Real Soul - With Disco Influence

Guest For Real

Guest For Real

I'm looking for some new ideas for sounds that I think I would describe as having a 'heart of soul but with a disco influence'. Well, to be honest not quite sure how to describe what I'm looking for so here are some of my current favourites in this 'style' to give you an idea...

Gene Chandler - Tomorrow I may not feel the same (Chi Sound) - fantastic record for a fiver.

Creative Source - Who is he (Sussex)

Al Hudson - Spread love (ABC)

Melba Moore - Let's stand together (EMI) not sure how many people know this one? It's great feel good side, no that dissimilar from Risco Connection - and only a fiver I think!

Rare Pleasure - Let me down easy (Cheri)

Joe Simon - Love Vibration (Spring)

Charlie Mitchell - After Hours (Janus) - not that common but still only 5 - 10 quid on Ebay.

Barret Strong - You make me feel the way I do (Coup)

CL Blast - I wanna get down

I know that this type of music is not to everyone on this sites taste.... But any ideas / lists of your favourites in this style, would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Mark

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Mark

Here's a few I would class as Disco Soul

Garnet Mimms - Right Here In The Palm Of Your Hand

Bessie Banks - Baby You Sure Know How To Get To Me

Jackey Beavers - Trying To Get Back To You

and a couple of 80's club Soul sounds

D Train - Walk On By

New Jersey Connection - Love Don't Come Easy

Cheers

Pat

Social source share

Here's a few of my favourites:

Scarbrough - Make Love To You - EJ Scarbrough

Double Exposure - Everyman - Salsoul

Mighty Clouds of Joy - Glow Love - Myrrh

Street People - You're My One Weakness Girl - Vigor

Eddie Kendricks - Date With The Rain - Motown (Disco Remix Version)

Tony

Social source share

Guest stromberg

I'm looking for some new ideas for sounds that I think I would describe as having a 'heart of soul but with a disco influence'. Well, to be honest not quite sure how to describe what I'm looking for so here are some of my current favourites in this 'style' to give you an idea...

Gene Chandler - Tomorrow I may not feel the same (Chi Sound) - fantastic record for a fiver.

Melba Moore - Let's stand together (EMI) not sure how many people know this one? It's great feel good side, no that dissimilar from Risco Connection - and only a fiver I think!

Charlie Mitchell - After Hours (Janus) - not that common but still only 5 - 10 quid on Ebay.

I know that this type of music is not to everyone on this sites taste.... But any ideas / lists of your favourites in this style, would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Mark

Leon Thomas - thank you baby :thumbsup:

Moment of truth - You got me hummin' smile.gif

great stuff..

Best,

Stefan

Social source share

Thanks

Mark

Glenn Jones - I Am Somebody

Jackie Moore - This Time Baby

D Train - Walk On By

Ullanda McCulloch - Warm And Gentle Explosion

Al Wilson - Show and Tell

Al Green - Keep On Pushin Love

Donna Gardier - I'll Be There

Gwen McCrae - The Melody of Life

Herbert Hunter - I Want You Back

Arthur Miles - Helping Hand

Steve Arrington - Feel So Real

Ernie Banks - Are You Ready To Be Loved

The Mad Lads - You Blew It

Thelma Houston - Saturday Night, Sunday Morningt

Flippin' eck - this could run and run!!

Good idea though mate. smile.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Are you sure he does not mean funky/Disco Northern soul type tracks as the best i know of is Brainstorm - Lovin Is Really My Game

Other ones or classics are

The Trammps - Hold Back The Night but we all know it

Social source share

Are we saying that all the post 1972 uptempo dance cuts or "Disco" as some will have it from the likes of Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes, Teddy Pendergrass, The O'Jays, Archie Bell, Jean Carne ect on PIR, tracks from groups like Double Exposure or solo vocalists like Loleatta Holloway on Salsoul, Big Al Downing "I'll be Holding On" tracks like "Any Love" or "Clouds" from Chaka Khan, Ashford and Simpson or Candi Staton's Warners Brothers tracks, Lenny Williams ABC solo cuts, The Spinners and The Trammps seminal 70's dance records on Buddah or Atlantic, Sister Sledge's "Thinking Of You", The Two Tons of Fun's "Just Us" on Fantasy, Bobby Thurston or Sharon Redd on Prelude, Mystic Merlin on Capitol, Arthur Adams "You Got The Floor" Cut Glass "Alive With Love"or vocalists like Joycelyn Brown, Jeanie Tracy, James "D Train" Williams, Booker Newberry III, Colonel Abrams, Rochelle Fleming, Gwen Guthrie, The Emotions and Cheryl Lynn are not Soul records ?

Surely anyone interested enough to be on this forum and with that much interest in Black Dance Music can distiguish (unlike your average punter in the street who doesn't have the ability) the difference between The Detroit Emerald's version of "Feel The Need In Me" and Leif Garrett's version or tell the difference between The BeeGee's and MFSB?

Social source share

mr van DIKE you will be uncovered in time,as for the the original question,you pretty much answered it yourself,soul is soul sang from the heart,disco is just that,disco(cr*p)end of. :yes::(laugh.gif

Oh no, don't make me have to....ah f*** it...let's see it again..... :):(

dino.jpg

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Played this Saturday night at Modrapheniacs scooter rally... went down a storm :)

Hey up old luv,

Get thi playlist up!!!!

