Funky Si's Virtual Birthday Party

Funky Si

:unsure: Happy Birthday to Me!

Down side of having a Birthday on a Monday - I have the day off but everyone else is getting their week's work started. :unsure:

So I'm going to play some of my favourite tunes & share them with whoever wants to join in. Please feel free to turn me on to new & old sounds, funk, soul, blues, jazz, whatever. Just keep smiling with me all day long! :yes:

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sing A Simple Song - sly & the family stone - direction

Warning, purists will find themselves tutting, chin strokers will be clutching their mandibles & I'm in trouble if the soul police locate my secret soul den! If you object to my choices, then please know that I am not trying to upset anyone - post up something you would see as more appropriate! I am always open to passionate, uplifting or inspiring soul/jazz/blues/funk music.

Social source share

Happy Birthday Funky Si from a fellow Yorkie. Still not sure how to post a choon up on here but being a dinosaur(according to some) you'd probably not care for my selections as I'm still stuck in the 60's although I am playing a bit more of the 70's these days.

Anyway have a good day and enjoy yourself.

Steve B

Social source share

Happy Birthday Funky Si from a fellow Yorkie. Still not sure how to post a choon up on here but being a dinosaur(according to some) you'd probably not care for my selections as I'm still stuck in the 60's although I am playing a bit more of the 70's these days.

Anyway have a good day and enjoy yourself.

Steve B

Cheers Steve, I love 60s music - I've just not got much in my collection apart from motown, Aretha, Jackie Wilson, James Brown, a few tunes I used to play at my early-80s Manchester Student Union 60s nights (Arther Conley, Joe Tex, Lee Dorsey, Sly Stone, etc), and a smattering of scratched old things from eBay job lots.

You can always add stuff from refosoul if you can't post you own sounds - you need to find the track in the Sounds section, find it's reference number (click on the little logo that looks like a piece of paper), then click on the Insert refosoul clip link in the Quick Access panel on the left side of the reply page. Put the reference number in & you're away. You'll need to add the name of the track too!

Funky Si - 44 today

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

you can fly in my aeroplane - wee - owl

free birthday trip in a plane...super soulful lp only cut from wee.happy birthday materuss

Social source share

Let The Good Times Roll and Feel so Good - bunny sigler - parkway

14618 refosoul

This is about as rare as my 60s collection gets, I'm sorry to say! I've not paid more than £10 for a single ..... I can hear those purists tutting & those mandibles being manhandled .....

Social source share

you can fly in my aeroplane - wee - owl

free birthday trip in a plane...super soulful lp only cut from wee.happy birthday materuss

Cheers mate - that's a hell of a present! unsure.png

I love this mellow tune - what on earth were they thinking of when they named their band though!?!

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

Cheers mate - that's a hell of a present! :unsure:

I love this mellow tune - what on earth were they thinking of when they named their band though!?!

yeah i think they were going to go with piss stinker but settled for wee instead :yes:

its a superb lp so heres another cut from it

Social source share

Shake and Fingerpop - jr. walker - soul

Why is Jr. Walker never mentioned as one of the inventors of funk? This was made in 1965 & it sounds funky to me .... Roadrunner is probably my top soul sound of all time - but then Higher & Higher, How Sweet It Is, Tracks of My Tears, etc are all probably my top soul sound of all time ...

Social source share

try me - wee - owl

14622 refosoul

different lp version of top rare dancer on 45

Great stuff - its got me grinning from ear to ear! :unsure:

I heard they were toying with 'Urination' & 'Shower Of Gold', but opted for 'Wee' instead as they wanted to be taken seriously!

Edited by Funky Si
Social source share

Let Your Mind Be Free - brother to brother - turbo

Just a good time boy really - don't get me wrong, I enjoy all the political threads & I have my serious side, but soul for me is about good times. If I want an argument, there's plenty of them happening in the real world. No need to go online to have a pointless slanging match, I find! So let you mind be free, stand firm stand tall, lets get it orn, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah ... You know it makes sense!

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Reel People Feat Sharlene Hector The Rain Rp Club Mix.mp3 - -

14627 refosoul Refosoul Rare and Northern Soul Clip library

Happy Birthday :unsure: hope you like this

Edited by Black Gold of the Sun
Social source share

You Are My Sunshine - dyke & the blazers - original sound

When it comes to deep down, low & dirty, soulful funk cover versions of silly pop songs, this one does it for me every time! Why are Dyke & the Blazers so seemingly unpopular? Are they too raucous for the soul fans & too soulful for the funksters? Did they commit some terrible offence & get put away by the soul police? Can anyone explain ....?

Social source share

Cheers Steve, I love 60s music - I've just not got much in my collection apart from motown, Aretha, Jackie Wilson, James Brown, a few tunes I used to play at my early-80s Manchester Student Union 60s nights (Arther Conley, Joe Tex, Lee Dorsey, Sly Stone, etc), and a smattering of scratched old things from eBay job lots.

You can always add stuff from refosoul if you can't post you own sounds - you need to find the track in the Sounds section, find it's reference number (click on the little logo that looks like a piece of paper), then click on the Insert refosoul clip link in the Quick Access panel on the left side of the reply page. Put the reference number in & you're away. You'll need to add the name of the track too!

Funky Si - 44 today

Right here goes nothing. Don't know where to put the title...............Why when love has gone - The Isley's

STILL DON'T KNOW WHERE TO PUT THE BL**DY TITLE....................Technology, huh................

Steve B

Social source share

Africa gone funky - screaming jay hawkins - london

14642 refosoul

Here you go Si I know you like your funk so heres one for ya, happy birthday fellaBlake

Fantastic stuff Blake - thanks for the tune - I know a little bit of Screamin Jay from the Wammee track that Wilco Johnson plays but i've never heard this before - fabulous. :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert