Little foreign gems

Bologna is a favourite city for just about everything. It's beautiful and full of history and good food. It's a university city and has a dynamic night scene. I've seen both of the above in Bologna. New Colour was in the Covo club where I picked up the above  45 from the venue which I think is lovely.  Francesca Gramegna was seen at Numa Club which has a fabulous light show and is full of Italian verve and is 'La Dolce Vita' personified. 

Edited by Dukeburgundy
Remembered club name
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Power of the Spotify perhaps Benji?

Spent my 37th Birday in Miami, went shopping and found nothing, nada, Liza my wife however had so many bags of cloths and what not, muggins had to carry half them, the only upside was we went for a coffee in a starucks and on came Spiral Staircase, saved my birthday that did because I was a right moody buggar. 

ahhhh the throws of youth...

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Croatia camping site back in 2019. Lovely outdoor bar right at the sea. Usual sundowner background music was electronic Ibiza style chillout sounds. One night, for whatever reason, they played 60s Detroit Northern and Motown for well over 2h. 

Social source share

About 15 years ago I had to go to Zante to survey some boats. I walked past a bar that had a poster in the window "Tuesday Night Is Soul Night With Darren". I thought that it could be interesting. I went in and the bar was owned by a couple from Sheffield, and playing over the speakers was a mixture of old northern and chart 70's soul. Anyway, just before 8 o'clock, Darren came in and started setting up his gear. Obviously I though it would be CDs or laptop, but beggars can't be choosers. Anyway the music started and it was the intro to Stand By Me. I still thought it would be OK, until Darren lifted the mic to his lips and with the best club singer voice started "When the night has come"!!  I didn't stay.

Paul

Edited by Paul R
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

The summer of 2019, we had three weeks staying in Molyvos on the Greek island of Lesvos. Having been there a number of times, it's a place we know well.

Anyway, late one morning we decide to go to a taverna that sits directly under Molyvos castle and has a brilliant view across the Aegean. Thinking more about brunch than breakfast, we ask if it might not be too early for moussaka. Dodo, the owner, happily obliged. All well and good.

Music was playing courtesy of a Greek radio station. I'm guessing one show changed for another because what we got next were lots of laid-back soul vibes. We were treated to Carlton Jumel Smith's "This is what loves look likes" - at that time a new release - Joe Bataan, and a whole host of excellent grooves.

The late morning turned into early afternoon. Moussaka led to Ouzo, and a fine day, filled with the most unexpected musical treats, was had. It was just perfect.

IMG_2318.jpg.6f5a882ffd68d731bef1b9c3c45ad551.jpg

Here's me on that very day, just finishing off my late-morning moussaka.

IMG_2215.jpg.37e7b7e4ef77131e9ee959c765bd74f7.jpg

And this is the night-time view of the castle from that same taverna.

On the same holiday, but in what is more of an expat bar than a local one (and one we typically avoid because of that), we walked in one evening on a rare visit. Playing over the sound system was Billie Davis - Stanky (get funky).

A Brit - older than me, so late-50s or early 60s - standing just inside the door, was proclaiming how this was his favourite Northern Soul tune. I engaged him in conversation - mentioning that I too was into the music, and that I ran small Northern Soul nights in Amsterdam, and had a website devoted to the Loma record label (www.lomarecords.com).

I don't recall exactly how the conversation went, but it was along the lines of...

Me: It's great that you love the music. I have a website devoted to Loma records.

Him: What? Lorna records?

Me: No, Loma.

Him: Roma records?

Me: No, Loma. You know, Roy Redmond "Ain't that terrible". Ben Aiken "Satisfied" and lots of others.

Him: No, never heard of it.

Me: Have a great night! 

:lol:

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
spelin
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Kefalonia, one hot afternoon. Walking with my wife past a bar with a dance floor. I could hear a tune playing from the pavement and I said "I know that song".  It took a few seconds and then I realised it was "Just An Illusion" by The Earls on Zudan!   So we had to go in and it turned out to be a lot of people from the UK on a Northern Soul holiday!

Edited by D9 Ktf
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!