A Steinways Pictorial

To further muddy the waters with regard to the Steinways touring the UK as the FABULOUS PLATTERS in 67 ....

The real group had toured the UK 3 times between 1955 & 1960 (they toured Europe in 1958 too, but I have no knowledge of any UK shows that year). For the vast majority of the shows during those tours, the billboards had them shown as the FABULOUS PLATTERS ....

As the Glories were active from 1967, I guess that UK tour was what must have finished the Steinways off. It must have discouraged the old guys in the group & hastened them quitting the music biz.  

PlattersNewcstlGig56.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

A few more related bits ...

Seems when the real group toured here in the 50's, they were billed as the Fabulous Platters but when they got back to the States after their 1958 trip to Europe, the ads called them the Flying Platters (I guess coz it was unusual for a black group to be flying all around Europe & then to & from the States as well). At that time the publicity for their trip & for a following stint at the Flamingo Hotel in Vegas was in full swing, the Laddins were doing well too & had just been signed to top booking agency, Universal Attractions.

The 1st of their Oliver 45's (the biggie) got quite a bit of coverage at the time of it's release, especially in US music trade mags. Seems the publishing company (Saturday Music) put quite a bit of effort into pushing the 45 too. Their 2nd Oliver release (in Oct 66) actually got a lot more review space in trade mags than their 1st effort.

LaddinsPlatters58.jpg

Steinways66.jpg

CashBox45sOct66b.jpg

• Up vote 3
Social source share

The Laddins were an all male line-up for most of their life except for a brief period and one 45 when Frankie Gearing joined.

Laddins biography courtesy of Andrew Hamilton......

Originating from Harlem, NY, in the mid-'50s, the Laddins carved an unspectacular recording career from 1957 to 1964 on a succession of hotdog-stand recording companies. The originals members were David "Pinky" Coleman (lead), Ernest "Micky" Goody (first tenor), Early "E.J." Marcus (lead/second tenor), and John Marcus (baritone). Bobby Jay (bass) joined in 1957 and missed seemingly their only early photo session, which depicts the Laddins as a quartet. They scored a now-sought-after single that did little when released, entitled "Did It," on Central Records in 1957. Disappointed, Central allowed scheduled releases for 1958, "My Baby's Left Me" and "I'm Falling In Love," to gather dust. 

"Yes, Oh Baby Yes" appeared on Grey Cliff Records in 1959; but history repeated itself as proposed follow-ups, "Eternally" and "So Long Darling," never were released. Their next release was "Come On" on Isle in 1960; but its pre-picked successor, "A Certain Kind of Love," was shelved. Initially, companies loved the Laddins, but withdrew the adulation after their first singles with the labels bombed. 

Their most popular failure came courtesy of Theater Records in 1961. The two-sided pleaser, "Oh How I Hate to Go Home" and "There Was Once a Time," was their only known release on the short-lived label. 

After two 1962 releases, "I'll Kiss Your Teardrops Away" b/w "If You Need Me, I'll Be There" on Angie and "Try, Try Again" on Groove, the Laddins left the Big Apple for the Big Orange (Miami, FL). You seldom hear of entertainers leaving New York City for recording opportunities, but that's exactly what they did the winter of 1962. In the interim, Angie unleashed "Push, Shake, Kick and Shout" in late 1962; Bardell Records reissued it in 1963. 

The Laddins refreshed their lineup with new lead singer Yvonne "Frankie" Gearing, Alfred Ellis, and Dizzy Jones, joining Goody and the Marcus brothers; other members came and went but these were the main cogs. (Bobby Jay joined the military.) The new group had one single on Butane Records, "Dream Baby" b/w "Dizzy Jones Birdland," in 1964 before evolving into the Steinways, a group with a similar sound to Motown's Elgins and Philadelphia's Formations. 

Bobby Jay later worked as a DJ at WWRL and WCBS-FM in New York City, and stations in Augustus, GA; Memphis, TN; and Newark, NJ. Billboard honored him as Air Personality of the Year in 1977. Jay also acted off-Broadway, hosted a magazine-style talk show, appeared in the soap Guiding Light, and toiled as a record producer. He appeared sometimes in a revamped lineup of Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers with Lymon's brother, Lewis Lymon; long-time stand in Jimmy Castor; and original members Jimmy Merchant and Herman Santiago. 

