Priscilla Page - Info?

boba

Does anyone have any info on singer Priscilla Page from Detroit? I'm interested in her career, if she sang with any groups, etc. Also, does anyone have a photo? This is sort of an embarassing question, but I'm wondering if she was White or Black. Her '60s sides sound super pop / White but her '70s cuts like "only yesterday" are super soulful and she sounds Black on them. 

Thanks in advance for any info.

Social source share

She was in high school in Fall 1962, when she recorded her first record ("Dreaming"/"My Letter") which was produced by Popcorn Wiley and recorded in Detroit, for Rose G Records, but later leased to L.A.'s Alcor Records (subsidiary of Everest records).  The other writer of the songs was listed as "Finney".  It was really Janie Bradford (either under an alias, or Lance Finney collected the funds for her, or that was her married name, if she was married to Lance (as is rumoured).  Her maiden name was Page, and first married name was Gilmore, during her Topper contract(1966).  She goes by the short name of "Prisca", and her current last name (married name) is Sutton.  Look up videos on Priscilla Page, and you can ask her questions directly (on comments on her Alcor and Topper records where they are uploaded).

Social source share

I'd be much surprised if there's not a least one picture and a brief biog in the sleeve notes to Kent's Dave Hamilton's Detroit series.

There are three excellent "dance" compilations plus a couple of others.

Although I doubt if there's anything that adds to Robb's post in the notes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Dave%20Hamilton%27s%20Detroit%20Dancers%20Volume

Social source share

I'd be much surprised if there's not a least one picture and a brief biog in the sleeve notes to Kent's Dave Hamilton's Detroit series.

There are three excellent "dance" compilations plus a couple of others.

Although I doubt if there's anything that adds to Robb's post in the notes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Dave%20Hamilton%27s%20Detroit%20Dancers%20Volume

I saw the CD, I didn't want to buy it just to find out the race of Priscilla, if it even said it. Does anyone have the CD and know if it confirms anything? Thanks in advance.

Social source share

She was in high school in Fall 1962, when she recorded her first record ("Dreaming"/"My Letter") which was produced by Popcorn Wiley and recorded in Detroit, for Rose G Records, but later leased to L.A.'s Alcor Records (subsidiary of Everest records). The other writer of the songs was listed as "Finney". It was really Janie Bradford (either under an alias, or Lance Finney collected the funds for her, or that was her married name, if she was married to Lance (as is rumoured). Her maiden name was Page, and first married name was Gilmore, during her Topper contract(1966). She goes by the short name of "Prisca", and her current last name (married name) is Sutton. Look up videos on Priscilla Page, and you can ask her questions directly (on comments on her Alcor and Topper records where they are uploaded).

Excellent info Robb, I'll try and get it in a note one day. Ady
Social source share

I saw the CD, I didn't want to buy it just to find out the race of Priscilla, if it even said it. Does anyone have the CD and know if it confirms anything? Thanks in advance.

Been very quickly through the booklets for the four soul-focused of Ady's Dave Hamilton CD's - can't see any picture of Priscilla (or Pepe the Poodle for that matter!) or any info that is not generally covered above.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Bob:  Here's a link to one of Priscilla's uploaded records, on which she has made and answered comments.  I suggest you ask her to contact you by PM or e-mail.

Just click on the "You-Tube" icon. and it will take you to the You-Tube page, with the discussion and Priscilla's posts.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Does anyone have any info on singer Priscilla Page from Detroit? I'm interested in her career, if she sang with any groups, etc. Also, does anyone have a photo? This is sort of an embarassing question, but I'm wondering if she was White or Black. Her '60s sides sound super pop / White but her '70s cuts like "only yesterday" are super soulful and she sounds Black on them. 

Thanks in advance for any info.

