Henry Reginald Hines

Roburt

Henry Hines came from Greenville, Mississippi and was a big wheel there in the music biz. He ran numerous record labels, wrote loads of songs, arranged & produced tracks & more. He worked under a number of different names, many being variations of H R Hines. However, after marrying Vicki Williams he used the name Lynn Williams at times & his production company was titled Lynn's Productions. After initially working with New Orleans acts and cutting tracks in NO, he relocated his work base to Greenville but then in the 70's moved it to Chicago.

Quite a few bits online about his labels and music career ...   

https://greenvilleandbeyond.wordpress.com/discography/

https://greenvilleandbeyond.wordpress.com/about/

https://www.discogs.com/artist/2242924-Henry-R-Hines

https://www.discogs.com/label/857628-Lynns-Prod

But in the stuff I've trawled up on him, it never once makes mention of him being a radio DJ and yet he's listed here as being associated with Greenville radio stn WESY in late 1965. The radio stn location plus the track listing (all R&B cuts) would certainly seem to suggest it's the same guy ... yet there was no WESY radio, in Greenville or anywhere else that I can find info on. There is a WESC radio in Greenville but that radio stn has always been a C&W stn & that Greenville is in Sth Carolina. 

I can't find info on any R&B radio stn in Greenville though there are a few gospel ones listed.

However, a track cut by his wife has been posted up on Youtube and the pictures on this show a flyer that includes a picture of Vicki & a listing of radio stns that played her tracks ... WESC is included in that listing ... Very strange. 

soul HenryHinesDJ

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Apart from the above WESY play listing from November 1965, I've now found the radio stn listed on 2 music mag ads (see below). One from 1972, the other from 1979. The stn also gets noted on an ad for a Dramatics release in 1976.

So the stn must have been broadcasting for at least 14 years but I can't find out anything (else) about it.

soul SwampDogg45ad72

soul WESY79ad

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I believe much of Henry Hines labels unsold stock (both from Greenville and Chicago) ended up with John Anderson / Soul Bowl ... so I guess that means the majority of his old label's stuff now resides with UK soul collectors.

I believe John had so many copies of lots of these 45's that he found it difficult to sell them all .... I guess lots would have ended up in his soul packs over time.

I've been in touch with a couple of friends on the Southern Soul list and they have provided me with a bit more info on radio stn WESY ...  it seems that the station operated from 1957-1958 (WESY-AM -- Leland, Mississippi) with ownership by New Ark Broadcasting Co. Joseph S. Zuccaro sold most of his stake in the stn in 1970.  In September 1968 Paul C. Artman, co-manager of WESY, and a partner of his applied to the FCC to add an FM station based out of Greenville, Mississippi. Sometime between 1958 & 1965 WESY-AM must have been relocated to Greenville. The stn was still broadcasting in 1980 because another Southern Soul member visited it then & took some photographs there of the place & one of it's DJ's.

Henry Hines seemed to stand by lots of his acts and cut numerous tracks on them (Alex Spearman being one). 

soul HenryHinesLabels

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Greenville & Beyond is my website, let me know if you have any other questions.  The radio station call sign is indeed shown on the flyer posted up on the Vicki Williams page.  I spent 10 years trying to piece it all together.  I never paid attention to any radio station involvement because it didn't really come up.  Last year I finally spoke to several remaining family members, 2 branches resulting from Mr Hines' indiscretions which did not know of the existence of each other.  I have one more artist, label & record to add but at this stage I consider my work on the project to be done.  It's an insane story, most of which I haven't added to the site but the release, artist, historical & locale info is all there. I talked to John Anderson regarding it all a few years back too, he helped tell the story of what happened to the stock & how he got into it.  He also had some related paperwork which was added to the site.  I'd take any credits of Hines songwriting etc with a grain of salt, he was an expert at taking credit where it wasn't due.

Edited by Kris Holmes
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert