U.s. Record Labels

It never ceases to amaze me when I look through record boxes , that I come across a disc with yet another label that I have never seen before .

It has always interested me just how many labels are / were there ?

I know it is a question akin to " how long is a piece of string " - but does anybody know ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It never ceases to amaze me when I look through record boxes , that I come across a disc with yet another label that I have never seen before .

It has always interested me just how many labels are / were there ?

I know it is a question akin to " how long is a piece of string " - but does anybody know ?

Malc Burton

Malc,its as long as the string and a bit more,hope this helps biggrin.gif
Social source share

crikey ! thats a question for the proffesors of soul

I know ...... the question is akin to finding out the meaning of life .

Just how many labels there are / were , has always interested me ., and I guess it will be one there will never be an answer to .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

It's just a thought - but I guess even the smallest record labels would have protected their names by registering them as Trade Marks.

In the U.K. there is a Trade Mark classification - "Sound Records".

I guess it might be possible to search all the registrations of U.S. Trade Marks under their equivalent classification.

Would most likely have to be done in the U.S. where the appropriate documents could be accessed.

Don't know if it would work - but I'm just trying to apply a bit of lateral thinking.

MB

Social source share

It's just a thought - but I guess even the smallest record labels would have protected their names by registering them as Trade Marks.

In the U.K. there is a Trade Mark classification - "Sound Records".

I guess it might be possible to search all the registrations of U.S. Trade Marks under their equivalent classification.

Would most likely have to be done in the U.S. where the appropriate documents could be accessed.

Don't know if it would work - but I'm just trying to apply a bit of lateral thinking.

MB

Thanks for that .

I might give this option a try in my even older age .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I guess it will be one there will never be an answer to .....

Malc Burton

You're right, Malc - just think of all those hole-in-the-wall, one-single only companies that existed just to release a record by some proud parent's offspring that nobody ever got to hear about.

Think, too, about all the things that came out in the big cities that never got beyond the end of the block.

Then think about all the labels that don't get a mention in Bob McGrath's essential (if pricey) two volumes of "The R & B Indies" because they also released country, folk, polka or whatever music...

..then weep.

My friendly advice to you is to give up on this musing now, it's only one step from here to looking for hairs on the palm of your hand.

This way definitely lies madness... tongue.gif

TONE

Social source share

You're right, Malc - just think of all those hole-in-the-wall, one-single only companies that existed just to release a record by some proud parent's offspring that nobody ever got to hear about.

Think, too, about all the things that came out in the big cities that never got beyond the end of the block.

Then think about all the labels that don't get a mention in Bob McGrath's essential (if pricey) two volumes of "The R & B Indies" because they also released country, folk, polka or whatever music...

..then weep.

My friendly advice to you is to give up on this musing now, it's only one step from here to looking for hairs on the palm of your hand.

This way definitely lies madness... :thumbsup:

TONE

Hi Tony ....

Thanks for your reply .

As I originally stated , just how many labels there were / was / are , was a question that has always intrigued me ; I posted the question as I was curious to see whether someone out there knew the answer .

I am well aware that to set off on that quest for the answer - without ever seeing the light at the end of the tunnel appear for my efforts - would be foolhardy , and eventually drive me crazy . It is enough shaving this aging face , let alone taking the razor to my palms ....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert