New York Monster

Soulfulsolutions

Gene Toones - What more do you want.mp3Northern monster in tip top condition up for grabs…..
PM any questions or to reserve.

Gene Toones – What more do you want – Simco 30000 WD M- OFFERS SOLD

Simco Music was owned by Richard Simpson, a prominent 60s jazz and gospel producer. His short flirtation with the soul genre around 66-67, was captured in 4 releases, 3 by Gene and another by Sandy Wynns. None appeared to scale the heights they needed to provide the stardom they sought. This tiny New York label distributed by Bell Records has proven to be yet another example of a humble source of Northern gold, with “What more do you want” fantasised over by probably everyone ever to pass through the scene.

Genes own career looked bleak, drifting aimlessly around various labels, cutting no more than a handful of tracks for the likes of Anette, Chumley and Wand, even the national proved a fruitless enterprise. With no obvious record of success, this wonderfully athletic vocalist appears to have been satisfied with his lot, surviving on these meagre opportunities to express his musical talent. This Jesse Herring production is pure class though, sailing along on a sea of trumpets, drums rolling like surf and the backing girls surfacing like mermaids the deep. Gene recorded as Eugene Toon on a Locus label LP in the late 70s, returning to his Gospel roots, which clearly guided his divine rich voice.

Vinyl is Mint Minus, graded conservatively, the top side stunning and only some light sleeve lines on the flip. Bell sound and Shelly stamped original of course. Labels are clean and sharp white, with only light label ripple on the top side where the glue around the centre hole has not stood the test of time. This is reported as a typical thing for Shelly pressing plant labels and be assured It’s not coming away any decade soon! You're not gonna want to upgrade this, unless it’s a Blue stocker!

Minimum offer is £3000.  I’ll let it run for a few days, unless I get one I can’t refuse.

Content with PayPal by friends or add 4% for your own assurance, or I can take bank transfers.

Postage:
Overseas on request

Cheers, Lee.

1091194542_Sim3.jpg.f262c1973b18306bd630af5eb8efe6ec.jpg 1501295851_Sim1.jpg.4dff4c47de33d1e16c2174e41ff15921.jpg

505675867_Sim5.jpg.721c6b6c591a8cbc6bf2cd246e719eda.jpg 1858880669_Sim2.jpg.e8b0261b9e1e6ee21980deaaae5d46e9.jpg
Edited by SoulfulSolutions
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!