Ketty Lester & Eddie Bishop

jonbuck

On talking to Micky Boland who used to work @ Past & Present Records in Watford about some of the Records that he Helped along the way namley:- Reparata & the Delrons "Panic"....Billy Arnel "Tough Girl"....Eddie Bishop "Call Me" which Micky says Brian Rae was to Scared to play....Judy Harris " You Touched Me" which Micky sold to Colin Curtis & Ketty Lester "Somethings Are Better Etc" now Micky say's Ask Pete Smith about this one..... So Pete tell us the story....

Jon Buck

Edited by jonbuck
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The only thing to tell is that I used to run this magazine (beginning in 1988) called Beatin Rhythm which for the first 8 or 9 issues only reviewed and discovered UK label Northern Soul - I never made many issues, maybe 300 of each, but loads of the people who bought it used to send in their discoveries and if you look back, you'll see tons of todays collectors items mentioned for the first time in there...honestly. Mick sent me Ketty Lester, he discovered it, I reviewed it (I think the review says something like 'must be worth around £6 at the moment') and put it on that issues tape, next thing, someone's playing it covered up and a year after that it's massive. So thats the only story I know about that one.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

The only thing to tell is that I used to run this magazine (beginning in 1988) called Beatin Rhythm which for the first 8 or 9 issues only reviewed and discovered UK label Northern Soul - I never made many issues, maybe 300 of each, but loads of the people who bought it used to send in their discoveries and if you look back, you'll see tons of todays collectors items mentioned for the first time in there...honestly. Mick sent me Ketty Lester, he discovered it, I reviewed it (I think the review says something like 'must be worth around £6 at the moment') and put it on that issues tape, next thing, someone's playing it covered up and a year after that it's massive. So thats the only story I know about that one.

Still good to hear though, It just was the way Micky worded it "Ask Pete about this one"

Keep @ It

Jon Buck

Social source share

Blimey- Past and Present ! Gone now I think. I'm sure I bought something nice from there. I did get a mint George Freeman 'Down And Out" on Valiant for ten pence in a charity shop three minutes away once.

Social source share

Blimey- Past and Present ! Gone now I think. I'm sure I bought something nice from there. I did get a mint George Freeman 'Down And Out" on Valiant for ten pence in a charity shop three minutes away once.

No they have Not Gone :lol: Just Moved around the corner, Now in Hatfield Road just off St Albans Road, & as I said in an Earlier posting I still reckon there are a few Gems waiting to be unearthed in here, With a couple of stereo's out the back you can now play the sounds your not sure about whistling.gif Check it out,

Jon Buck

Social source share

you've found the person responsible for Eddie Bishop? I'd love to meet that person and shake him by the neck!

Well Micky may have been responsible for getting Eddie Bishop played but really it is Tony Hatch you want to blame....This record was a hit for Chris Montez,Petula Clark,Frank Sinatra,George Shearing, Nancy Wilson,Ella Fitzgerald,Sarah Vaughan, Astrud Gilberto,Billy Crystal,Lulu & Mike Flowers Pops.... whistling.gif

Jon Buck

post-2461-1134080705_thumb.jpg

post-2461-1134080928_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonbuck
Social source share

Well Micky may have been responsible for getting Eddie Bishop played but really it is Tony Hatch you want to blame....This record was a hit for Chris Montez,Petula Clark,Frank Sinatra,George Jon Buck[/quote]

Did anyone play Astrud Gilberto ?

JB

Edited by jonbuck
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert