Eddie Whitehead Info

Could this be THE "Just Your Fool" Eddie Whitehead?? Hate to to think he had no career success in music AND sports. Still, he left behind one of my favorite songs, ever....

-Mike

#52 ~ EDDIE WHITEHEAD ~ U OF L 1964-66 ~ HIGH SCHOOL: LINCOLN HEIGHTS ~ HOMETOWN: CINCINNATI, OHIO

20_1.JPG

Edited by recordwanted
Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Could this be THE "Just Your Fool" Eddie Whitehead?? Hate to to think he had no career success in music AND sports. Still, he left behind one of my favorite songs, ever....

-Mike

#52 ~ EDDIE WHITEHEAD ~ U OF L 1964-66 ~ HIGH SCHOOL: LINCOLN HEIGHTS ~ HOMETOWN: CINCINNATI, OHIO

20_1.JPG

Just your fool was out of Philadelphia, Just picked up one my self, would be interesting to see if it is him :thumbsup:

Social source share

Blackjack is definitely a Cincinnati label: it was part of Fraternity Records and the other records on the label all feature local talent like Clyde Dean, Kenny Smith and so on both in front of and behind the mike. There is a chance that this could be the EW of JYF fame. I have been told that he was killed shortly after the record came out in a shooting (this seems to be a common theory expounded about many artists we simply know nothing about) so that could be taken with a large pinch of salt.

As an aside there is a link between sports and soul that is maybe far wider than many realise. In many small towns across the USA school sports like football (US) and particularly basketball are phenomenally important to the local populace and economy. If they have a high school student who seems to be showing enough promise to lead to a famed college career and then lucrative pro career that athlete often becomes the most important person in the town, a real local celebrity, and something of a money spinner. To this end, and to heighten their profile in the wider district, the athletes in question were often coaxed into recording studios to make records. In the black community in the 60s this would have meant making soul or funk records. When I think of a few concrete examples of this phenomenon, I'll post them up, but it was surprisingly widespread. Although he was a white guy this is the score with the L. Allen and Larry Allen 45 on Green Dolphin, for example.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Blackjack is definitely a Cincinnati label: it was part of Fraternity Records and the other records on the label all feature local talent like Clyde Dean, Kenny Smith and so on both in front of and behind the mike. There is a chance that this could be the EW of JYF fame. I have been told that he was killed shortly after the record came out in a shooting (this seems to be a common theory expounded about many artists we simply know nothing about) so that could be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Funny you should mention the shooting Gareth, I remember a couple of years ago Mick H anouncing over the mike in bedford, that he had been shoot over the bonet of his car, either that week or very recently?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert