The Holidays - I Lost You, Question.

Mal C
Go to solution Solved by G F,

My notes, say, 'I Lost You'  Is actually Steve Mancha, written by Tony Hester.  Steve didn't like the flip song 'Easy Livin' , He could not imagine singing a song like this on stage as it had so many words in it, so it got released as 'The Holidays'.

although Tim Brown in his latest auction, says;

Another supreme piece of Detroit soul music sees the famed group (who had nearly as many line-ups as The Drifters) appear just the one time on Don Davis’ label. Eddie Anderson is lead on this one, but the flipside ‘Easy Living’ is actually Steve Mancha and was released as J.J. Barnes by UK Stax! Not only that but the group’s name was misspelt on this one – make little wonder that it is rare.

So easy Livin, is Steve Mancha, but 'I Lost You' is 'Eddie Anderson'? cause I thought both were Steve Mancha...

224250_hollidays.jpg

Social source share

2 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

This is Steve Mancha only,on both sides.He was not happy recording Easy Living as it had to many lyrics.However Don Davis talked him into recording both sides hence being credited to the Hollidays,this also led to the confusion of Easy Living being credited to JJ Barnes on the Rare Stemps album.

That’s what I heard too Chris.. easy living later credited to J J for the uk release later on

Social source share

55 minutes ago, Mal C said:

still in inclusive, although Steve deffo refers to Easy Livin’ and it sounds as if he confirms both tracks, he doesn’t actually say it on ‘I lost you’…

‘I lost you’ sounds to me like a different singer. 

This is 100 percent Steve Mancha,the reason there is no mention of I lost you is because it's the B side hence no need to mention it.

Social source share

Sounds and feels like Steve Mancha to me but only singing almost 'unwillingly'. Most evidently on the 'I lost you' side I mean where the singing sounds unenthusiastic. Although we know he clearly didn't want his name associated with 'easy living' mostly.

Evidently an against nature recording session for him. Like Steve Mancha it's a 45 I never liked. Way before realizing better who were these Hollidays or got to know Steve Mancha's gear better and the soul hero he'll turn out to be for many of us.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

Ok, managed to push this on a bit, and get a responce from the horses mouth. I asked Tim, and he says he thinks it's 'Eddie Anderson' on lead, because one, it sounds like him, and two, they had seen the name on some masters relating to that release.  He said it might not be, but that what he thinks... 

Made me laugh, he said if somebody like him says that, it must be true!! lol

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 04/11/2023 at 18:24, Mal C said:

still in inclusive, although Steve deffo refers to Easy Livin’ and it sounds as if he confirms both tracks, he doesn’t actually say it on ‘I lost you’…

‘I lost you’ sounds to me like a different singer. 

Just listened again to that part of the interview and Steve mentions 'I Lost You' right after I refer to 'Easy Living' (13:27). If he hadn't recorded it, he would surely have said something.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

47 minutes ago, G F said:

Just listened again to that part of the interview and Steve mentions 'I Lost You' right after I refer to 'Easy Living' (13:27). If he hadn't recorded it, he would surely have said something.

So I do get Mal C point but indeed as you also refer more precisely to the way Steve talks about it when you ask him about his record credited to 'the Hollidays' his instant response goes ; 'Easy Living' and 'I've Lost You' . Meaning he talks about the record and BOITH sides of it. The same way I hear you and all the rest of it that point out that way.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!