I think if you listen carefully to the last few bars of "You Did" Where she hollers "man you stayed out all night long... I am at home with no money.... what did you do to make me mad , complete with audible slap on the face (Genius)  I dont think there is any doubt that she is anything other than a young black girl,  she is soulful and shoutin

On the " I'm pretending" side she sounds so smooth, I would not have had any any idea of her colour

class 45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzLrLrv3Ls

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

I think if you listen carefully to the last few bars of "You Did" Where she hollers "man you stayed out all night long... I am at home with no money.... what did you do to make me mad , complete with audible slap on the face (Genius)  I dont think there is any doubt that she is anything other than a young black girl,  she is soulful and shoutin

class 45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzLrLrv3Ls

been told that by Detroiters

Yes Gaz, I'm almost positive she was African-American (Black).  I'm pretty sure I've been told that by Detroiters who were adults in the '60s, and in the music business there (Ron Murphy and a few others).  Maybe Lorraine Chandler could tell us?  Most of the artists/writers either knew each other, or knew friends of the others.  I may have even seen a photo of her, years ago.  But I'm sure there's something behind my feeling of being sure.

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Yes Gaz, I'm almost positive she was African-American (Black).  I'm pretty sure I've been told that by Detroiters who were adults in the '60s, and in the music business there (Ron Murphy and a few others).  Maybe Lorraine Chandler could tell us?  Most of the artists/writers either knew each other, or knew friends of the others.  I may have even seen a photo of her, years ago.  But I'm sure there's something behind my feeling of being sure.

Hi Rob

she sounds like she recorded the topper stuff when she was young,....like in her early / mid teens maybe 

2 great 45s on topper

production is fantasic

I have not heard any of her later things.

Social source share

Here's her first release, - original label of the Alcor leased cuts: 

Priscillapage4_zps3d3887ec.png

The ZTSC number places it in mid 1962 (July?).  The Alcor release was in October.  Popcorn Wylie ran the day-to day operations of the label.  We didcussed this release on Soulful Detroit Forum years ago.  Ron Murphy told us who the owner/financier was (Rose G?).  But, I have forgotten.  Does anyone know who Rose G /owner was?  The publisher was "Brown & Green".  Might that have been Frank Brown and Rose Green?  I doubt that it was Fred Brown, otherwise Joe Hunter would have run the session, rather than Popcorn Wylie.

Does anyone know any other records on this label?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Hi Rob

she sounds like she recorded the topper stuff when she was young,....like in her early / mid teens maybe 

2 great 45s on topper

production is fantasic

I have not heard any of her later things.

Priscilla was either 16 or 17 in 1962, when she recorded the Rose-G/Alcor cuts, and, thus 20 or 21 when her Topper cuts were recorded in 1966.

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Here's her first release, - original label of the Alcor leased cuts: 

Priscillapage4_zps3d3887ec.png

The ZTSC number places it in mid 1962 (July?).  The Alcor release was in October.  Popcorn Wylie ran the day-to day operations of the label.  We didcussed this release on Soulful Detroit Forum years ago.  Ron Murphy told us who the owner/financier was (Rose G?).  But, I have forgotten.  Does anyone know who Rose G /owner was?  Does anyone know any other records on this label?

that record sounds to me like a early motown record

Its really nice with a latin mood going on

her voice again, she does not sound it any way afro american on this 45

But I suppose Mary Wells and Ms Ross could sound this white in 62?

I see where Harvey "any way you wanna" on tri phi came from

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Priscilla was either 16 or 17 in 1962, when she recorded the Rose-G/Alcor cuts, and, thus 20 or 21 when her Topper cuts were recorded in 1966.

Thanks Rob

an intriguing and totally unknown singer for me

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

now I realize I've further confused myself. "only yesterday" is by "priscilla price". the early '60s records are by "priscilla page". They're different people right? There is no similarity in the voices.

They are definitely two different people.  But, I'm still fairly sure that Priscilla Page is an "African-American".  But, I don't want to ask her that question, as I think it might be considered rude, coming out of the blue from a stranger, out of any context.

Social source share

Bob, did you go to the You-Tube videos with commentary, and ask her to contact you?  perhaps you could send her a personal message on whatever message service You-Tube uses (is it Google?), and you could, at the same time, tell her in a comment thread of one of her songs (the Alcor record) that you have sent her the PM, and she can find it in her in box.

Social source share

it actually is almost impossible to send a message via youtube now, i've tried, i think you have to use google+ now which I don't use. i also don't wanna ask "Hi, just wondering, are you Black?"

Not surprising.  If it would be okay to do that, I'd already have done it.  But you have a lot of other questions that you'd like to ask her about her career.  Often I get a personal message sent to me through my Yahoo e-mail.  I guess that comes because Yahoo Mail is affiliated with Google, and has automatically made me a member.  I don't use Facebook or Twitter, or any other message service.  I wouldn't want to list my e-mail address on a You-Tube thread.

