• Views 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Anyone please??

Be careful with this one - like a good many 1950s Specialty 45s, it was legitimately re-pressed, by Specialty Records themselves, way into the 60s. The originals have a thin yellow wavy line through the black stripe that separates the logo half of the label from the label copy half. Later pressings don't have that line, although I stress again that these are not boots and that they are 100% legit, later pressings.

The other way to tell the difference is that the vinyl on the original press is quite heavy, the later pressings are much lighter to the touch.

Social source share

Be careful with this one - like a good many 1950s Specialty 45s, it was legitimately re-pressed, by Specialty Records themselves, way into the 60s. The originals have a thin yellow wavy line through the black stripe that separates the logo half of the label from the label copy half. Later pressings don't have that line, although I stress again that these are not boots and that they are 100% legit, later pressings.

The other way to tell the difference is that the vinyl on the original press is quite heavy, the later pressings are much lighter to the touch.

Tony, Are you sure that isn't the other way around?

ie the thin yellow wavy line through the thick black stripe indicates the legit re-issue?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, Are you sure that isn't the other way around?

ie the thin yellow wavy line through the thick black stripe indicates the legit re-issue?

Actually, it seems a little more complicated than that, now I've dug a bit deeper into my Specialty collection.

For years it was the accepted wisdon that wavy line = original and no line = repress. However, here's a sampling of my Specialty 45 collection which both proves and disproves that.

First, a guaranteed 100% original of "Please Mr. Jailer":

...followed by a 100% guaranteed repress of:

...and an original of this old 6T's West Hampstead classic:

...followed by a 100% guaranteed, red vinyl repress of my favourite record on the whole label:

...and , for good measure, an original 45 of Sam Cooke's debut secular release:

...and a mid 80s first time issue of a great Little Richard rocker:

So, to revise what I originally said a bit, and to really confuse the issue now:

Wavy line = originals and 1980s repressings

No line = later originals and 1960s/early 70s pressings

You can also tell a 1980s repressing by the fact that most of them - and certainly all of the handful that I have - are 'see through' when you hold them up to a light...

...I think I need a lie down after all that, but before I do I would say that it's probably best to actually physically see what you're buying before making a purchase on this label.

One thing I'm absolutely certain about it that none of these are repressings (LOL)!:

Enjoy the labels...

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...and some more old design labels!

...and this was the first ever Specialty release - Juke Box being that label's first incarnation:

TONE

Social source share

Guest santa

Are there any difference in the sound quality of the repress and the OG? iF NOT ill gladly take the 2nd press....

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Are there any difference in the sound quality of the repress and the OG? iF NOT ill gladly take the 2nd press....

Sorry, should have mentioned that earlier - all 2nd press Specialty 45s should sound as as good as the 1st press ones. Better, in some ways, in that they are usually mint! I've got a 1st pressing of "Harper's Express" (which I showed a label scan for, on red vinyl) and both the 2nd press copies I've got are excatly the same (only less worn, as they're newer!)

TONE

Social source share

Source Advert