Mel Hueston RIP / James and Bobby Purify / Ben Moore ?

Apologies if this has been covered before (Please direct me)

I was looking at the 2 singles my Mel Heuston and nothing came up until a search revealed this (RIP).

"Mell was born on December 23, 1941 in Toledo, Ohio to James and Lee Anna Hueston. Mell joined the Army in 1960 after completion of Boot Camp; he was deployed to France where he spent most of his six years, in Special Services, which included the Honor Guard. Mell was a man who enjoyed entertaining, be it singing, spinning records as a D.J. and hosting many gatherings with friends and family at home. He was blessed to have the opportunity to tour with Bobby Purify as James Purify, performing such songs as “I’m Your Puppet” for about ten years. Mell was a Fourth Degree Knight with the Knights of Columbus. Mell worked for Costco in Goleta from the time they opened until 2013."

https://www.independent.com/obits/2019/07/18/melvin-hueston-obituary/

My issue is that WIKI states

Although "I'm Your Puppet" was their biggest hit, they had several further successes on both the Billboard Hot 100 and R&B chart in the US in the late 1960s, including a revival of "Shake a Tail Feather", originally by The Five Du-Tones, and "Let Love Come Between Us".  Oliver's cover of the twosome's 1968 hit "I Can Remember" reached the top 25 of the Billboard Easy Listening Chart in the mid summer of 1970. The duo continued to record and tour together until 1971, when Dickey retired from the music business for health reasons and returned to Tallahassee, where he worked as a city maintenance supervisor as well as singing and playing guitar with his church and as a member of the Bethlehem Male Singers.

James Purify then worked as a solo singer until 1974, when Penn introduced him to Ben Moore (James B. Moore, born 1941, Atlanta, Georgia). Moore had previously worked with Otis Redding, James Brown and as a member of Jimmy Tig and the Rounders, before forming half of the duo Ben and Spence, who recorded for Atlantic Records in the 1960s. Moore adopted the stage name "Bobby Purify", and the duo toured together until the 1980s. They re-recorded "I'm Your Puppet", which became a number 12 hit in the UK in 1976, and an album, Purify Bros..

I will leave it to the experts to help with correct info please as well as confirm if Mel is same singer in the singles

Mel.jpg

Mel 1.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Get involved with Soul Source