Mere Of Scarboro Social Club. 21/7/07

As the song says, "You been away a little to long & I've been crying since you've been gone", well my friends cry no more, as after a 3 week enforced sabatical due to BT cocking up my broadband, I'm back with a vengence, so pin your lugholes back because it review time. :P

Once again I'm the designated driver (wife don't drive, just verbals), so off into uncharted country that is Scarborough & it's Soul Scene, straight forward drive of 50 mins (roads clear & car fast) from the metropolis of Goole to Scarboro by the sea, missed entrance to club as it looked like greasy spoon cafe planted in B&Q's carpark (looks can be deceiving) but turned around & entered the large carpark, we felt a little unsure as only 4 cars were parked up but we grabbed our coats & made tracks to the function room where Mrs Jinxy (Angela?sorry) took a meagre £6 for Gail & mine entrance monies. :D

I quickly took in my surroundings (mostly which direction bar was), a large stage with Dj's to the right with a reasonable size dancefloor in front & bonket type seating with tables running down either side, to my left a large seating area with tables & behind that a very nice & even more important a very cheap bar, although I personally couldn't make full use of the facility being No 1 driver. :wub::D

Only a few in at this early stage but that rapidly changed running up to 10pm, it was nice to see a lot of familiar faces from our neck of the woods & a little surprising, but that just shows "Jinxy" is well thought of (well his Mum loves him), the more than familiar faces started with my mates & main protagonists, Nell, Yocky & their 24 carat gold ladies Jean & Joy, Kim & his lovely lady from Selby (sorry memory erased), Colin & Bridget, Ken & Carolyn & friends of York,Stevo,Sharon & mates also York, Little Miss Souls (Rosies) parents (Andy & Jane? dementia again!!) with surrogate son "Soul Boy Simms", Steve Woomble & Louby & friends, to those I've missed I apologise. :wub:

Down to the reason we where there, the music!! An eclectic mix of Oldies, not so well known Oldies, recent monsters & a smattering of Modern (ish) which kept the dancefloor gyrating & pulsating till the end. The gentlemen providing the cornucopia of tracks were; Jinxy,Kim,Yocky & Steve Woomble, Steve's set for me was "Numero Uno", oozing class with old & modern, with a track new to me called "Man" by the Topics, EXCELLENT young man, carry on. thumbup.gif

So a good night for all involved, both promotor, Dj's & punters, that was brought to a ceremonial ending with the now obligatory unfurling of the "Yocky's Jocky's" & a sighting of the "Shreddies". On that vivid image, now burnt into my psychy for eternity, I'll end as you can't say much more really, can you!!!!! Except we will be back, with more in tow next time. wink.gif

So till we meet again, Take care & be safe,

Spot. :wub:

Edited by spot
  • Replies 2
  • Views 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest soul kitten

Indeed was an unexpected pleasure to see you and your good lady wife there ,

First time for us at the Mere as well,last minute decision to go and support our good mate Mr Woomble,who never lets me down with his own special style of djing,although it did take a while for the "Scarborough Lets have you" and the open arms to appear :):(

Excellent as always :wicked:

now enough making Woombles head bigger.Don t think we ve heard much of Yockie before ,hope this will be the first of many, had us up dancing ,good mixture played,and yes you don t look like Soul Sam.

Throughly enjoyed ourselves ,good company ,music and as Spot said cheap beer,which Steve did manage to take full advantage of :yes: ,no change there.

even managed to "ski in the snow" at the end but now we are older have been promoted to snow boarding ph34r.gif:(

As the song says, "You been away a little to long & I've been crying since you've been gone", well my friends cry no more, as after a 3 week enforced sabatical due to BT cocking up my broadband, I'm back with a vengence, so pin your lugholes back because it review time. :wave:

Once again I'm the designated driver (wife don't drive, just verbals), so off into uncharted country that is Scarborough & it's Soul Scene, straight forward drive of 50 mins (roads clear & car fast) from the metropolis of Goole to Scarboro by the sea, missed entrance to club as it looked like greasy spoon cafe planted in B&Q's carpark (looks can be deceiving) but turned around & entered the large carpark, we felt a little unsure as only 4 cars were parked up but we grabbed our coats & made tracks to the function room where Mrs Jinxy (Angela?sorry) took a meagre £6 for Gail & mine entrance monies. :thumbsup:

I quickly took in my surroundings (mostly which direction bar was), a large stage with Dj's to the right with a reasonable size dancefloor in front & bonket type seating with tables running down either side, to my left a large seating area with tables & behind that a very nice & even more important a very cheap bar, although I personally couldn't make full use of the facility being No 1 driver. :beer: :no:

Only a few in at this early stage but that rapidly changed running up to 10pm, it was nice to see a lot of familiar faces from our neck of the woods & a little surprising, but that just shows "Jinxy" is well thought of (well his Mum loves him), the more than familiar faces started with my mates & main protagonists, Nell, Yocky & their 24 carat gold ladies Jean & Joy, Kim & his lovely lady from Selby (sorry memory erased), Colin & Bridget, Ken & Carolyn & friends of York,Stevo,Sharon & mates also York, Little Miss Souls (Rosies) parents (Andy & Jane? dementia again!!) with surrogate son "Soul Boy Simms", Steve Woomble & Louby & friends, to those I've missed I apologise. :blush:

Down to the reason we where there, the music!! An eclectic mix of Oldies, not so well known Oldies, recent monsters & a smattering of Modern (ish) which kept the dancefloor gyrating & pulsating till the end. The gentlemen providing the cornucopia of tracks were; Jinxy,Kim,Yocky & Steve Woomble, Steve's set for me was "Numero Uno", oozing class with old & modern, with a track new to me called "Man" by the Topics, EXCELLENT young man, carry on. :thumbup:

So a good night for all involved, both promotor, Dj's & punters, that was brought to a ceremonial ending with the now obligatory unfurling of the "Yocky's Jocky's" & a sighting of the "Shreddies". On that vivid image, now burnt into my psychy for eternity, I'll end as you can't say much more really, can you!!!!! Except we will be back, with more in tow next time. ;)

So till we meet again, Take care & be safe,

Spot. :shades:

didn't know about this one -where was it advertised?

Shame cos looks like was a good 'un and Steve Woomble 2 -great guy and DJ . Looking forward to sharing the billing with Steve and John Vincent at the excellent EASC @City Club , Peterbrough , Sat 3 Nov -proceeds to NSPCC and hope to see soul sourcers there.

Andy Bellwood

SOUL REPUBLIC. A FREE WEEKEND OF UNDERGROUND SOUL UNDER THE SUN. PERPIGNAN South Of France. Fri 17th & Sat 18th Of August.Tony Jackson.Andy Bellwood.Paul Rockey.Maria Willingham.Chris Morgan.Chic.Guy Joseph.Les Hare.Raphi 'Scorcher'+ Guests. www.freewebs.com/wesoulrepublic

Edited by YKSoulandy

Source Advert