Social source share

Bob.  I clicked on Prisca Sutton's name, and it sent me to her private You-Tube page.  There is a click button to send her a message.  It states that the link to her answer will be sent to my e-mail via Google +.   Would you like me to relay an e-mail address or messaging service user name you use to her so she can contact you?  I would tell her that you are a DJ/music historian who wants to learn more specifics about her career.  Or, if not, do you have specific questions that you'd like me to ask her?

Robb

Social source share

About 15 years ago my mate Dave Phones sent me a tape of the a local radio show from Telford, called "Basement Soul"

which included on its play list Priscilla's "Only Yesterday" .

I found it so stunning I just had to get a copy and as it was before Ebay, I paid over the top at the time to get one from

Craig Moerer.

Released on Geneva and BASF , a Jimmy Roach arrangement.

Sorry I don't know any more about her than this gut wrenching ballad

And apologies didn't mean to appear patronising over the Kent compilation references.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

About 15 years ago my mate Dave Phones sent me a tape of the a local radio show from Telford, called "Basement Soul"

which included on its play list Priscilla's "Only Yesterday" .

I found it so stunning I just had to get a copy and as it was before Ebay, I paid over the top at the time to get one from

Craig Moerer.

Released on Geneva and BASF , a Jimmy Roach arrangement.

Sorry I don't know any more about her than this gut wrenching ballad

And apologies didn't mean to appear patronising over the Kent compilation references.

So, Priscilla Page IS Priscilla Price, after all, and used "Priscilla Price" as a stage name in the 1970s? 

I knew that Geneva was a Detroit label, and Jimmy Roach worked out of Detroit during the 1970s.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So, Priscilla Page IS Priscilla Price, after all, and used "Priscilla Price" as a stage name in the 1970s? 

I knew that Geneva was a Detroit label, and Jimmy Roach worked out of Detroit during the 1970s.

you're taking a probably mislabelled youtube video as evidence of this or am I missing something?

Social source share

you're taking a probably mislabelled youtube video as evidence of this or am I missing something?

Yes.  You are missing the fact that I placed a question mark after my sentence referring to the uploader listing Priscilla Price as "Priscilla Page".  I have never seen any information proving that they are the same person.  The fact that Prisca Sutton has commented on Priscilla Page's Alcor and Topper uploads, and NOT on Priscilla Price's records leads me to believe that it IS a mislabeling only, as you guess.   

Social source share

Here are 2 extracts from my sleevenotes which don't add that much but a little. I'll speak to Darrell/Rony soon.

Priscilla Page’s name was Priscilla Gilmore by the time of her Topper contract. She had already had a release in 1962, ‘My Letter’ / ‘Dreaming’ that came out on Detroit labels Rose G and then Alcor out of NYC. ‘I’m Pretending’ was issued in two forms. We put the original release on CDKEND 154; this is the remix with less percussion and other more subtle changes. ‘Shoo Be Doo Be (Now That You’re Gone)’ is the last of the Topper releases to be issued by Kent (excluding the white rock release by the Decisions). It is admittedly a rather twee duet with Rony Darrel, but still has charm and some good moments.

14. THROW THE POOR DOG A BONE (Dave Hamilton, Rony Darrell, Priscilla Gilmore) PRISCILLA PAGE & PEPE THE POODLE (1965)

Dave’s enthusiasm for this song is reflected on the original tape box where he has written “throw the damn dog a bone”. Whether it was the inanity of the song or the problems that he had in adding the barking sound affects, we can’t be sure, but he seemed to have had a hard time with it judging by the number of false start and aborted incomplete versions he left on tape. Priscilla Page (real surname Gilmore) co-wrote it with Dave and Darrell after Louise Sheely, (the wife of one of the label’s backers, Ted Sheely, who played piano on the session) suggested it. It’s a harmless enough girly dancer; if you can stand that barking. Darrell remembers Motown’s Uriel Jones being the drummer on this session.

This and the flip ‘I’m Pretending’ were re-mixed and re-pressed by Topper because the original Roberts recording machine that they used left the over-dubbed horns out of synch with the rest of the music.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!