Help on a 45?

Dobber
Go to solution Solved by Modernsoulsucks,

I heard a tune a couple of years back,its a rare 45,midtempo,almost doowop! Sounds like early 60’s and the title is either so blue,or im blue?

also i think i heard the group contained arthur conley?

ive seen the 45 once,and i doubt there is even a youtube clip!

thanks

lee

Social source share

On 17/01/2022 at 14:22, Dobber said:

Thats the bugga😀 nice one,what a tune,thanks my mate,i can nick it off youtube now…until the 45 appears 👍

Paul Havekin used to have this give him a try he still has it but think it would take a lot for him to part with it

Edited by Mark B
Extra information
Social source share

17 hours ago, Dobber said:

I heard a tune a couple of years back,its a rare 45,midtempo,almost doowop! Sounds like early 60’s and the title is either so blue,or im blue?

also i think i heard the group contained arthur conley?

ive seen the 45 once,and i doubt there is even a youtube clip!

thanks

lee

I'm pretty sure that the background group on "So Blue(Without You)" was The Dells, as VJ producer, Richard Parker, used the Dells on many of his VJ and Vivid productions, including Barbara Green's cuts.  Incidentally, Detroiter, Joe Murphy had been the lead singer of Berry Gordy's old songwriting partner, Billy Davis' R&B Harmony groups from 1952-1961, The Thrillers, The Five Jets, The Five Stars, and The Voice Masters (Anna Records), and was Joe in the duo of Lo(Lorrie Rudolph) and Joe, on Harvey and Gwen Gordy Fuqua's Harvey Records.  So, he had been around in the business since about 1950.  The Dells(as The El Reys) also had recorded their first record in 1952.  The Dells were a major back-up group for both Chess and VJ during the early 1960s.  Their classy harmony was one of the reasons why both companies had such great recordings during that period.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!