Manual B. Holcolm & His Band – This Generation

Tommy1
Go to solution Solved by Tommy1,

I think 1967 or 1968 is more likely.

Diamond Jim's release #'s are erratic to say the least. While #1000 is from 1966 -it''s got the Linwood address at the bottom. By the time of E.J. and the Echoes release (late 1967) the company was using the Dexter street address which is what "This Generation" uses.  So late 1967 or 1968 seems make more sense.

Ali.jpg

Put.jpg

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, The Yank said:

I think 1967 or 1968 is more likely.

Diamond Jim's release #'s are erratic to say the least. While #1000 is from 1966 -it''s got the Linwood address at the bottom. By the time of E.J. and the Echoes release (late 1967) the company was using the Dexter street address which is what "This Generation" uses.  So late 1967 or 1968 seems make more sense.

Thanks! That's what I though too cos of the lyrics. His worries of the generation: “Lord, help this generation/ Help them love one another, Lord, and understand/ You know this generation, is getting out of hand”, could of course refer to the riots in Watts, but if it's late 1967 it could be Detroit, or if it's late 1968, it could be riots after the killing of Martin Luther King.  
I'm gonna use this in a book. Is there a way to be 100% sure? 

Social source share

I would go with 1968 but I'm not 100% positive.

If you look at the bottom of the label of the E.J. release (Dec. 1967) it says "Riley Productions-12328 Dexter, Detroit, Michigan 48206. A later release from August, 1968 also has the Riley Productions..... info. "This Generation" just uses  the Dexter Street address. There may be another reason why this info is on some late '67/ early '68 releases. This coupled with a random release numbering system makes it very hard to be sure. 

E.J. 3.jpg

Edited by The Yank
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• Solution
7 hours ago, The Yank said:

I would go with 1968 but I'm not 100% positive.

If you look at the bottom of the label of the E.J. release (Dec. 1967) it says "Riley Productions-12328 Dexter, Detroit, Michigan 48206. A later release from August, 1968 also has the Riley Productions..... info. "This Generation" just uses  the Dexter Street address. There may be another reason why this info is on some late '67/ early '68 releases. This coupled with a random release numbering system makes it very hard to be sure. 

I see. Thanks a lot for your help!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!