracked, but looks like a group of some kind of tiny bubbles on surface of vinyl, looks like could have been in the manufacting process. Record otherwise super clean & doesn't effect play. Have you come across this before? Always wonder what it is, if it's just mine or this could be common?

Aid.

Do you mean like pitting in the vinyl? It could be so many things i would have to see it to see if I had any idea as to what it is. Can you take a photo?

Social source share

Do you mean like pitting in the vinyl? It could be so many things i would have to see it to see if I had any idea as to what it is. Can you take a photo?

Yeah, kind of pitting, Tiny bits, will take a photo & upload, am working away till Friday, so post up at weekend.

Is vinyl subject to any heat after cutting then or would that just been in storage?

Don't really know the process.

Aid

Social source share

Yeah, kind of pitting, Tiny bits, will take a photo & upload, am working away till Friday, so post up at weekend.

Is vinyl subject to any heat after cutting then or would that just been in storage?

Don't really know the process.

Aid

No vinyl should not be exposed to heat as part of the process. But it could be a bunch of things. Sometimes when vinyl is pressed it comes out as sort of worn and pitted looking. I'm pretty sure that's not a result of heat exposure but instead part of the manufacturing process or maybe cheap recycled vinyl to make the record.

However, when a record gets exposed to heat, a bunch of things can happen, including a similar pitting effect. Almost always heat damage results in some noise or a "whoosh" sound as the needle passes over the affected area.

But it's too hard to tell without a picture, as far as I know, it could be a cigarette burn. Also, occasionally as a part of the pressing process there are like one or two bubbles in the wax (or worse, sometimes paper gets embedded in the wax).

Social source share

No vinyl should not be exposed to heat as part of the process. But it could be a bunch of things. Sometimes when vinyl is pressed it comes out as sort of worn and pitted looking. I'm pretty sure that's not a result of heat exposure but instead part of the manufacturing process or maybe cheap recycled vinyl to make the record.

However, when a record gets exposed to heat, a bunch of things can happen, including a similar pitting effect. Almost always heat damage results in some noise or a "whoosh" sound as the needle passes over the affected area.

But it's too hard to tell without a picture, as far as I know, it could be a cigarette burn. Also, occasionally as a part of the pressing process there are like one or two bubbles in the wax (or worse, sometimes paper gets embedded in the wax).

Will post a detailed picture up at weekend Bob.

Aid

Social source share

Hows this for a cracked record ... https://www.ebay.co.u...E:B:WNA:GB:1123

Not a bad price for someone from the UK :g:

Is that an original? no bootleg is listed in the manship guide and it books for 3500.

I've never heard this record before. Is that clip in the auction actually what people DJ? it's just a slow blues cut, not even funky. I'm totally confused now.

Social source share

I've had records that had chips going into the playing grooves that played through because the needle spinning at 45 was able to go over that spot (sort of like driving fast over a speed bump). That record listed isn't exactly an "edge chip" (as listed) though, it's more like an entirely missing edge.

Social source share

Aid.

Just dug out mine to see if same thing was present, but vinyl as near perfect as they come, no bubbles, have them on a few US other records though... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Hi Bob,

Heres a pic of that pitted Paul Smith, hope you can see it, really hard to highlight it on a digi camera, took me loads of goes to even pick it up, now I know why some pictures of vinyl looks more glossy than they actually are, it's the flash, an easy way to get fooled on record condition, anyway here the link.

Aid.

Social source share

Hi Bob,

Heres a pic of that pitted Paul Smith, hope you can see it, really hard to highlight it on a digi camera, took me loads of goes to even pick it up, now I know why some pictures of vinyl looks more glossy than they actually are, it's the flash, an easy way to get fooled on record condition, anyway here the link.

Aid.

I looked at the photo, before I answer, it looks like the vinyl changes color or reflectivity around those two pits. Is that the case or is it just the lighting? If it does change color around that area, can you hear anything like a "swoosh" noise when it plays over that area?

Social source share

Guest brianw70

Other side is the money side Bob ...very interesting how he never put a clip of that side ,but wrote in his listing how very rare it was ?

If it plays then someone will be a happy dj

hopefully will play through , if not in a frame it goes :thumbsup::)

Social source share

I looked at the photo, before I answer, it looks like the vinyl changes color or reflectivity around those two pits. Is that the case or is it just the lighting? If it does change color around that area, can you hear anything like a "swoosh" noise when it plays over that area?

Hey Bob, just checked over the record, there is absolutely no coloration of the vinyl, all black as should be, must just be reflections in the light to give that effect, but upon close inspection, while playing, there was the faintest 'swoosh' which I'd never noticed before & I had to play it over the pitting bits a few time to notice, but I do think it's there.

Anyway, what do you think? Manufacturing fault maybe? cos it doesn't look like it's been prodded with anything & otherwise in great condition.

Aid.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!