Christmas! - bah humbug?

Soul Salad

A few years ago a sweet little old man approached me in a supermarket on Christmas eve with his microwave Chicken dinner for one. He was obviously in for a chat, he kept asking me which pudding he should get, i chose a microwave a jam turnover thing and made "very" small talk with him wished him Happy Christmas and went about my business, i was at work and it was my lunch hour. It wasn't until a few days later i thought about him.

I've never forgotten this and i WISH i had spent some time with him and engaged in some happy conversation. He may have had family and friends, but he may not have and TBH pretty sure he didn't.  I think about that a lot especially over the Christmas period and i vowed never ever to do that again.

In my line of work i meet many older folk and it really amazes me how many are alone and lonely not only at Christmas (albeit very magnified) but generally on their own throughout the year and of course many others young/middle aged (me!) either on the streets or in a particularly unhappy home environment (yes my heart bleeds for these poor children)

So for me, i DO love Christmas Eve/Christmas day/Boxing day but i ALWAYS feel guilty enjoying myself - i shouldn't but i do.

Probably FAR too deep for a NS Forum?? but just felt like sharing my thoughts.🙂

Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!