May Be Of Interest To Some

Guest Kevin J

Guest Kevin J

added some scans of playlists from a local rnb radio station from 1965 in my gallery here

source is a black-operated newspaper from the seattle area. printed from microfilm, so they are a bit rough but readable. also a few ads. enjoy.

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

added some scans of playlists from a local rnb radio station from 1965 in my gallery here

source is a black-operated newspaper from the seattle area. printed from microfilm, so they are a bit rough but readable. also a few ads. enjoy.

nice one,

could throw in some joke about frazier but wont

just googled the station and fair bit of info shows including a audio interview,https://www.kuow.org/defaultProgram.asp?ID=9393

which leads to a few things, including video trailer and website on a up and coming documentry on seattles soul history

Kevin have you done any follow up on station or in contact with documenatry team?

have added a clip from main page below

there is a also request, maybe some on here be able to help ? if are in touch Kevin with them may be worthwhile seeing what they are after, sure be a few willing to help?

"If you have records, posters, flyers, memories to share, etc about the soul and funk scene in the 60s and 70s around the Pacific Northwest, we'd love to hear from you! Contact Jennifer. "

sites at

https://www.wheedlesgroovemovie.com/

clip more info on site

Evil Bunny Films Presents. . .

While Quincy Jones, Jimi Hendrix, and Ray Charles left Seattle to make it, they left behind a thriving scene with a unique Seattle sound. In the late 1960's, groups like Black on White Affair, The Soul Swingers, and Cold, Bold & Together filled local airwaves as radio station KYAC provided a structure for the community to flourish. Many of the groups started to receive widespread attention with invitations to perform on national television and to collaborate with mainstream acts. Just as many of the groups were on the verge of breaking out, the fickle public turned its ear from funk to disco, and Seattle's soul and funk scene slipped into obscurity. Thirty years later and half way around the world in London, England, the music came to life again. English collectors purchased a defunct record distribution warehouse in San Francisco. One of the records was a 45 rpm vinyl single called "I Let a Good Man Go" by Patrinell Staten, a young Seattle soul singer who printed 500 copies of her 45 in 1969 and traveled up and down the West Coast performing and selling records out of the trunk of her car. The collectors took the record back to England, and it quickly became a huge hit. In 2000, Patrinell Staten Wright, who had gone on to form Seattle's phenomenally successful Total Experience Gospel Choir, was sitting at home when an English woman knocked on her door and offered to buy her copy of the 45 for $3500.

Edited by mike-
Social source share

Guest Kevin J

Mike -

Light in the Attic, the record company responsible for Wheedles Groove (the compilation and movie) sponsored our night for giveaways and promotion. Its an interesting story:

a local hiphop dj came across all of these old locally published 45s and tracked down the musicians, etc. (including patrinell staton, who is now minister patrinell staton-wright - she did "little love affair"). the dj got together with light in the attic (who also distributes vampisoul) and released the compilation + got a number of the musicians together to perform shows. this happened about 2 years ago, and they have shows about twice a month. i havent had a chance to make it to one yet, but hoping to have the time to do that soon.

i came across those ads and such researching a local record shop that existed from the late 50s until the mid-eighties. the owner, a Stella Givens, was intent on remaining in touch with the youth, and kept her shop open until midnight so that young kids in the black community would have someplace the hang out and stay out of trouble. i plan on tracking her down and interviewing her about her experiences regarding soul and the black experience in seattle during the 60s.

ill keep you posted if you are interested.

kev

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

ps - does anyone know who it was that paid the $3500 for the record? is that person on this site i wonder?

Edited by Kevin J
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!