My mate Billy from Somerset rang me this morning saying the w/end was superduper mate, got invited down by Toby but didnt make this one, (probably cos I give Paul Mason some stick about the write up in Scootering Mag last year :) ) but never mind onwards to ELBA and the sunssssssssshine :D

Had a word with Pete K hope to get an invite to the I.O.W. soul function in Aug :D

Social source share

Hey up old luv,

Get thi playlist up!!!!

My mate Billy from Somerset rang me this morning saying the w/end was superduper mate, got invited down by Toby but didnt make this one, (probably cos I give Paul Mason some stick about the write up in Scootering Mag last year :D ) but never mind onwards to ELBA and the sunssssssssshine :)

Had a word with Pete K hope to get an invite to the I.O.W. soul function in Aug :D

will put up playlist on new thread... be good to see you again as its been a while... yeh rally (northern room was blinding)

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Thanks

Mark

STEPHANIE MILLS.MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :thumbsup::shades::lamsey:

https://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hur...0020&cid=600111

Social source share

take me girl i,m ready -eric mercury

shake it up tonite- cheryl lynn

do you love what you feel- rufus

fall in love-bobby king

trip to your mind-hudson people

when you look in my eyes-cherrelle

sooner or later-larry graham

nobodys waiting-atkins

i,ll cry for you-kumano (dont buy this on lp its a crap version)

you got me hung up-king tut (dont buy this at all its too expensive!!)

i,m on the real side- lisa hill (never ever seen one of these ?)

mentioning the above tracks has made me very nostalgic, i,m now going on ebay to buy a "funk belt" a "colin curtis funks your mind" badge and a 2.8i capri to go to venues, oh and hair and a slim waist unsure.gif

Social source share

take me girl i,m ready -eric mercury

shake it up tonite- cheryl lynn

do you love what you feel- rufus

fall in love-bobby king

trip to your mind-hudson people

when you look in my eyes-cherrelle

sooner or later-larry graham

nobodys waiting-atkins

i,ll cry for you-kumano (dont buy this on lp its a crap version)

you got me hung up-king tut (dont buy this at all its too expensive!!)

i,m on the real side- lisa hill (never ever seen one of these ?)

mentioning the above tracks has made me very nostalgic, i,m now going on ebay to buy a "funk belt" a "colin curtis funks your mind" badge and a 2.8i capri to go to venues, oh and hair and a slim waist :thumbsup:

Hiya Coddy,

Lisa Hill is on Cherry Hill records - 82/83 12" - still got mine. Great is'nt it. Just out on new "Destination Boogie" Cd Joey Negro comp (unmixed!) tenner at Amazon.

Social source share

Guest Soul Sid

Hi Mark. Heres a few of my favourites/recomendations out of my collection.

Crossfire-Take me back-Virtue. fantastic soulfull seventies!

Lou Roberts-Everything you always wanted to know about love- Mgm sounds of memphis. needs playing again

Anthony White-Hey baby-P.I.R by far and wide the best tune on the label, powerhouse vocals on this awesome dancer! Becoming dificult to obtain. if you havnot got a copy hurry up and get one!

Notations- Think before you stop- Gemigo. Super soulful group harmonies, with a great disco beat

Grey and Hanks-Now im fine- rca Funky Funky.

Any how that will have ta do ya for now, cause im off to me bed. Cheers. Sid

Social source share

once went to a gay bar/club with a mate of a mate and they played "candy" by first class, and also "mighty body", both of which i had heard the night before played by sam (i think) both good disco soul tracks, however later in the night they played cathedrals by dc larue and the people on the dance floor were doing strange "spire like" things with their hands, time for a kebab :wicked:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest For Real

Just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions... Many here that I don't know and will enjoy searching out - and it was good to be reminded of the handfull that I do know (Ernie Banks, Anthony White, Notations etc) - just been playing them loud - and annoying the neighbours again, no doubt.

Cheers

Mark

Social source share

Just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions... Many here that I don't know and will enjoy searching out - and it was good to be reminded of the handfull that I do know (Ernie Banks, Anthony White, Notations etc) - just been playing them loud - and annoying the neighbours again, no doubt.

Cheers

thanks for reminding of this thread, i am now playing expansions by lonnie liston smith very loud, my three kids are in bed, my two dogs are looking confused, i am wearing simpsons pyjamas and dancing around in a slighltly camp fashion, i am 46 have a very serious job and am geting very annoyed that i cant find my 12" of janice :thumbsup:

Mark

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Oh no, don't make me have to....ah f*** it...let's see it again..... :yes::P

dino.jpg

Here Bloody Here.So its ok for soul records to have a dance beat as long as its a sixties dance beat ?
Social source share

Barbara Hall - You Brought it on Yourself (1975) and of course the 'B' side to that is probably THE deepest soul sound since Bessie Banks' Go Now called Drop My Heart Off At The Door (a dave godin tip from over 30 yrs ago)

Social source share

Guest For Real

Ha! Expansions. My neighbors must LOVE that one. Brilliant for leaping round the living room to. Almost as good is Sun Goddess by Ramsey Lewis (hear the floorboards shake). I've also got a great manic version of Latin Strut on a 'Loft' compilation 12 inch - but it doesn't say who it's by.... Does anyone know?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!