Frankie Gearing sang with the Coeds, the Steinways (which also included Goody and the Marcus brothers), the Glories, Quiet Elegance, and recorded as a solo artist. She also relocated to her hometown, St. Petersburg, FL, where she's a popular entertainer. David Coleman is deceased. Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis toiled for years as a saxophonist for James Brown. The whereabouts of the others are unknown.

Social source share

... BY ANY CHANCE .....

Are there any Soul Sourcers who saw the Steinways perform in the UK as the FABULOUS PLATTERS back in 67 / 68 ?? ....

By then, Roy Tempest's scams were becoming to be known, so some top soul clubs (such as the Wheel) had mostly stopped booking his acts. So, the venues I was attending then (Mojo; Nite Owl; Skyline,Hull; Wheel) didn't have the group on.

A review I saw of a show they did in the London area said that they were one of the most exiting live soul groups the guy had ever seen ... I'd love to get input from someone on here about any performances they witnessed. I'd guess Frankie Gearing would have been with them on that trip (as the real Platters were a male & 1 female mixed gender group -- see pictures of both groups in the 60's in my 1st two posts above). They must have performed a couple of the Platters 50's big pop hits and then done their Musicor stuff too.  

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2018 at 11:15, chalky said:

The Laddins refreshed their lineup with new lead singer Yvonne "Frankie" Gearing, Alfred Ellis, and Dizzy Jones, joining Goody and the Marcus brothers; other members came and went but these were the main cogs. (Bobby Jay joined the military.) The new group had one single on Butane Records, "Dream Baby" b/w "Dizzy Jones Birdland," in 1964 before evolving into the Steinways, a group with a similar sound to Motown's Elgins and Philadelphia's Formations. 

I've tried to find a little information on Davey "Dizzy" Jones, but not much comes up other than a few mentions by Henry Stone and other tiny tidbits proving he was there (on stage vocal battles with Little Willie John comes up a few times). "Dizzy Jones Birdland" was pretty much a promotional song for the Birdland club. Both the Laddins and Mar-Vells (aka Fabulettes) are on that track and it was released by both groups. The recording was done the day JFK was assassinated.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Glories certainly hit the ground running from the day the new group was formed ... they seemed to be constantly out on tour of various chitlin circuit venues down the eastern seaboard ... 4 separate packages that played the Howard Theatre in DC that they were part of ... 

GloriesMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Bit late replying to this Roburt but saw the Steinways as the Platters at Sheffield Black Swan pub on that tour. They were really good and didn’t actually do that much Platters stuff but just did various 60s soul 

standards. They did great impressions of various soul groups dance routines saying the most exciting group of them

all were the Vibrations. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Heck, the Mucky Duck, I've been there a few times back in the day (ain't it where Joe Cocker cut his teeth in the music biz).

Didn't know they had soul acts on there though. BTW, The Fabulous Platters / Steinways toured the UK sometime in 1967 or very early 68 ... their act was described as one of the most exciting soul shows ever witnessed in this country at the time.  

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Your right they didn't have soul acts on generally. That was the only I knew of.  It was always a rock pub - awful place to be honest. 

I know Joe Cocker did play there over the years but back in his Vance Arnold days etc I think he played all around the place. Never was a fan although growing up in Sheffield 60's/early 70's saw him various times - couldn't avoid him.

Social source share

On 07/08/2018 at 19:29, alleyoop said:

Your right they didn't have soul acts on generally. That was the only I knew of.  It was always a rock pub - awful place to be honest. 

I know Joe Cocker did play there over the years but back in his Vance Arnold days etc I think he played all around the place. Never was a fan although growing up in Sheffield 60's/early 70's saw him various times - couldn't avoid him.

He was on at my first Sheffield haunt (the Mojo) a couple of times, plus the Esquire of course and even the Wheel (a couple of summer gigs there in the late 60's). I never liked his rock stuff, but I do really like his version of the Impressions "I've Been Trying" (cut @ the Mojo).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

On 02/08/2018 at 21:05, the yank said:

Record World- July 1967

glories.jpg

Bob Yorey again. He was also involved with Laddins and Mar-Vells (aka Fabulettes) as you can see from the label image in my previous post.

There was a lot of Miami-New York connections with him. Is he still around? I had his e-mail address a few years ago.

Social source share

On 02/08/2018 at 20:05, the yank said:

Record World- July 1967

glories.jpg

It was this package of soul stars that the above article refers to when it mentions the Glories gig @ the Howard Theatre in DC ... the package played the theatre for 7 days, ending the stay there on Thursday 1st June 67. Guess their week @ the Apollo followed on after these shows. 

HowardGloriesMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!