Dark Forces At Work...?

Im having a fun old time trying to fight of false claims about music use in my documentary about the making of 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan'.

I paid over £7000 in total on the tunes i use in the play to PRS and i was only using snippets , not whole tunes. 

Apparently 'some' people keep claiming i don't have permission, contacting You Tube  and consequently the documentary gets blocked, i fight claims, it get released (because i paid for usage) and they look for another way to block it! Tossers , but, let them try. :) The truth will out!

So now i have the following:

• "Little Richard-I Don't Want To Discuss It", sound recording administered by:15:21
    SME Claim released.
  • "DO I LOVE YOU (INDEED I DO)", musical composition administered by:20:40
    EMI Music Publishing Your dispute awaiting response by 04/08/13
  • "I DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS IT", musical composition administered by:15:29
    The Harry Fox Agency, Inc. (HFA) Your dispute awaiting response by 04/08/13
  • "Bettye Lavette-Let Me Down Easy", sound recording administered by:14:17
    EMI Claim released.
  • "LET ME DOWN EASY", musical composition administered by:14:25
    SACEM Your dispute awaiting response by 04/08/13
    PEDL Your dispute awaiting response by 04/08/13
    Warner Chappell Your dispute awaiting response by 04/08/13
    UMPG Publishing Your dispute awaiting response by 04/08/13

ALL of these can be found in there entirety in uploads on You Tube, but no complaints or blockages..... dark forces are at work to stop the truth coming out as they try to exploit the original piece. So for those who wish to see and share the documentary, it is now on my vimeo channel to access freely and enjoy.  

Best Paul-S

Edited by paul-s
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Good luck to you Paul.

Caught the play live and shall now be viewining it on Vimeo.

These people are leeches.

Unfortunately, the large corporations do not see the writing on the wall.

A Garden In England, an new English Movie by Graham Whitely, went out tonight, free on Film 4, on demand, in the cinema, is out on DVD and available to download, all on the same day, a masterstoke in marketing, this is a very significant move indeed, and will be emulated, taking marketing power into the filmakers own hands, the power will be sucked dry out of the big studios, eventually, forcing them to re-invent themselves, which can only be good.

Same will happen to music too.

Social source share

Good luck to you Paul.

Caught the play live and shall now be viewining it on Vimeo.

These people are leeches.

Unfortunately, the large corporations do not see the writing on the wall.

A Garden In England, an new English Movie by Graham Whitely, went out tonight, free on Film 4, on demand, in the cinema, is out on DVD and available to download, all on the same day, a masterstoke in marketing, this is a very significant move indeed, and will be emulated, taking marketing power into the filmakers own hands, the power will be sucked dry out of the big studios, eventually, forcing them to re-invent themselves, which can only be good.

Same will happen to music too.

Is it a Field In England Aid?

P

Social source share

Im having a fun old time trying to fight of false claims about music use in my documentary about the making of 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan'.

I paid over £7000 in total on the tunes i use in the play to PRS and i was only using snippets , not whole tunes. 

Apparently 'some' people keep claiming i don't have permission, contacting You Tube  and consequently the documentary gets blocked, i fight claims, it get released (because i paid for usage) and they look for another way to block it! Tossers , but, let them try. :) The truth will out!

So now i have the following:

• "Little Richard-I Don't Want To Discuss It", sound recording administered by:15:21
    SME Claim released.
  • "DO I LOVE YOU (INDEED I DO)", musical composition administered by:20:40
    EMI Music Publishing Your dispute awaiting response by 04/08/13
  • "I DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS IT", musical composition administered by:15:29
    The Harry Fox Agency, Inc. (HFA) Your dispute awaiting response by 04/08/13
    EMI Claim released.
  • "LET ME DOWN EASY", musical composition administered by:14:25
    SACEM Your dispute awaiting response by 04/08/13
    PEDL Your dispute awaiting response by 04/08/13
    Warner Chappell Your dispute awaiting response by 04/08/13
    UMPG Publishing Your dispute awaiting response by 04/08/13

ALL of these can be found in there entirety in uploads on You Tube, but no complaints or blockages..... dark forces are at work to stop the truth coming out as they try to exploit the original piece. So for those who wish to see and share the documentary, it is now on my vimeo channel to access freely and enjoy.  

Best Paul-S

Who are these dark forces you mention above...

Social source share

SME Claim released.
    EMI Claim released.
  • "Bettye Lavette-Let Me Down Easy (Re-Record)", sound recording administered by:14:17
    The Orchard Music Your dispute awaiting response by 06/08/13

So, claims dropped then another appears. Every time one is released its as though someone tries to find another reason to falsely block it: 

Who the hell are ORCHARD music and what the RE-RECORD in brackets mean?  

Anyway its on Vimeo and enjoying plenty of views and sharing now. best Paul-s

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Some rights holders constantly look over the internet and tell the likes of YouTube, CD Baby that they administer the songs, when they do not. It is to try and combat the blatant copyright infringement of their true works. Youtube etc, are then obliged to contact the channel owner with the dispute to clarify. Make a template reply something like:

'Thank you for your advisory regarding Orchards claim to the rights of song XXXXXXXX. Please be advised that they have no rights with this particular song as they are administered by EMI (or whoever) who have given me permission to showcase, their email/letter/reference dated refers, copy attached etc'

Also don't forget there are two claims to each song you mention. One for the song writing/publishing (EMI Music, for example) and the other to the record label (Motown Records, for example). Indeed two copyright infringments are taking place when you upload a song you like to YouTube. And, if you use somebody else's photo or video, three infringements.

