Snookum - Producer

Anyone got any info on the producer Snookum? Assuming he’s from Chicago as he seems to have produced a lot of the Brainstorm stuff...

Only been able to find it was a nickname given to him by another producer and that he may have been a member of the Master Keys?

Think that was from Robb K on a Chicago forum...

@RobbK do you have any other info? 

Social source share

On 25/08/2018 at 02:37, Ahoy Sailor said:

Anyone got any info on the producer Snookum? Assuming he’s from Chicago as he seems to have produced a lot of the Brainstorm stuff... Only been able to find it was a nickname given to him by another producer and that he may have been a member of the Master Keys?  Think that was from Robb K on a Chicago forum...  RobbK do you have any other info?

His real name was Issac "Snookum" Russell, who was a Jazz and Boogie Woogie pianist, first in George Lewis' Band, out of New Orleans, then in Paul Bascomb's band(out of Chicago), and, later head of his own bands, headquartered in Chicago.  They used to tour The Midwest and The South throughout most of the 1930s, '40s, and '50s. He recorded well into the early mid 1970s.  In addition to Russell, their members included: J. J. Johnson, Fats Navarro, Ray Brown, Tommy Turrentine and Herbie Phillips.

He was the chief of A&R of Brainstorm Records (maybe he was even co-owner).  He may also have been the piano player in "The Master Keys" instrumental group.  I think he also may possibly have been one of "The Key Masters",  who were a group of producers, who produced sessions for The Master Key Distributors' group of labels (Master Key, Lovelite, Lock, Locket, Erica, Red Balloon, Broach, Quality Sound, McVoutie, Jay-Tee, etc.-late 1960s-early 1970s), of which Clarence Johnson, Johnny Cameron, William Bagsby, Johnny and Terry Thompson, and Byron Gregory may have been members (surely at least the first three).  However, I didn't find his name on any Twin Stacks Records (Brainstorm's sister label).

If you know of a Chicago Soul Music or general Chicago music forum, please lead me to it!  The only other Soul Music forums

I participate on are "Soulful Detroit Forum", and "Soulful Detroit Motown Forum", as well as a Doo-Wop/Vocal Group Harmony forum, on which I am the only member from Chicago (or even The Midwest).

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 25/08/2018 at 02:37, Ahoy Sailor said:

Anyone got any info on the producer Snookum? Assuming he’s from Chicago as he seems to have produced a lot of the Brainstorm stuff...

Only been able to find it was a nickname given to him by another producer and that he may have been a member of the Master Keys?

Think that was from Robb K on a Chicago forum...

@RobbK do you have any other info? 

As I gave you the answer to your question, and you never returned, I want to find out if you are satisfied with it.  Please let me know, when you read it.  Thanks.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 13:57, RobbK said:

As I gave you the answer to your question, and you never returned, I want to find out if you are satisfied with it.  Please let me know, when you read it.  Thanks.

Sorry Robb been busy at work the past couple of days and not been able to get on, many thanks for the answer.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!