Mirwood question

Tricky

I bought almost all the Mirwood and Mira records in Los Angeles near the time they were released, and they were ALL the script, both in DJ and store stock.  I NEVER saw any block print on store stock, or even DJ issues back in the day.  I never saw any block print on those 2 labels ANYWHERE in USA back in the '60s, despite looki9ng through literally millions of US 45s.  I would guess the block print 45s are '70s or early '80s boots.  IF there were legit WDJs with block print, they must have been a very small batch done in an emergency , probably on The East Coast. 

Social source share

Found that most releases have at least two DEMO variations and Stock Copy.

Never seen Block Print issues though.

Amazed to find Double "A Side and A/B Side" MONARCH DEMOs for 5523.

Making three DEMO variations so far and even more Stock Copy Variations.

Always gave me hope of finding a My Little Girl DEMO 5511 but alas one probably doesn't exist.

MONARCH :

DELTA # 62723 = BABY, DO THE PHILLY DOG
DELTA # 62740 = WESTERN MOVIES

MIRWOOD_5523-A_DJa_Monarch_zps8aa7d435.jMIRWOOD_5523-A_DJb_Monarch_zps960d9303.j STYRENE
MIRWOOD_5523-A_DJ_Monarch_zpscf7a6e53.jpMIRWOOD_5523-B_DJ_Monarch_zpscdf490b1.jp STYRENE
MIRWOOD_5523-A_Monarch_S_zps3ae82689.jpgMIRWOOD_5523-B_Monarch_S_zps9fc52d44.jpg STYRENE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIRWOOD_5523-A_DJa_zpsb5863afc.jpgMIRWOOD_5523-A_DJb_zpsc1928b28.jpg STYRENE
MIRWOOD_5523-A_zps089cc3c5.pngMIRWOOD_5523-B_zps85820780.jpg STYRENE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIRWOOD_5523-A_Monarch_V_zps450ef836.jpgMIRWOOD_5523-B_Monarch_V_zpsd28beddd.jpg VINYL
This one does have the Monarch Delta # even though it is Vinyl.
Slightly different Label Layout to Styrene Monarch.

Guessing there's a DEMO out there for the Pressing Plant below.

MIRWOOD_5523-A_V_zps7cf0abe1.jpgMIRWOOD_5523-B_V_zpsef065179.jpg VINYL

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, TRICKY said:

Thanks for the replies,thought i was going crackers.

Deffo real Robb in my opinion. Mate has the Sheppards and have it in my head the Belles as well.

Trev

Yes they look real enough. They must have come from an extremely small press run, as I had seen hundreds of script white DJs and never saw the block design.  I was looking in L.A. 2-3 days each week during those years.  And for 3 months in Chicago, as well.  As I stated above, I would guess it's an East Coast pressing, as I had lots of coverage on The West Coast, and in The Midwest.  These DJs were likely pressed BEFORE any Mirwood store stockers were ever pressed.  So, that block print MAY represent the initial label design, which might have been changed during the first small press run batch, and subsequent runs used the script design, and, thus, ALL store stock runs used the script.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, 45cellar said:

Found that most releases have at least two DEMO variations and Stock Copy.

Never seen Block Print issues though.

Amazed to find Double "A Side and A/B Side" MONARCH DEMOs for 5523.

Making three DEMO variations so far and even more Stock Copy Variations.

Always gave me hope of finding a My Little Girl DEMO 5511 but alas one probably doesn't exist.

MONARCH :

DELTA # 62723 = BABY, DO THE PHILLY DOG
DELTA # 62740 = WESTERN MOVIES

MIRWOOD_5523-A_DJa_Monarch_zps8aa7d435.jMIRWOOD_5523-A_DJb_Monarch_zps960d9303.j STYRENE
MIRWOOD_5523-A_DJ_Monarch_zpscf7a6e53.jpMIRWOOD_5523-B_DJ_Monarch_zpscdf490b1.jp STYRENE
MIRWOOD_5523-A_Monarch_S_zps3ae82689.jpgMIRWOOD_5523-B_Monarch_S_zps9fc52d44.jpg STYRENE

MIRWOOD_5523-A_DJa_zpsb5863afc.jpgMIRWOOD_5523-A_DJb_zpsc1928b28.jpg STYRENE
MIRWOOD_5523-A_zps089cc3c5.pngMIRWOOD_5523-B_zps85820780.jpg STYRENE

MIRWOOD_5523-A_Monarch_V_zps450ef836.jpgMIRWOOD_5523-B_Monarch_V_zpsd28beddd.jpg VINYL
This one does have the Monarch Delta # even though it is Vinyl.
Slightly different Label Layout to Styrene Monarch.

Guessing there's a DEMO out there for the Pressing Plant below.

MIRWOOD_5523-A_V_zps7cf0abe1.jpgMIRWOOD_5523-B_V_zpsef065179.jpg VINYL

The Delta icon doesn't ALWAYS indicate Monarch.  The Delta signifies ALCO Steel Co.  (Allied Steel).  They served BOTH Monarch, and also Allied Pressing Plant (affiliated with Allied Record Distributing Co. (ARDCO).  Monarch used vinyl once in a while, but not very much at all during the mid '60s (more in the '70s).  ARDCO used vinyl off and on all through the '60s (although they also used styrene much more than vinyl). 

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Interesting, that that 6201 W. Santa Monica Blvd. address for ALCO, was exactly 4 blocks east of ARDCO's address listed on their record sleeves: 1041 Las Palmas Ave., which was at the corner of that street and Santa Monica Blvd.  So, their record distributorship was basically next to their metal parts manufacturing plants.

Social source share

What's interesting about that Sheppards' release was that The Sheppards didn't record directly for Mirwood in L.A., but that it was a Chicago production, leased to Mirwood.  Eddie LaShea worked in Chicago for Johnny Pate, thus Pate's Pamco publishing.  So, why would Mirwood single out a leased record for "international availability", and not do that with their own productions?  There was no Northern Soul scene in 1967, and The Sheppards cuts, although quite good, were no more marketable to music fans worldwide, than most of the other Mirwood uptempo cuts.

Social source share

6 hours ago, RobbK said:

What's interesting about that Sheppards' release was that The Sheppards didn't record directly for Mirwood in L.A., but that it was a Chicago production, leased to Mirwood.  Eddie LaShea worked in Chicago for Johnny Pate, thus Pate's Pamco publishing.  So, why would Mirwood single out a leased record for "international availability", and not do that with their own productions?  There was no Northern Soul scene in 1967, and The Sheppards cuts, although quite good, were no more marketable to music fans worldwide, than most of the other Mirwood uptempo cuts.

Also notice its the "b side" that it says "Available World-wide"on, not the A side? 

Social source share

1 hour ago, El Corol said:

Also notice its the "b side" that it says "Available World-wide"on, not the A side? 

I think they were just trying to save printing costs by not putting it on both.  I sincerely doubt that they were trying to warn the foreign DJs to avoid playing "Stubborn Heart".  :rofl:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!