I agree rights holders have to come up with a new model to exploit the music and they always have over the years, but these days, it almost makes you want to give up being creative seeing your works uploaded without permission and still whilst you are trying to sell it, as only just released. I have had one song blatantly pirated and given away, and another is for sale on a site somewhere. All it takes is a release, then the ball of confusion starts! The songs facts become twisted, the writers and executive producers seem to get forgotten about in many cases and worse some genres of music cover the original artist and title to almost claim ownership or discovery of the track. Very sad. I feel the likes of Youtube or Soundcloud should simply lower the bandwidth and let the owners of the works/publishing decide whether to pursue infringment at that bandwidth. They  wouldn't even bother in my opinion. BUT...having my songs pirated at almost studio quality (CD 16 bit etc), is frightening labels to this degree. I am starting to see the light and am using the social media to showcase my songs like I have done on here before. I want people to like the songs, be curious about them, play them and maybe one day support and buy a track or two which will encourage me to hire studios and musicians etc...all part of the grand scheme......

Talking of which, I am currently working on 4 songs. Two are in demo form right now which I can post shortly, but three at present are getting real Philly drums done as we speak. And I am also honoured to confirm one of my co productions/writes 'Soul Recession' by Double Exposure is now available with a brand new Tom Moulton Re-mix on the Philly regrooved double CD that came out the other week. I never thought as a 19 year old in Hull that I would accompany the very songs that inspired me to write in the first place. Check out also 'Latte Straight' and 'Clearly' both works in progress and heading for a general release. Thanks to those who have already commented on 'Latte straight', especially the person who said it sounded like Gary Glitter. So now you know why song writers and labels get a little possessive about their works lol!

I think you need to renegotiate Paul with the PRS - that seems a little steep that amount of money. Remember, it's the likes of you and many on here that have given groups, writers and producers a pension in the US with your love of the music. To me, there is a scenario where everybody wins with this and for most of us I guess, seeing younger people become curious with 60's soul, is the icing on the cake......as revenue for those involved with the original production AND release on compilations, will be generated.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

So i disputed ORCHARD and got this: ITs really pissing me off that YOU TUUBE just let any  company make false claims. Whats next step?

"Bettye Lavette-Let Me Down Easy (Re-Record)", sound recording administered by:14:17

The Orchard Music Dispute rejected; claim has been reinstated.
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

That's interesting Paul. Read the last paragraph of this link about Orchard:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Orchard_(company)

Can you believe I had a track queried that I had for sale on CD Baby. I paid for the session, own the recorded works AND the song writing. If I knew how to take action I would, because for me, it is a stressful scenario when somebody claims ownership of my endeavours. 

I have very mixed feelings about copyright infringement. On the one hand, fans celebrate the music by posting it on YouTube and often with excellent mixes, and also video they have created etc but on the other because of this, why purchase the track if free, therefore no more investment from producers or new songs, because it is not worth it.

Getting back to Orchard: If they do indeed administer anything with the Bettye Lavette recording, they have very right to step in. I am a 'label' and a 'publisher' and have to protect the song writing and composition, like you or anybody else would if you were in the business. The difference is, I see a possible potential and exploitation from genuine fans who respect the music, but do not make available a full bandwidth download that screws me and the agreements I have with the Detroit musicians I had on my session for example. Remember, more sales means more residuals for those who helped created the recordings. Indeed, I think we are all pushing boundaries with the technology and maybe passionate people like you can influence the likes of YouTube to adapt their policies on copyrighted material and enhance the owners of the songs/recordings contribution and of those who seek to celebrate the music. Something will happen I am sure, in the meantime still waters.......

Don't forget and this is from another perspective, a US producer asked me on the telephone what is Northern Soul. He did not understand, but had many songs well known on the scene. This is a top writer/producer. He wanted to have his doo wop songs celebrated in the same way by Northern Soul fans. I told him the groove was different and it did not necessarily fit into the remit. He still did not get it. Then he inquired if the music was respected, how come he has had so many of his recordings bootlegged, and why was there an obsession about how cheap the records that people had found in various places, was a benefit to him. I had to try and explain that the recording was not successful when released and this scenario could get the song and recording noticed in the long term. The story is as important as the record and how it became popular and years and years later, ends up on a legitimate CD compilation and paying his pension which was never dreamed of in 1966 in the Cameo Parkway studios! And...how many groups and artists now tour on the back of Northern Soul hits? Loads. Weldon McDougall of The Four Larks personally thanked me and two others AND all those who celebrated his efforts from the 1960's, because it had given him revenue he had never expected at his age! 

So, persevere Paul...just like the writers, producers, musicians and those involved with the music you cherish, because one day, it will be one of the stories told in a movie lol!

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

SORTED AT LAST! Basically i told ORCHARD to bring it on and i would see them and my PRS certificate of payment in court!  They are proper blaggers and YOU TUBE should stop them!

SME Claim released.
    EMI Claim released.
  • "Bettye Lavette-Let Me Down Easy (Re-Record)", sound recording administered by:14:17
    The Orchard Music
    The Orchard Music Claim released.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!